Teen behind Microsoft and Sony DDOS hacks sentenced to 2 years in jail

_95778297_hacker2.jpg

Adam Mudd, the person behind multiple security breaches and hacks against companies such Sony, Microsoft, Runescape, and more, has just been sentenced to two years in jail by a UK judge. Mudd, age 20, was responsible for creating "Titanium Stresser", a program that was able to send denial of service attacks to countless vulnerable websites. 181 IP addresses were affected from 594 attacks by Mudd, who then sold the program for £386k, allowing for hackers to wreak havoc upon more than 660k IP addresses. He then carried out attacks on Sony and Microsoft servers, taking online capabilities down for hours at a time. Mudd's defense claimed that there was no ill intent, and Mudd only did the previously stated crimes for attention. Judge Micheal Topolski, however, ruled that Mudd has clear knowledge of the repercussions of his dealings, stating ""I'm entirely satisfied that you knew full well and understood completely this was not a game for fun. I have a duty to the public who are worried about this, threatened by this, damaged by this all the time," and sentenced him to 2 years in a correctional facility.

:arrow: Source

Hurtz007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he had DDoSed some scammers then he wouldn't have gotten caught and even if he did get caught somehow then all that would happen is a slap on the wrist and a big ol pat on the back!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I wanted to post the same thing. Like I said earlier, if it were anything else nothing would have happened to the dude, hell, I don't think even Jagex by itself would have enough clout to actually get charges pressed.

Getting charges pressed is easy. The problem was always going to be identifying him. We have no idea how they found him, it may be that they are contacting anyone offering ddos services and tracking payments etc. He might have done stupid, like paying for something with bitcoin. They are actively looking for people like this right now, they aren't just sitting by a red telephone waiting for microsoft (or some other big company) to phone.

True there is that, also he might just bought them, from the deep web etc.

(Sorry if my grammars bad.)

AFAICT from the story, he wrote malware and then rented out the botnet on the dark web. He did some DDOSing as well, but that was probably just part of his testing/marketing. But the story is not necessarily a good indication of what happened, it's based on a reporters interpretation of the cps and the defence. The cps lie to make it look worse than it was, the defence lie to make it look better than it was. The judge distils that, but it doesn't mean that it the truth.

Last edited by smf,

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
386k? Son of a bitch.
If he just gets 2 years for this, that's a damn good deal. Got to fuck with big companies and make swag.
That's a pretty impressive resume for a 20 year old though.

What's funny is he could probably get away with that 400k with no jail time if he didn't attack Sony and Microsoft which were probably the ones to trace him back.

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
2 years? That's it?? The little douche should be locked up for five times that at least. People who issue DDOS attacks need to be locked up and forbidden from using the internet indefinitely.
From his side of view, he didn't realize how serieus it was. He was overwelmed by his skulls an the capabilitizrd of the internet. He just lost 2 years of his life for testing his knwoledge. Instead of jail time they should use his knoLedge/skills and teach hil the concequences of his actions. He could be a valuable asset

SovietKitKat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He'll just end up bitter after prison and use his knowledge for even worse shit to make a living now that his chance of a decent career is pretty much nonexistent. He also probably won't be picked up by a cyber security company because a determined nine year old could learn how to DDoS.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From his side of view, he didn't realize how serieus it was. He was overwelmed by his skulls an the capabilitizrd of the internet. He just lost 2 years of his life for testing his knwoledge. Instead of jail time they should use his knoLedge/skills and teach hil the concequences of his actions. He could be a valuable asset
That's bullshit. He knew damn well it was wrong and he intended for it to be used maliciously. He deserves more than what he got as punishment. He intentionally created software that was intended to be used maliciously and break the law, he didn't download a game or take a joke too far.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's funny is he could probably get away with that 400k with no jail time if he didn't attack Sony and Microsoft which were probably the ones to trace him back.

The sites he attacked were determined by his customers. If it was automated then he may not even have been aware what sites were being attacked. It was the Police and the National Crime Agency that traced him.

http://www.bobfm.co.uk/news/local-n...e-tool-from-his-bedroom-jailed-for-two-years/

"The police operation into Mudd was internationally recognised, with investigators receiving the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) Blue Light Digital Award for its use of advanced digital forensics last month."

http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/about-us/what-we-do/national-cyber-crime-unit

That's bullshit. He knew damn well it was wrong and he intended for it to be used maliciously. He deserves more than what he got as punishment. He intentionally created software that was intended to be used maliciously and break the law, he didn't download a game or take a joke too far.

Jokes are often malicious, like trolling online memorial pages. People are dumb and don't think of the consequences, especially when they are sitting there typing on their computer. It's as if they are playing a computer game.

Two years in prison, or if he is released early then he'll have to report to probation & they can send him back if he breaks any conditions of his release, is not a light sentence. He'll have to declare his conviction to any employers who ask, so he'll struggle to find employment. He probably won't be able to keep any of the money he made as they are going to recover whatever they can, if they think he's not doing enough to return the money then he can have another 16 years added (although they would likely be less than that).

Most importantly, it's expensive to keep someone in prison, so the longer the sentence the more it costs the tax payers. So we don't want to give him a long sentence for a laugh.

heraymo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Adam Mudd, the person behind multiple security breaches and hacks against companies such Sony, Microsoft, Runescape, and more, has just been sentenced to two years in jail by a UK judge. Mudd, age 20, was responsible for creating "Titanium Stresser", a program that was able to send denial of service attacks to countless vulnerable websites. 181 IP addresses were affected from 594 attacks by Mudd, who then sold the program for £386k, allowing for hackers to wreak havoc upon more than 660k IP addresses. He then carried out attacks on Sony and Microsoft servers, taking online capabilities down for hours at a time. Mudd's defense claimed that there was no ill intent, and Mudd only did the previously stated crimes for attention. Judge Micheal Topolski, however, ruled that Mudd has clear knowledge of the repercussions of his dealings, stating ""I'm entirely satisfied that you knew full well and understood completely this was not a game for fun. I have a duty to the public who are worried about this, threatened by this, damaged by this all the time," and sentenced him to 2 years in a correctional facility.

:arrow: Source
DDOS attacks are not hacking. there is a huge difference. anyone with the right tools can ddos. swear i want to slap a bitch everytime they call it hacking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online over nps is the only reason you'd want wifi
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued