Teen behind Microsoft and Sony DDOS hacks sentenced to 2 years in jail

_95778297_hacker2.jpg

Adam Mudd, the person behind multiple security breaches and hacks against companies such Sony, Microsoft, Runescape, and more, has just been sentenced to two years in jail by a UK judge. Mudd, age 20, was responsible for creating "Titanium Stresser", a program that was able to send denial of service attacks to countless vulnerable websites. 181 IP addresses were affected from 594 attacks by Mudd, who then sold the program for £386k, allowing for hackers to wreak havoc upon more than 660k IP addresses. He then carried out attacks on Sony and Microsoft servers, taking online capabilities down for hours at a time. Mudd's defense claimed that there was no ill intent, and Mudd only did the previously stated crimes for attention. Judge Micheal Topolski, however, ruled that Mudd has clear knowledge of the repercussions of his dealings, stating ""I'm entirely satisfied that you knew full well and understood completely this was not a game for fun. I have a duty to the public who are worried about this, threatened by this, damaged by this all the time," and sentenced him to 2 years in a correctional facility.

:arrow: Source

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First offense, two years is a fair sentence. And I'm sure with good behavior he'd be out sooner.

Also, he kinda looks like that actor from Superbad.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Illegal substances.. What else?

Posession is pretty slack in the UK in most cases your looking at a fine and possibly some community service.

Class A Maximum: 7 years’ custody Offence range: Fine – 51 weeks’ custody
Class B Maximum: 5 years’ custody Offence range: Discharge – 26 weeks’ custody
Class C Maximum: 2 years’ custody Offence range: Discharge – Community order

http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk..._Offences_Definitive_Guideline_final_web1.pdf

S

Saiyan Lusitano

ermergerrd! He messed with our video games! Two years is way too short for a kid messing with mah vidya gaems! Give him life in prison!
:rolleyes:
Don't belittle the situation. He knew damn well what he was doing and he got caught.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ermergerrd! He messed with our video games! Two years is way too short for a kid messing with mah vidya gaems! Give him life in prison!
:rolleyes:
Yeah I wanted to post the same thing. Like I said earlier, if it were anything else nothing would have happened to the dude, hell, I don't think even Jagex by itself would have enough clout to actually get charges pressed.

I bet if he was taking down some of those copyright enforcement firms or RIAA/MPAA servers, people here would be calling him a martyr, but if you fuck with them vidja gaymz, so help me god!

Reactions: KingpinSlim

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't belittle the situation. He knew damn well what he was doing and he got caught.
I'm not belittling the situation. He did the crime and will be serving two years in prison. Seems reasonable. I'm belittling all little balls of anger on here that think he needs to serve a greater sentence because he affected their online video game playing. He didn't kill anyone, or steal credit card info.

Think anyone here would be calling for a larger sentence if he was going to prison for piracy?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I wanted to post the same thing. Like I said earlier, if it were anything else nothing would have happened to the dude, hell, I don't think even Jagex by itself would have enough clout to actually get charges pressed.

I bet if he was taking down some of those copyright enforcement firms or RIAA/MPAA servers, people here would be calling him a martyr, but if you fuck with them vidja gaymz, so help me god!

Why do people assume it's because of video games? Hm? The concept of a larger issue too much for some of you? This inbred twat gave people a tool to do much more than kill video games.

rad3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We all know how this ends... he will be set for life and offered a job. Basically Microsoft and Sony will be competing to hire him.
I doubt that. DDoS attacks like this are just shitty behavior, not really genius stuff.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In other words, this kid knew exactly what he was doing and has no respect for the law. Serves him right. I'd say they let him off lightly, but one of my cousins went to two years in jail for possession of cocaine so kinda weird making the comparison.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
386k? Son of a bitch.
If he just gets 2 years for this, that's a damn good deal. Got to fuck with big companies and make swag.
That's a pretty impressive resume for a 20 year old though.
Good luck finding any job with criminal charges for having sold critical data to malicious people. I'm sure companies will fight in the queue to hire him first.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know wether to call him an assbag, or give props for doing it.
Not bad for a 20 year old tho
*Claps hands in congrats while scowling*

K

KingpinSlim

I personally do not agree with what he did, but i do not think someone so young should be incarcerated for something like this.
I do not believe jails can actually help rehabilitate someone.
Therapy and assisted living would have been a better choice, if it was up to me.
He certainly has some anti-social tendencies, but jail is only going to make that worse.
At the end you get someone even more dangerous than before.

Reactions: spiderman1216

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night