Teach me English please

ProfiSuchti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey dear English and American People,

i am 21 Years old and i started learning with 6 Years old (My Family is from Persia, and i borned in Germany.I cant speak Farsi/Persia, but i speak Great Germany and good English soon XD) the Language English trough Video Games like PS1 Games etc.

In every class at School i had the Note 1 (I think English or US People say "A", thats the best Note) in the English Lessons.

But i am still not happy with my Self. If someone SPEAKS english, i dont understand him so good. But if someone WRITES on English, i understand him PERFECT.I understand every single word, even NEW Words that i never had read before.I just read what People write on English, and if i see a word that i never read before, the Message of the guy still makes sense for me so i learn trough this Word because i can imagine very good what the New Word does means.

My Biggest Problem in English is the SPEAKING. I cant speak good, and i cant understand good english if someone else Talks.
I can write better English, thats all. The Funniest thing is, i write only good English, but if someone else writes on English, i understand him Better than myself on English XD.

Well, i am actually Playing the Game Rune Factory 4 and i guess American Language is not 100% the same like English Language, and i have more interest about American Language (Because i have over 500 Contacts that live in USA, and i have only like 7 Friends in GERMAN XD) than English.

In the Game Rune Factory 4 at the Beginning i read a text: "Are you Settin' out to do a bit o' sightseeing ? "
If i try to Translate it (i tried alot of Apps and Softwares on PC+Mobile), they Translator tools dont Translate me the 3 Words which are important for me to learn them.

So, i start now to ask my first Question here: What does Settin means ? (Just explain me the word on English, i will understand you people), i mean: What does it means in combination with " ' " ? I dont understand words with a " ' " and the end of the words.

I Guess Settin is like Driving, but for Ships, right ? but for what is the " ' " ?

And what does o' means ? Does it means "Off,of,on" or "oh" ?

If i put the " o' " away in the translator, the word sightseeing gets translatet, but the Full Text doenst makes sense still ( i know the Translator dont translates right, thats why i am here^^). So its important that i know what this O' means, and i guess "sightseeing" means something like moving in another City (only for few days or something, not to life there) to watch the City and hear about the Citys story etc. am i right ?

ProfiSuchti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh, i was not Sure that American English is not 100% the same like England English Hahaha, but yeah that was one of my Questions too, if the 2 Countrys are different from Language (maybe not that much but it seems it is different).

I want to Learn AMERICAN English and not England English :DDDD.

ps. I love this Forum, i love this Community, its so nice here *_*.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Things that helped me were: keep trying, watch English content, listen to English shows, play videogames in English, read and write a lot, talk with people. Improving and trying is the key!

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey dear English and American People,

i am 21 Years old and i started learning with 6 Years old (My Family is from Persia, and i borned in Germany.I cant speak Farsi/Persia, but i speak Great Germany and good English soon XD) the Language English trough Video Games like PS1 Games etc.

In every class at School i had the Note 1 (I think English or US People say "A", thats the best Note) in the English Lessons.

But i am still not happy with my Self. If someone SPEAKS english, i dont understand him so good. But if someone WRITES on English, i understand him PERFECT.I understand every single word, even NEW Words that i never had read before.I just read what People write on English, and if i see a word that i never read before, the Message of the guy still makes sense for me so i learn trough this Word because i can imagine very good what the New Word does means.

My Biggest Problem in English is the SPEAKING. I cant speak good, and i cant understand good english if someone else Talks.
I can write better English, thats all. The Funniest thing is, i write only good English, but if someone else writes on English, i understand him Better than myself on English XD.

Well, i am actually Playing the Game Rune Factory 4 and i guess American Language is not 100% the same like English Language, and i have more interest about American Language (Because i have over 500 Contacts that live in USA, and i have only like 7 Friends in GERMAN XD) than English.

In the Game Rune Factory 4 at the Beginning i read a text: "Are you Settin' out to do a bit o' sightseeing ? "
If i try to Translate it (i tried alot of Apps and Softwares on PC+Mobile), they Translator tools dont Translate me the 3 Words which are important for me to learn them.

So, i start now to ask my first Question here: What does Settin means ? (Just explain me the word on English, i will understand you people), i mean: What does it means in combination with " ' " ? I dont understand words with a " ' " and the end of the words.

I Guess Settin is like Driving, but for Ships, right ? but for what is the " ' " ?

And what does o' means ? Does it means "Off,of,on" or "oh" ?

If i put the " o' " away in the translator, the word sightseeing gets translatet, but the Full Text doenst makes sense still ( i know the Translator dont translates right, thats why i am here^^). So its important that i know what this O' means, and i guess "sightseeing" means something like moving in another City (only for few days or something, not to life there) to watch the City and hear about the Citys story etc. am i right ?
Das o' das du meinst ist einfach eine Abkürzung für "of" wie in " a bit of sightseeing" (gehst du ein bisschen auf besichtigung?)
The o' what you mean stands for "of", like in "a bit of sightseeing"

Reactions: ProfiSuchti

ProfiSuchti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Things that helped me were: keep trying, watch English content, listen to English shows, play videogames in English, read and write a lot, talk with people. Improving and trying is the key!
I am reading long years ago and i still find myself not good enough at writing ^^.

I have a small Problem too in English words like: "I open now the Door", "i openED yesterday the door". If i am looking for words in a past time, i put only a "ing" or a "ed" at the end like the word "Open -> Opened" or "read -> Readed (Even if its wrong, i dont know that haha). And my English Friends improve for me my wrong words and tell it me, so i learn from the words ^^ and i am thankful to them, for theyr Support.

Das o' das du meinst ist einfach eine Abkürzung für "of" wie in " a bit of sightseeing" (gehst du ein bisschen auf besichtigung?)
The o' what you mean stands for "of", like in "a bit of sightseeing"

Haha great, you write your Text on English and German, thats a good idea too, from that i learn faster ^^.
Btw: I was scared where you whispered ("WhisperED", idk if this is now right or not XD) me and sayd youre German. Thats very cool, i thought i am the only one from German that is on this Forum (seems that is a "Global" Forum, from every single country are People here) ^^.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am reading long years ago and i still find myself not good enough at writing ^^.

I have a small Problem too in English words like: "I open now the Door", "i openED yesterday the door". If i am looking for words in a past time, i put only a "ing" or a "ed" at the end like the word "Open -> Opened" or "read -> Readed (Even if its wrong, i dont know that haha). And my English Friends improve for me my wrong words and tell it me, so i learn from the words ^^ and i am thankful to them, for theyr Support.

Haha great, you write your Text on English and German, thats a good idea too, from that i learn faster ^^.
Btw: I was scared where you whispered ("WhisperED", idk if this is now right or not XD) me and sayd youre German. Thats very cool, i thought i am the only one from German that is on this Forum (seems that is a "Global" Forum, from every single country are People here) ^^.
There are people from everywhere in this forum, so don't feel alone

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Don't worry about it :)

Practice is what made me improve! I was really bad a couple of years ago. Keep trying, efforts pay off :D

ProfiSuchti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Don't worry about it :)

Practice is what made me improve! I was really bad a couple of years ago. Keep trying, efforts pay off :D

So youre main Language was not English ? from where do you come ? :D.

And thank you all again <3 (Best Community <3 <3 <3)

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
So youre main Language was not English ? from where do you come ? :D.

And thank you all again <3 (Best Community <3 <3 <3)
I'm from Canada, but my native language was french :P

And welcome buddy :)

ProfiSuchti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Really ? :O. Thats a nice story, can you tell more about that ?

Do you moved from French to Canada or do you borned in Canada and are still in Canada ? (I make popcorn and read everything now *_*).

I hope its okay if we talk about things like this in this Forum ? I choosed Off-Topic so everyone can writes here anything and i will write to, to improve my English.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Do you moved from French to Canada or do you borned in Canada and are still in Canada ? (I make popcorn and read everything now *_*).

I hope its okay if we talk about things like this in this Forum ? I choosed Off-Topic so everyone can writes here anything and i will write to, to improve my English.
Yeah, its totally okay

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm from Canada, but my native language was french :P

And welcome buddy :)
Je parle francais

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

I actually was born in Canada. In the Québec province, 80% of the population speak French :P

ProfiSuchti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I read and write British English, and of course I prefer it. Unfortunately, American English is okay to me but I still prefer British English. I m going to have some tea tomorrow, anybody wants some?^_^

Wait, you speak British and English at once ? Do British doesnt Sounds like Poland ? or is British not Poland ? i guess yes if i remember right ^^.

Yeah, its totally okay

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Je parle francais

ProfiSuchti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I actually was born in Canada. In the Québec province, 80% of the population speak French :P
Oh sorry, i missed your Text.

I am so Confused now (I had everytime the Note 6 in Geography.I was the badest from all in my Class, or even my School XD), Now Explain me someone: What is Canada and what is USA ? Is Canada a City IN USA where much French People Live ? Like Chinatown (I know Chinaknown only because the Game GTA on PC, idk the City is real or not XD), its in USA but in the City are much people Chinese. Thats funny ^.^.

British is English. It uses different words though. American English uses Pants (Hose) and British English uses Trousers

Now i feel myself Better. I know already the Words Pants, but i didnt know that AMERICAN People says that :O . So now i know all the time i learned more American English, than England English trough my US Friends and my US Games haha.

I still dont Understand British. Is British a City in ENGLAND ? I am so Confused i swear haha.If yes: So British English is England English am i right ? i never heared about the word Trousers. So that shows me that i really learned more American English than British/England English XD.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Oh sorry, i missed your Text.

I am so Confused now (I had everytime the Note 6 in Geography.I was the badest from all in my Class, or even my School XD), Now Explain me someone: What is Canada and what is USA ? Is Canada a City IN USA where much French People Live ? Like Chinatown (I know Chinaknown only because the Game GTA on PC, idk the City is real or not XD), its in USA but in the City are much people Chinese. Thats funny ^.^.
Canada is a country above the USA :)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, you speak British and English at once ? Do British doesnt Sounds like Poland ? or is British not Poland ? i guess yes if i remember right ^^.

LOL! You understand... America English uses color and favorite and British English uses colour and favourite. Both are different spellings of the same word. Favorite is the preferred spelling in the U.S., while favourite is preferred in all the other main varieties of English. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)