Hacking Taking apart the WII for modchip installation.

crumpster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well its time to start looking into taking apart the Wii for the modchip installation. So far this, http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=677908&rl=1 is the best guide I've found. I've also found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shLqQitbdZI video of someone taking it apart but its bad quality. If you have any good pics / docs on taking it apart post here. I've got the games ready to play, now its time to learn how to take apart the system and practice soldering.

English text video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8epujddQTc&eurl=

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well its time to start looking into taking apart the Wii for the modchip installation. So far this, http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=677908&rl=1 is the best guide I've found. I've also found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shLqQitbdZI video of someone taking it apart but its bad quality. If you have any good pics / docs on taking it apart post here. I've got the games ready to play, now its time to learn how to take apart the system and practice soldering.

English text video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8epujddQTc&eurl=

Just do yourself a favor and practice soldering on something other than your Wii. Get an old CD player or something that wouldn't be too expensive or difficult to replace and take that apart for your practice.

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i cant believe you ppl would do that to a wiiiiii !

i never go for first generation chips they will get bypassed soon im going to wait a year or two then go nuts !

crumpster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

i never go for first generation chips they will get bypassed soon im going to wait a year or two then go nuts !

You says, Why do it? I say Why not... its my wii and I can do with it as I please. Anyways, I'm waiting for a clone to be released and I'm going to practice soldering on some old electronics.

yatzr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
for anyone that may need the tri-wing screwdrivers, I recommend this 32 piece security bit set for $12 (shipping is probably ~$6
wink2.gif
) .
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...roductId=223829
includes
QUOTE said:
# TORX bits: 4, 6, 8 & 10mm
# Tri-wing bits: #1, #2, #3 and #4
# Security hex bits: 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5 and 6mm; 5/32", 9/64", 1/8", 7/64", 3/32" and 5/64"
# Security TORX bits: T8, T10, T15, T20, T25, T27, T30, T35 and T40
# 60mm magnetic bit extension
I like using these bits better than precision screwdrivers because I can use my big fat screwdriver with a good grip. I haven't looked too hard, but this is the only place I've seen a whole set of security bits.

capt.fruitcake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

euh the viper gc was a first gen chip and worked an all models of nintendo gc. It doesn't seem was too eager in the past to stop piracy on there consoles by changing hardware production, unlike the new x-box 360 sammy ms 28 drives

ds_barf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.sebastiaanborghstijn.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands

dude, the chip costs less then a game - even if you just can play the next 40 games for free, than it's still a win
smile.gif
And if in time an upgradable chips comes out, than you can buy that one. Because otherwise you would buy a game for that money
wink.gif

Btw, is it possible to open and install a chip without losing you guarantee?

kdanarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't retain your warranty, but if you buy a backup system, that warranty will still last
wink.gif

And not to mention you get an extra controller/nunchuk combo out of the screw-up
tongue.gif

poisonousj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my tri-wing screwdriver came in the mail today, and thanks to the guide above my Wii is open and ready for my Wiinja... now if only it would hurry up and get here!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then