Hacking System transfer to emunand

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard somewhere that someone successfully did a system transfer from a basic 3DS to a Gateway 3DS on emunand. But I didn't get much details from it, and I need confirmation that this does work.

So I want to ask, if you transfer to the emunand, and both 3DS are on 8.1 firmware, would I only be able to access my virtual console games from the emunand, or can I use them on the sysnand as well?

What if I lose the SD card and have to create a new emunand, would I lose the system data that was on the old emunand?

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I assume a lot of us are doing that. I only buy eshop stuff from SysNAND, I have no desire transferring EmuNAND back to my 3DS - but it should work vice versa. Yes, I can access all my bought stuff from SysNAND also from EmuNAND. You have to downgrade SysNAND back to 4.5 afterwards since you need that for the exploit, so you won't have both at 8.1 at the same time.

EDIT:
You might want to have a look at EmuNAND Tool if you're interested in doing that.

Reactions: MattKimura

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume a lot of us are doing that. I only buy eshop stuff from SysNAND, I have no desire transferring EmuNAND back to my 3DS - but it should work vice versa. Yes, I can access all my bought stuff from SysNAND also from EmuNAND. You have to downgrade SysNAND back to 4.5 afterwards since you need that for the exploit, so you won't have both at 8.1 at the same time.

EDIT:
You might want to have a look at EmuNAND Tool if you're interested in doing that.

Wait... so if you system-transfer Emunand to Sysnand, (Let's say you have no purchases on Emunand) it'll just be like having well the regular 8.1 sysnand on there, right?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hmm so you're saying that doing the transfer, will update the sys nand? I didn't think downgrading was possible.
My main 3DS is useless ever since I got a gateway 3DS. The only thing I care about on it, are the virtual console games and ambassador games. As well as 2 indie games I bought.

If I can get those on my Gateway 3DS, my main 3DS would be entirely useless and I can consider selling it for a good amount. Since my Gateway 3DS can play retail cartridges anyways. This way, I will have a combined Gateway 3DS, and a regular 3DS in one.

Interesting how you say the games are accessable in both sys and emu nand. The only thing that bugs me is the need to downgrade :c

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
if you transfer emunand to sysnand....you have basically updated your console to whatever version emunand was, and loose the ability to have emunand/gateway mode (unless you reflash 4.x back to the console) if it was above 4.x, just stick to keeping it as emunand, the games will show up in sysnand, but they will not launch or be usable in any way

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Wait... so if you system-transfer Emunand to Sysnand, (Let's say you have no purchases on Emunand) it'll just be like having well the regular 8.1 sysnand on there, right?
If you have purchased stuff on EmuNAND you should be able to transfer that back to SysNAND, yes. The EmuNAND partition Gateway sets up on SD card is a 1:1 copy of SysNAND. Gateway just redirects reads and writes to SD from System.

Hmm so you're saying that doing the transfer, will update the sys nand? I didn't think downgrading was possible.
My main 3DS is useless ever since I got a gateway 3DS. The only thing I care about on it, are the virtual console games and ambassador games. As well as 2 indie games I bought.

If I can get those on my Gateway 3DS, my main 3DS would be entirely useless and I can consider selling it for a good amount. Since my Gateway 3DS can play retail cartridges anyways. This way, I will have a combined Gateway 3DS, and a regular 3DS in one.

Interesting how you say the games are accessable in both sys and emu nand. The only thing that bugs me is the need to downgrade :c
You can only downgrade if you have an image of 4.x from your own 3DS. You need to have the NAND hardware mod done on your 3DS to read/write System NAND. As far as I know you also can't load GBA Ambassador games from EmuNAND, but I might be mistaken here.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So from what I'm reading here, it's possible to transfer from basic 3DS, to Gateway 3DS' emunand. And everything will only be playable from emunand, and only viewable from sysnand. I guess there's nothing to lose (But the GBA game's compatibility). I will be happy to at least be able to transfer shovel knight over. I want to make this 3DS versatile, being both a normal and Gateway 3DS. I'd just have to always use the Gateway launcher for classic/Gateway modes to play anything.

But wait a minute, does this transfer to the emunand, touch the sys nand's firmware at all? Or should I only do this transfer, if I'm using the hard mod to flash the firmware?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no sysnand is safe, it just transfers the content/licenses

Oh okay so it was only a confusion. You guys were talking about emunand to sysnand transfers, while I was talking about Basic 3DS to emunand transfers xD

That's some great news! I'm so gonna transfer my basic 3DS to my emunand right away! I'll just load up emunand for everything I do (Classic for retail carts)

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Oh okay so it was only a confusion. You guys were talking about emunand to sysnand transfers, while I was talking about Basic 3DS to emunand transfers xD

That's some great news! I'm so gonna transfer my basic 3DS to my emunand right away! I'll just load up emunand for everything I do (Classic for retail carts)

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
just to be clear both consoles have to be on the latest fw to do a system transfer if thats what you mean....emunand 8.1 and sysnand 8.1 for the console that can't use emunand....unless they can both up emunand then you just set them both up to emunand 8.1
also you need the gateway card inserted to use 8.1 emunand.....just in case you weren't aware

Orcastraw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is this confirmed to work? Transferring a 9.0 sys 3DS to 9.0 emuNAND 3DS and not overwriting the 4.5 sysNAND?

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
if you have a hardware mod, you can make a backup of your 4.X sysNAND, make a backup of your 9.X emuNAND
flash the emuNAND to sysNAND, update sysNAND, make a system transfer to another 3DS and then flash back your 4.X sysNAND backup to your Gateway 3DS
hell, you can do anything with a hardware mod :P

edit: read the next post by gamesquest

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
if you have a hardware mod, you can make a backup of your 4.X sysNAND, make a backup of your 9.X emuNAND
flash the emuNAND to sysNAND, update sysNAND, make a system transfer to another 3DS and then flash back your 4.X sysNAND backup to your Gateway 3DS
hell, you can do anything with a hardware mod :P

just a update on this situation.....flashing 9.x emunand to sysnand results in a blackscreen of death........seems emunand/sysnand cross compatibility ended with 2.4b

i presume they are now modding the emunand in some way which makes it not bootable in sysnand.....which i assume is why people got the black screen of death when they accidentally updated sysnand in gateway mode

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
just a update on this situation.....flashing 9.x emunand to sysnand results in a blackscreen of death........seems emunand/sysnand cross compatibility ended with 2.4b

i presume they are now modding the emunand in some way which makes it not bootable in sysnand.....which i assume is why people got the black screen of death when they accidentally updated sysnand in gateway mode

ouch, sucks :/
good to know, though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s