• Views 151,961
  • Replies 1,572

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
Jizmo said:
nutta_nic said:
@ jizmo so do you mean actully built into the system, like in boot1 say, and thats why when a usa wii goes pal, they cant get the ntsc banners,

@ digitydogs
i'm cioscorp'in a friends wii tomorrow i'll preloader him up and see if he's region free(ish) either way i'll report back his drive

Im not sure where the code would reside, but it sure seems that it's something unique to EUR as Opposed to USA consoles. Maybe there is another piece of code involved than just the IOS and System Menu. And it seems that maybe the DVD drive itself could be that piece. Maybe the DVD drive in EUR machines contains that piece of code that works in tandem with System Menu and the IOS. I would like to see what would happen with a DVD drive that is working region free on a EUR machine was put into a USA machine. And also since we know that Chipping (changes drive bios essentially) makes region free work there seems to be more evidence that we're barking up the wrong tree and there is something unique in the drive firmware. All speculation of course.

I'd like to place $2.00 on Flashing Drive Firmware to Win, Place or Show.
i see where your going now, the dvd firmware controls it all and the pal drives have multiple disks to read so the block thats (maybe) on the US drive is removed and when the drive is chipped it bypasses this (alleged) block too

terra808

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK
got second ntsc-u game playing in disc channel, ten pin alley 2.
Did notice it was a multi did'nt say 5 or 6, checked bolt no info, others single lang

Pal wii
play 2 usa games
not playing 2 usa games
not playing 1 jap games

why some out of region games work and not others , maybe hidden in CIOSCORP wads.

Jizmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nutta_nic said:
Jizmo said:
nutta_nic said:
@ jizmo so do you mean actully built into the system, like in boot1 say, and thats why when a usa wii goes pal, they cant get the ntsc banners,

@ digitydogs
i'm cioscorp'in a friends wii tomorrow i'll preloader him up and see if he's region free(ish) either way i'll report back his drive

Im not sure where the code would reside, but it sure seems that it's something unique to EUR as Opposed to USA consoles. Maybe there is another piece of code involved than just the IOS and System Menu. And it seems that maybe the DVD drive itself could be that piece. Maybe the DVD drive in EUR machines contains that piece of code that works in tandem with System Menu and the IOS. I would like to see what would happen with a DVD drive that is working region free on a EUR machine was put into a USA machine. And also since we know that Chipping (changes drive bios essentially) makes region free work there seems to be more evidence that we're barking up the wrong tree and there is something unique in the drive firmware. All speculation of course.

I'd like to place $2.00 on Flashing Drive Firmware to Win, Place or Show.
i see where your going now, the dvd firmware controls it all and the pal drives have multiple disks to read so the block thats (maybe) on the US drive is removed and when the drive is chipped it bypasses this (alleged) block too

Yes, that is where I'm going. However this doesn't account for the fact that you can use Menu Patchers without preloader and accomplish the region free that way. But that is of course an after system menu loads patch. Damn there's too many angles to this thing. If I keep rambling long enough I talk myself out of my own Ideas.

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
i just thought if its the drives firmware thats restricting ntsc users then when i region change my pal to ntsc then i should be able to read pal disks too, but i cant, unless its built into the system menu too, same goes for my idea about if it was coded in boot1

EDIT
i might be naughty later (when the wii's free) and region change to JPN
evil.gif

Phratt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, if the disk channel, is a channel, wouldn't it make sense to check the channel instead? To figure out how it gets the info for banners and such and where it checks, and then just edit it?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry, could someone give me an update about the region free cioscorp please?

Are you still not dividing the games into games which contain the code for both video modes and those which only contain the code for the region they were made for?

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
before anyone else says it i am a moron.... i forgot pal wii's install as 000000046.app
Phratt if we had the source code to the system menu then it would be a trivial thing to do. as it is we have to pull the app file off the nand, and between hex editors, ios code, and other programs source try to reverse engineer the needed patches

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
Phratt said:
Wait, if the disk channel, is a channel, wouldn't it make sense to check the channel instead? To figure out how it gets the info for banners and such and where it checks, and then just edit it?

can we do that with preloader, isnt that more for Csm, unless you can edit it and create a new disk channel and remove the old with anytittle deleter

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DAMN well i was trying to be slick and use preloader with irons POC channel to load the pal menu instead of ntsc, without having to region shift.... all i get is a blank screen
frown.gif
no errors or anything else. Weird

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nutta_nic said:
Phratt said:

can we do that with preloader, isnt that more for Csm, unless you can edit it and create a new disk channel and remove the old with anytittle deleter

the disk channel is not a channel its part of the system menu.

Phratt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
the disk channel is not a channel its part of the system menu.

Those lying bastards!

anyways, couldn't you unpack a 3.2u.wad and find the code for the disk channel and play with it alittle?

I know, I know, thats asking alot, but you guys are Gods among fools.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's a new one for you guys... I was bored... yes bored... and wanted to try to change my health screen to something customized..(yes, somewhere I didn't belong) I thought I had everything unpacked, uncompressed, edited, repacked, renamed, rewadded...installed... no system menu... but I got to recover w/ port4 all directions feature...it showed me (3.2 USA).... then I autobooted into my Wadmanager (shiny disc)... and reinstalled my original.systemmenuv289.wad back in... hit homebutton to reset wii... and still got a black screen and couldn't get the GC controller to work its magic this time...nothing showed up... this was with CIOSCorp installed... so just to let you guys know.. that CIOSCorp may not always save your ass....

So now the official Stunt Wii of Iron Mask is officially bricked. What will Iron Mask do with his famous StuntWii?? Will it go down in the hall of fame as one of the most heavily softmodded legends of its time??
Will it be ressurected from its maker? Or will Iron Mask lay his hands on the sacred console with the almighty and powerful INFECTUS? Who knows what may be in store for this infamous softmodded Wii of the GBATemp HackPack.... The Saga still continues for Iron Mask with his backup Wii... but will Iron Mask still continue his amazing wreckless stunts to complete the Ultimate Hack???

Stay tuned fellas!

smile.gif

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IronMask said:
Here's a new one for you guys... I was bored... yes bored... and wanted to try to change my health screen to something customized..(yes, somewhere I didn't belong) I thought I had everything unpacked, uncompressed, edited, repacked, renamed, rewadded...installed... no system menu... but I got to recover w/ port4 all directions feature...it showed me (3.2 USA).... then I autobooted into my Wadmanager (shiny disc)... and reinstalled my original.systemmenuv289.wad back in... hit homebutton to reset wii... and still got a black screen and couldn't get the GC controller to work its magic this time...nothing showed up... this was with CIOSCorp installed... so just to let you guys know.. that CIOSCorp may not always save your ass....

So now the official Stunt Wii of Iron Mask is officially bricked. What will Iron Mask do with his famous StuntWii?? Will it go down in the hall of fame as one of the most heavily softmodded legends of its time??
Will it be ressurected from its maker? Or will Iron Mask lay his hands on the sacred console with the almighty and powerful INFECTUS? Who knows what may be in store for this infamous softmodded Wii of the GBATemp HackPack.... The Saga still continues for Iron Mask with his backup Wii... but will Iron Mask still continue his amazing wreckless stunts to complete the Ultimate Hack???

Stay tuned fellas!

smile.gif
but... but... Ironwii was indestructible... his circuits were made of iron dammit... IRON!... he can't be dead... he just can't be!

it could be the weed talking, but that deserves any Emmy or something lol
biggrin.gif

IronMask that sucks bro, but you went down as a Legend... that's fo'shizzle

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nooo Iron why didn't you do it the safe way and use the POC loader with preloader to load your altered menu from the sd card??? That wii isn't dead. it'll be back before we know it. Now a question for you... did the cios's you patched use wii or wan's cios?

Soplox

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
IronMask said:
digitydogs said:
Another thought... Those who have region free on pal with starfall.. when did you get your console, and what is the serial number? Maybe certain model drive chips work and the rest don't

I doubt it.. but it's possible. I have 2 wii's bought at different times... don't know if they have different hardware...but they both have same issue.

QUOTE(robiul @ Jan 21 2009, 01:26 PM) Does anyone recall Freeloader? Your wii can't read any other regions, put the freeloader in, then put in your out of region game in and it'll worked, anyway you can use the freeloader to understand how region-free is enabled, if I remember right, there was a small file in freeloader that could be extracted, this small file is then injected into an iso of an out of region game and then once inserted the game loaded the freeloader part and then the game came up.

Link to freeloader please?
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BX9T7424

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IronMask said:

Stay tuned fellas!

smile.gif

Hate to hear it Man? hope you get it fixed By the way you do have the Nand keys right?

QUOTE(digitydogs @ Jan 22 2009, 04:08 AM) Nooo Iron why didn't you do it the safe way and use the POC loader with preloader to load your altered menu from the sd card??? That wii isn't dead. it'll be back before we know it. Now a question for you... did the cios's you patched use wii or wan's cios?

You can't load the altered system menu from the Sd Card the Banner Files is on a Different app file than the preloader loads?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Only the Jaguar could run something so advanced! lol +1