OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have a question. I've got a PC with windows 10, and I've got a 120GB hdd as the one that has the OS and everything. I want to replace it with a 1TB hdd (I already have 3 other 1TB hdds in the PC). How can I manage this, without losing all my windows settings, or tweaks or such? I assume I can't just copy all the data to the other drive and boot from it like normal? What's my best option, short of re-doing windows installation all over again?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For hard drives (and partitions) bigger than the former it is easy enough. It is when going to smaller drives (usually I want to put it on my shiny new SSD) that it gets a bit more tricky.

No you can't copy.
You will want hard drive cloning tools

http://clonezilla.org/ is free and easy enough to use (not quite "click this, click that, wait" but if you can follow on screen instructions it will do it) and is what I use for backups and hard drive swaps I am not simultaneously doing a restore for.

You may also have to go into your BIOS and set the boot drive, and depending upon your setup you might also to set a flag on the drive to boot but that is easy enough.

Reactions: Chary

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated