Zzzz
OP
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
The latest Switch firmware (4.0.0) now supports USB audio devices!

I have an in-line amp connected to my headset that takes in two audio channels -- one through USB audio and another through a standard male 3.5mm jack. The USB powers the in-line amp in addition to acting as another audio channel. Well, I typically have the USB plugged into the Switch's dock to power the amp while I use the 3.5mm jack to get audio. However, I started up my Switch earlier without plugging in the 3.5mm jack and I couldn't hear any audio through HDMI. I tried unplugging/replugging in stuff, but still nothing. Then I opened the Switch's quick select menu (hold Home button) and lo and behold, the audio slider had "USB" written under it! I tested and indeed, the audio was coming through the in-line amp's USB audio channel.

Here is a picture taken by @DiscostewSM:
mV20fRal.jpg

Notice how "USB" appears under the volume slider icon.

There you have it, USB audio on the Switch~
More audio options are always good :yayswitch:

EDIT: Reformatted the OP to be more to-the-point.
EDIT 2: Added picture by DiscostewSM.

Last edited by HaloEliteLegend,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Call me when bluetooth audio is here, oh and some on demand streaming, late night youtube binge is on standby. :P

Also does this mean that games may support in game speech via microphones headsets? Cause if nintendo thinks using a Smartphone app is gonna be the good idea, i rather have discord instead.... except we shouldn't need external accessories to do simple common stuff during multiplayer online :blink:

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Ooh, sweet! Do you mind if I add your picture to the original post? (I'll give credit, of course)

EDIT: Added it pre-emptively, just so others can see. If that's not okay with you, I can take it down, just let me know ^-^
It's totally fine.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend

Zzzz
OP
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Call me when bluetooth audio is here, oh and some on demand streaming, late night youtube binge is on standby. :P

Also does this mean that games may support in game speech via microphones headsets? Cause if nintendo thinks using a Smartphone app is gonna be the good idea, i rather have discord instead.... except we shouldn't need external accessories to do simple common stuff during multiplayer online :blink:
I think that's what we're all thinking! There's potential here to add proper voice chat and a Bluetooth headphone solution.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
wtf are you all talking about?
Things similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/external-Adapter-Windows-Microphone-SD-CM-UAUD/dp/B001MSS6CS
It's USB to Audio Out.

And maybe these:
https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-...&sr=1-3&keywords=playstation+wireless+headset
These are wireless headphones that use proprietary dongles to connect usb audio to headphone.
I will test my playstation phones with switch later when I get home.

OP was using an Amplifier to have volume gain, in Switch he was using USB only as energy provider until 3.0.2, with 4.0.0 the switch started using the usb port on the amplifier as an actual audio output, so OP doesn't need to use the P2 jack anymore with his/her switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@HaloEliteLegend do you have a link to your amp? I am quite interested on it now.

Last edited by Tomy Sakazaki,

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is interesting. I wonder if this work with a external USB audio card. I have a Focusrite 18i20, I know it's overkill but it would be nice to have a clean digital input to the card. I cannot test right now since I'm on 2.2.0

Last edited by PolloDiablo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.