Switch off Wii U GamPad - Sync Button Mode

The easiest way without pulling the battery out of Pad or walk away with it is done this way:

1) Press Sync Button on Wii U twice. (GamePad shows message that it is already synced)
2) Press On Off Button on GamePad. Only GamePad switches off. Wii U keeps running.
3) Now you can switch on your Wii Mote and press B to go back to main screen.
-> Now you are running your Wii U without the fancy Gamepad until the next reboot. :yaywii:

PS: The GamPad is completely switched off. It does not drain battery like the "Turn screen off" button in the GamePad menu, that only makes the screen black but the pad keeps running.

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Great idea, although the fact that Nintendo didnt think of including any way to completely turn off the GamePad is really annoying :hateit:

I hope Nintendo updates the GamePad's firmware so that just tapping the GamePad power button turns it on/off, but holding it down for a second will turn the Wii U console on/off - that would make a lot of sense.

Also they should disable the GamePad switching on automatically when you turn on the Wii U console using Wii Remotes/Wii U Pro Controllers - then if you actually want to use the Gamepad aswell (e.g. Pikmin 3) you can choose to manually turn it on/off by just tapping the GamePad power button.

Knuffibaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Razor83
I totally agree.

The gamepad should only act as a gamepad and not as a needed unit.
For me it does not make sense why the settings of the console has to be done on an external device aka the gamepad.

dont get me wrong. i do like the pad for games who support it and i think it is a new interesting idea. but if i would like to play mario 8 with my friends and 4 wii motes why do i have to make that switch off trick?!

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I tried this method and did exactly as instructed but somehow while I pressed the sync button twice on the Wii U and then the ON/OFF on the GamePad it didn't really do any difference at all, but whatever, I'm used to charging the GamePad so it's no biggie.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Another way to run the Wii U without the gamepad is to press the power button on the gamepad, then wait one second, then hold the gamepad power button until it turns off. The Wii U should keep running!

That's exactly what I do! :P

Reactions: Mr. Mysterio

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Walking far away from the Wii U should make it lose signal, and a minute later, it will turn itself off. But not very practical to do that. I found if I put the gamepad in the kitchen oven and close the door, it will lose the signal right away. Wait a minute and it will shut off. You can watch it through the oven window. Then just take it out of the oven. It will stay off. Don't forget it there. You don't want a melted gamepad. :P

Edit: The method described by the OP works flawlessly, but the problem is, it de-syncs your gamepad, so you need to sync it again, the next time you need to use it. As for the method of Mr. Mysterio (pressing the power button twice with one sec interval), I never could get it to work. It always shuts down the console.

What I do now is just go to the Mii Maker channel, then exit Mii Maker right away. While the white screen with "Wii U Menu" appears, shut down the gamepad by holding its power button. The console will keep running and you can use whatever controller you want. The gamepad will not be de-synced doing this.

Last edited by Dust2dust,
Reactions: Blythe93

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks
good tips
I was using Loadiine option Padcon so far

Nintendo really suxxed about this thing
Padcon is still great, if you want to use the gamepad, but don't need the display to be on (saves battery power). There is a Padcon standalone for people who stopped to use Loadiine. Look for it on wiiubru appstore.

Reactions: kimchee2000

xLothwenx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I do now is just go to the Mii Maker channel, then exit Mii Maker right away. While the white screen with "Wii U Menu" appears, shut down the gamepad by holding its power button. The console will keep running and you can use whatever controller you want. The gamepad will not be de-synced doing this.

This is the only solution that has worked. It incidentally seems to work around this stupid Yoshi's Woolly World bug that previously required the gamepad's screen to be on to avoid constant stuttering/frame drops:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/692061-yoshis-woolly-world/72070988
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/692061-yoshis-woolly-world/72061742

This is a severe and obvious bug. Nintendo is slipping in their production of quality software lately.

Last edited by xLothwenx,
Reactions: Blythe93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users