Hardware Switch Mini Speculation Thread

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering I play switch handheld most of the time, that switch mini is looking really appealing if it does happen. Unfortunately I already own a switch.

Switch is not a failing console. Least not now. Wait till e3. If this e3 is garbage (and so far that's my expectation due to my complete disillusionment with nintendo) then you don't even have to wait a few years to know that it will tank. Nintendo needs a good e3, more than anything.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I want a switch XL.

The puny little joy cons remind me of the INVERSE of the original Xbox controllers that were so huge they had to make the S-type to make it usable to anyone other than a giant.

The switch screen is too small and the controllers too fiddly.

Roll out a SWITCH-MEGA!

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, just no.
It would kill nintendo.
People wouldnt be able to play all the games and just think about buying a game like arms and you cant play it because you need joycons.
Also if it never docks thats a very small screen for some games.

Nintendo would be shooting themself in the foot if they did something like this.

Now if they simply sold ever part on its own for a fair price that would be cool.

I already have a switch and 4 joycons. So if i could pick up another switch system unit for like $150 and just use my other items that would be cool.

But as far as a whole new system just mini. No i doubt it will happen and if it does it would be the DS/3ds wii/wii u transition all over again.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They won't release a mini version so soon after the launch. The 3ds is still going strong and the 2ds was just introduced in japan a couple months back. Not early next year. Maybe Christmas next year or the following March. Late 2018 is what I'm guessing if they even make a mini version. They may just make a box only version. Maybe called the "switch home"?

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2

S

Saiyan Lusitano

uZfUDcJ.png

Rumors are flying around that Nintendo plans to release a more portable "Switch Mini". That's fine if you want that sort of thing. I say, screw that! If they're gonna do the 3DS thing with this system then I want a screen-less Switch-box. Just give me the damn hardware in a box with the joy cons and a grip and I'll be VERY happy. I'm fairly certain that any touch only games will make their way to Android so I don't need a Switch for that. We have 2DS, 3DS and 3DS XL. I think the market can handle a Switch Box, Switch Mini and Switch.
The Switch Mini sounds like a brillian idea and hope it becomes a reality, though... would I purchase it? No, at least not for years to come since the launch Switch is perfectly fine for moi.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Switch Mini sounds like a brillian idea and hope it becomes a reality, though... would I purchase it? No, at least not for years to come since the launch Switch is perfectly fine for moi.
The joycons are already almost too small for my hands.
Perhaps something smaller and portable like the mockup mini would be ok for the hands of a kid.
I think it would make a great gift for my niece.
On the other hand she may lose it even more easily.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really doubt they will do a XL, at least not one that makes the overall console bigger. I hope if they do an XL that makes the console bigger, it will be like a New XL, since you can fit more hardware in it. Would be waste, if they simply made it bigger. I still feel if they going to make it bigger, they should just make a regular home console. I hope the Joy Cons are bigger in that case, other wise that would be weird.

As for a the Switch Mini. Maybe it possible to have the exact same power, but smaller in about two years. I don't see that being much cheaper, especially after the original price going down during those years. The whole point is to be cheaper and smaller. I guess it could still be weaker and still go to the TV, but sure there will be complaints.

As for me, I like hybrid version. So, if it isn't a true hybrid revision (like a New Switch) I probably wouldn't even care. For the people that saying this will doom Nintendo for releasing a 2ds version of the Switch two years later, are ridiculous.

Also, the mock up looks good, but they could design it to be back compatible with 3ds and have two screens. Which will be compatible with all 3ds and Switch games and have the added protection of a clamshell. The second screen can just be added bonus for some Switch games.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I really doubt they will do a XL, at least not one that makes the overall console bigger. I hope if they do an XL that makes the console bigger, it will be like a New XL, since you can fit more hardware in it. Would be waste, if they simply made it bigger. I still feel if they going to make it bigger, they should just make a regular home console. I hope the Joy Cons are bigger in that case, other wise that would be weird.

As for a the Switch Mini. Maybe it possible to have the exact same power, but smaller in about two years. I don't see that being much cheaper, especially after the original price going down during those years. The whole point is to be cheaper and smaller. I guess it could still be weaker and still go to the TV, but sure there will be complaints.

As for me, I like hybrid version. So, if it isn't a true hybrid revision (like a New Switch) I probably wouldn't even care. For the people that saying this will doom Nintendo for releasing a 2ds version of the Switch two years later, are ridiculous.

Also, the mock up looks good, but they could design it to be back compatible with 3ds and have two screens. Which will be compatible with all 3ds and Switch games and have the added protection of a clamshell. The second screen can just be added bonus for some Switch games.
maybe it will be a Swi

D

Deleted User

XL version with 10" screen?
But i would like 1920x1080p resolution then. 1280x720p for 10" is just meh.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I agree with you. Three versions of the Switch for different needs isn't a bad thing.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, if it is 10" sure it has space for a 10.000mAH battery, and so 1920x1080p wouldn't be out of reach.

10 inches is a bit big. I used to do game streaming on a 10 inch tab and it was very clunky. I actually picked up a smaller 8 inch tab just for game streaming.

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not happening. For a mini you need:
Charging connection
(Micro) SD connection
Either a decent battery or a shocking one with such a little battery life it wouldn't be worth taking out anyway
Vent and cooling like the Switch already has
Gamecard slot unless you make it a digital only system which probably wouldn't go too well
The regular Switch insides

All very tightly packed in the area just behind the screen. I can't imagine something that small could fit all of that in.

Not to mention I see that image circling around /v/ often so I'm pretty sure someone there just made it up.

rad3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't gotten to hold one yet, but the switch joycons, to me at least, look like they sacrifice single player ergonomic comfort for the sake of the local 2 player joycon held sideways thing. I would totally welcome a smaller switch with non-detachable controller which tries to be as comfortable to your hands as a pro controller.

Like for example, in the mockup they have a real D pad instead of the awkward 4 button direction controls. That would be great. I get why they did the 4 button thing, for when you detach the controllers and do 2 player, but I just don't see myself actually using that feature much anyways and I'm assuming you could still pack a couple joycons loose in your bag and pair to it if the need arose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1