Hardware Switch hating

da1e85

OP
Trophies
XP
Why are people hating on the switch. I mean yes it's not as powerful as the ps4 or xbone but honestly did anyone think it would be any different. It for all intent and purpose is a handheld console. if you could get the power of a ps4 in a handheld device which could connect to a TV and not cost i would imagine close to 1000's they would have done it. Let's just love the switch for what it is the world's most powerful handheld which also happens to be a pretty decent home console too.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Idiots defending their choices. Like how one sportsball team's fans will completely detest a different team and their fans. You can find or invent a million reasons why one is better than the other, but in the end that's all it boils down to.

In fact, now that PS4 has come to PS Now which is available on PC, I can literally say that I can find zero reason to buy a Sony or Microsoft console.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Because arguing contrary to popular trends gets attention. Much of the hater logic follows the lines of "Many people like something, therefore I must hate it". For a news outlet, this gets them more clicks and ad revenue. For a YouTube presenter, this gets them more views.

The Switch isn't perfect, it has its flaws (cough Left Joy-Con, Dock scratches, non-preservable saves! cough) and I've seen some very well-written criticisms of the console pointing out these flaws before going into detail logically explaining why they can be problematic for the Switch user. A well thought-out critique starts by highlighting the key issues before explaining them in more detail and then concluding that the author dislikes something. A hater works in the opposite way, starting off with angry accusations and then trying to find justifications afterwards. Unfortunately numerical specs is just an easy target for argument*, something that's been constantly used and re-used ad nauseam. While raw horsepower does have an impact on the end user, ultimately it's how the hardware is used that brings enjoyability to the end user. I could have a supercomputer with petaFLOPS of performance but if it could only play Solitaire then it would be hard to argue that it makes a better gaming machine than a Game Boy with Pokémon. Enjoyment really is up to the user themselves to decide.

*Many people comparing CPU specs directly are forgetting that the Switch is also designed to be a handheld console, so size and weight also have to be taken into account. The Switch may have 43% of a PS4's processing power, but volumetrically it's only 7.7% the physical size and 10.6% the weight of an original PS4. (Switch without Joy-Cons: 23.9 cm x 10.2 cm x 1.4 cm = 341.3 cubic cm at 297 g, original PS4: 30.5 cm x 27.5 cm x 5.3 cm = 4445.4 cubic cm at 2800 g)

Last edited by NekoMichi,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Well, it is the most powerful handheld gaming device from one of the three gaming companies but the most powerful? Surely not.

The Switch isn't without its flaws and most of the criticism I've seen has been towards other aspects of it which it does deserve.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Pointing out the flaws and properly criticizing the Switch and Nintendo's choices? That's one thing. To sit there and blindly bash the ever loving hell out of it for some stupid reason or another? That's where the problem lies. The amount of bashing, even on the Temp alone... Oh my god.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. For the past decade or so Nintendo has not strived to be the most powerful console, it doesn't take much brain power or innovation to make a powerhouse console, most of us here could do that in our sleep. Nintendo has always led with innovation, which the others always copy in one form or another. N64 with the first modern analog stick, Wii with the first motion control, DS and Wii U with the dual screens, and now the portable/home hybrid. I for one don't give a sh!t how powerful it is when I'll get to play Skyrim, BotW, probably a Fallout and Far Cry game in the future, on a handheld, why do I care?

Last edited by Benja81,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one is hating the Switch, they are pointing out actual flaws that should have been fixed in testing.

Which is fine, I have nothing wrong with criticism for flaws. Some people however, take it a step further and flat out bash systems for being different, underpowered, etc.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Which is fine, I have nothing wrong with criticism for flaws. Some people however, take it a step further and flat out bash systems for being different, underpowered, etc.
Those people come with every Nintendo system, so it's not worth paying attention to them anymore.

Reactions: the_randomizer

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well there is kind of a two side of the hate that I seen.
One is the obvious fanboys/haters.
Two is the people that geniunely care about the product and critic both the good and the bad about the console. Some valid, some less valid.

Those who critic it because of it's not up to snuff on the specs should realize it's a handheld with a tv output box. So higher specs, bigger battery, more heat, higher costs etc. Doesn't add up.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Nintendo has never strived to be the most powerful console,
link.jpg

That's not true. You don't know Nintendo's history if you think that.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If nintendo wish, they could definitely build a powerhouse. But they don't try to sell their consoles at loss like Microsoft and Sony does.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. Nintendo has never strived to be the most powerful console, it doesn't take much brain power or innovation to make a powerhouse console, most of us here could do that in our sleep. Nintendo has always led with innovation, which the others always copy in one form or another. N64 with the first modern analog stick, Wii with the first motion control, DS and Wii U with the dual screens, and now the portable/home hybrid. I for one don't give a sh!t how powerful it is when I'll get to play Skyrim, BotW, probably a Fallout and Far Cry game in the future, on a handheld, why do I care?
I'll give you the analog stick. Motion controls and dual screens were not good ideas.

The Nintendo Switch is not a new idea. It's essentially a PSP Go with current tech.

New_Newbie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because people can have opinions! The Switch was advertised as a home console, now it's an over-glorified slightly less than powerful PS3 and the Nintendo fans are doing heavy damage control by insulting anyone who says their Switch isn't perfect instead of rationally debating. Nintendo released two terrible consoles in a row (The Wii and Wii U) and weeded out the hardcore gamers and now all that remain are Nintendo elitists who would rather die than give games like 1-2 Switch a 10/10. (How's playing the "Baby" minigame?)

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Shikkichu

A little Pika girl~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there is kind of a two side of the hate that I seen.
One is the obvious fanboys/haters.
Two is the people that geniunely care about the product and critic both the good and the bad about the console. Some valid, some less valid.

Those who critic it because of it's not up to snuff on the specs should realize it's a handheld with a tv output box. So higher specs, bigger battery, more heat, higher costs etc. Doesn't add up.
It isn't really hate then is it? I mean I'm a pretty big critic with the Switch myself and how Ninty support has been acting lately however I personally don't hate the system or anything, I'm just more disappointed with how things are turning out, esp when I got a console with dead pixels, Ninty refused, but luckily the place I bought it from took it back and just gave me a new one. This one has been fine for the most part though other than wiggly joycons.

If anything deserves the hate, it's their ways of "support" rather than the console itself, because it's bound to have a few issues here and there, almost every console day-1 has

Reactions: linuxares

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Because people can have opinions! The Switch was advertised as a home console, now it's an over-glorified slightly less than powerful PS3 and the Nintendo fans are doing heavy damage control by insulting anyone who says their Switch isn't perfect instead of rationally debating. Nintendo released two terrible consoles in a row (The Wii and Wii U) and weeded out the hardcore gamers and now all that remain are Nintendo elitists who would rather die than give games like 1-2 Switch a 10/10. (How's playing the "Baby" minigame?)
The Wii did extremely well! It's weak in hardware since the Gamecube flopped. It was both stronger than the PS2 and was weaker than the Xbox that was released a couple of months later. Nintendo have never really competed against 2 other companies at once. It was always Nintendo vs. Sega for a long while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr