Homebrew Switch Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

qaz015393

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes its in the first post, Change the DNS in your switch to 173.255.238.217 and then reboot your switch and go into the eshop right away.
damn I was late & didn't see that. I already updated to 2.3.0. but will no longer update and hope 2.3.0 can get hackable 1 day.

I hope the bypass update still works for 2.3.0 so I won't have to worry about updating again and can keep my fw.

Last edited by qaz015393,

Gamer4647

Trophies
XP
Country
HDDs wouldn't really work that well. You'd forget, take the Switch out, then realise that your game crashed or closed.

Back onto hacking, has somebody looked into the part of Android used in the OS? In the intellectual property notices of a game, Stagefright from the Android Open Source Project is listed. Since Android is open source, we might be able to find the code used for Stagefright. It's listed in the notes for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Zelda Breath of the Wild, ARMS Global Testpunch, Snipperclips, and probably any and all of Nintendo's games.

You can take a look by highlighting a game and navigating through:
Options > Other > Intellectual Property Notices

Edit: Been living under a rock. I don't really check this stuff often unless something actually gets released. Oh well.

Last edited by Gamer4647,

Gamer4647

Trophies
XP
Country
AFAIK there has also been stuff from FreeBSD.

Is it known which OS the Switch uses?
Probably not.

I just know that Stagefright is a possible exploit, just like what they did to the older versions of Android to basically wreck someone's phone, and that code from the original projects could be easily looked up on the internet due to the open source nature. Also did a quick lookup that FreeBSD is Unix-based and similar to Linux, and I already knew Android is a fork of Linux.

Last edited by Gamer4647,

hallo23

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys,

I know that the best fw to stay on is 2.0.0 atm.
Quick question. I'm getting a switch in two days so should I update to the current fw (2.3.0) if the switch is still on 1.0.0 OR should I stay on 1.0.0 if the console is not on 2.0.0?

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IF YOU'RE STILL ON 2.0.0 DO NOT UPDATE, YOU CAN STILL ACCESS THE eSHOP BY REBOOTING YOUR SWITCH!

To get rid of the update nag:
  • Set 173.255.238.217 as your primary DNS in the settings
  • Complete power off the console (hold power button > Power Options > Power Off)
  • Turn back on

Like in the "old Wii U days" where we had an active and ever so blooming thread with Homebrew, Discussion, Suggestions, Drama, Trolls and more I'd love to see something like this for the Switch again.
This is the reason for this thread. I'll try and update this post with useful information as much as I can and you guys can help doing so! If something new arises from the hacking community simply post it in here and, if possible, mention me so I'll see it instantly. I can then easily update this post to reflect the newest and hottest Switch news.
Of course, inspired by @filfat and a huge thanks for the Wii U thread he made which sadly over the past few months went more and more inactive.

Useful Links

Tools By The Community

Proof of Concept Exploits

These exploits are of no use for non-developer people and only show what will be possible soon!

Current Userfriendly Exploits

Exploits that everyone can easily set up and use.
  • None

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
  • Can we run Homebrew yet?
    No. It's far too early but the hacking community makes steady progress.
  • Should I stay on FW 1.0.0?`
    Probably not. You'd have no way to run the exploit since there's no browser or anything else helpful.
  • Should I update to 2.0.0 as soon as possible?
    Most likely yes, since future updates could fix potential entry points we have right now. And we're not yet sure if updating from 1.0.0 forces to 2.0.0 or further on.
  • What's with all these Emulator videos popping up online?
    All fake. These are simply videos played via the web browser with some of the above mentioned tools.

HELLO EXPLOITABLE 2.3!

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a little breakdown of the title-ids for the Wii U versus the Switch.
Doesn't look like it'll be possible to make all of the combinations to guess on their servers.

WII U: 16 characters
0005000 | $ | 101 | %%% | 00
%%% = 0,1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F
$ = 0(Title),2(Demo),C(DLC),E(Update)

Example: 0005000010130400 = Pilotwings

SWITCH: 16 characters
0100 | %%% | 00 | # | %%% | $00
%%% = 0,1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F
# = 0,1,2,3
$ = 0(Title),8(Update)

Example: 0100E67003A86000 = Disgaea 5 Complete

EDIT LINK: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Title_list/Games

Last edited by datahoarder,

Praxis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dumb question:

What are the technical hurdles to making a Switch flashcart? I used DS flashcarts and 3DS flashcarts back in the day. There's a lot of effort towards making a software exploit at the moment. Is it harder to make flashcarts for the Switch?

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IF YOU'RE STILL ON 2.0.0 DO NOT UPDATE, YOU CAN STILL ACCESS THE eSHOP BY REBOOTING YOUR SWITCH!

To get rid of the update nag:
  • Set 173.255.238.217 as your primary DNS in the settings
  • Complete power off the console (hold power button > Power Options > Power Off)
  • Turn back on

Like in the "old Wii U days" where we had an active and ever so blooming thread with Homebrew, Discussion, Suggestions, Drama, Trolls and more I'd love to see something like this for the Switch again.
This is the reason for this thread. I'll try and update this post with useful information as much as I can and you guys can help doing so! If something new arises from the hacking community simply post it in here and, if possible, mention me so I'll see it instantly. I can then easily update this post to reflect the newest and hottest Switch news.
Of course, inspired by @filfat and a huge thanks for the Wii U thread he made which sadly over the past few months went more and more inactive.

Useful Links

Tools By The Community

Proof of Concept Exploits

These exploits are of no use for non-developer people and only show what will be possible soon!

Current Userfriendly Exploits

Exploits that everyone can easily set up and use.
  • None

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
  • Can we run Homebrew yet?
    No. It's far too early but the hacking community makes steady progress.
  • Should I stay on FW 1.0.0?`
    Probably not. You'd have no way to run the exploit since there's no browser or anything else helpful.
  • Should I update to 2.0.0 as soon as possible?
    Most likely yes, since future updates could fix potential entry points we have right now. And we're not yet sure if updating from 1.0.0 forces to 2.0.0 or further on.
  • What's with all these Emulator videos popping up online?
    All fake. These are simply videos played via the web browser with some of the above mentioned tools.

Erm... You can update the thread now you know. We can update safely to 2.3 since PegaSwitch now works on it...

mikeg504

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on the newest version and just had a crash that I am positive is an exploit.. I replicated 3 times. I am not going to post public but..

has anyone worked out user mode API, or has dumps? I'm willing to cross share information... PM me?

Sec and I'll post some evidence..

Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am on the newest version and just had a crash that I am positive is an exploit.. I replicated 3 times. I am not going to post public but..

has anyone worked out user mode API, or has dumps? I'm willing to cross share information... PM me?

Sec and I'll post some evidence..

An in-game crash or something on the home menu ?

mikeg504

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
230vuln.png

It's an OS crash.. not game specific...

mikeg504

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"vuln.png"

if this is a real exploit vuln i will drink my piss and film it
I am going to attempt to get the information together for anyone who wants to take a shot.. but i think it'd be smart for people who are already able to exploit the first vuln .. since they would knnow more abouut the internal API, and addresses.. otherwise it'd just go to waste if i post it here...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: