Switch Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by EpicLPer, Mar 12, 2017.

1. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    Stay on 1.0.0 and stop worrying, if it bothers you then buy splatoon before they reprint them with different firmwares.

2. Kilim

Kilim Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2017
    United States
    i suppose i can just buy a cart now and hold onto it for a definite update if needed, i just know that the 1.0.0 switch is incredibly barebones so the lack of an entrypoint could be a real issue down the road

mech likes this.
  3. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I bought a Nintendo Switch today at Wal-Mart. It was on 3.0.0 firmware. Unfortunately, I had to update if I wanted to link my NNID account.

4. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    Post up your partial Serial number and Fimrware in the Firmware topic man!

DeathByDrivers and digipimp75 like this.
  5. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Will do. Thanks.

mech likes this.
  6. Istolla

Istolla Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2017
    Canada
    West Coast Canada
    Ello all, newbie to Switch here :3

Recently got my device, it's running 2.3.0.
    I've not updated to 3.0.1 yet as per a friend who had been more closely following development on homebrew stuff then I when I purchased my gear said to avoid.

This said I've a few questions.
    Is there anyway to link my nintendo ID without updating?
    Is there anyway to access the eShop without linking IDs?
    Can games in offline mode be played without a ID linked?
    Does the DNS swap that allows access to the eShop I read about earlier in this thread even still work?

I currently own a copy of Splatoon 2 but have not opened it yet after learning all the things about the firmware an what not from my friend..
    I'm told it has a offline/solo campaign of sorts but I've no idea how limited that is or how far it might allow someone to develop their inkling for when they do eventually venture to online play.
    I'm considering returning it and getting Breath of the Wild; though I heard some of the updates are DLC ish and require eShop access which seems to require a ID linked and of course being DLC $.

I posted this one in the "how to update your game cart without updating your system" thread but as its involving my curiosity of the function around the system I'm gonna ask it here as well.

Has anyone had issues with their game after updating just the game?
    Examples:
    - Has it updated the firmware version it checks before allowing you to play?
    - Has the firmware update on the cart been updated and thus tries to get you to install the new version?

Quite excited towards the potential this device has once we get it unchained lol

Few homebrew app wishes of mine would be.
    A browser or adblock browser plugin.
    A text/pdf/epub reader with image file support.
    Some kind of art/doodling app with layers and easy export/import.. though I don't know if the system has "pressure" sensitivity for use with standard "dumb" tablet stylus. (basic ones like the 3DS had.) but still a girl can dream lol.

Everything after those is gravy. :D
    ~Istol

7. BL888

BL888 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

Bit late to the game. Is it worth me buying a switch now or is it too late due to firmware version?

Thanks

8. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Only if you don't want to link a NNID account.

BL888 likes this.
  9. BL888

BL888 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Thanks buddy. Can't decide if I should just bite the bullet or hold out till wen ready

10. EpicLPer
    OP

EpicLPer Nice unless you give me a reason to hate you ;)

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Does anyone want to help update this sticky from time to time?
    I have a lot less time than I thought I'd have in the future so I can't always stay up to date when it comes to stuff like this anymore :(

11. AecdArmy

AecdArmy Because Its Nintendo

Jan 4, 2016
    The Ninty Ninja HQ
    I can help from time to time, I usually try and keep up to date with stuff anyway since my site. Can't guarantee that I will be able to update it all the time though.

Last edited by AecdArmy, Sep 3, 2017
    BL888 and peteruk like this.
  12. Talic

Talic Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2010
    United States
    Just my luck, I ended up with a 3.0.1 Switch. I bought it used (but in excellent condition) for $254.99 with BotW for $40 and a pretty good carrying case for $5.99. I'd really look forward to virtual console injecting and emulation on this device, but that may take longer for such to be possible on my console if ever. IDK if I should return it and seek out a new Switch or just deal with it and wait. If I am to deal with it, I don't see why not update? It looks like nothing in-terms of security was mentioned in the update log for 3.0.2

Last edited by Talic, Sep 8, 2017
  13. boscocraftXD

boscocraftXD Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2017
    United States
    Okay.... I've been watching the frenzy for this for a while now... but will someone please sum up where we are? Because I am NOT familiar with any of this... the most "hacking" I've done is install homebrew on my Wii.

14. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    Nowhere yet.

15. boscocraftXD

boscocraftXD Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2017
    United States
    Really? No progress? What about the Kernel dumps? Did they really yield nothing?

16. alphanator

alphanator Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 13, 2016
    United States
    Just got a used Switch,and it is on firmware 2.3.0. Is this a good update to be on?
    Would playing Mario and Rabbids update it?

17. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    You're fine. It'll be under 3.0.0.

Last edited by DarthDub, Sep 10, 2017
  18. alphanator

alphanator Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 13, 2016
    United States
    Im sure this has a simple answer to it but I have two Switch's. So If I were able to physically move the SD card from one to the other would data on it work just the same?

Also, for precaution. can I link my NNID to the second Switch while the first one has it too?

Last edited by alphanator, Sep 11, 2017
  19. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    No, and no

20. Ceuse

Ceuse Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2017
    Germany
    Just read about that blueborne vulnerbility in linux and android (bluetooth vulnerbility which leads to root acess in linux at least) anybody who is actually a hacker can chip in if this might be a way to get into the switch? (Joycons are bluetooth after all right?)

information : https://www.armis.com/blueborne/

Last edited by Ceuse, Sep 14, 2017