Switch clock speeds revealed - Lower than a Tegra X1 when docked?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by nmkd, Dec 19, 2016.

1. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    It's not all about clock speeds. A CPU/GPU can have slower clock speeds, but provides more performance than an older CPU/GPU.

2. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Compromised. Word of the day. In typical Nintendo style. The only question is how much.

Even if this isn't 100% true or accurate, I knew something like this was coming. The (reliable, inexpensive) merger of Home Console and Portable worlds cannot be made without some obvious constraints from both sides. From what I see so far, the Switch has no chance of getting Nintendo out of distant third player status in home consoles. And as a portable this thing will hardly be taken outside the home, I reckon. Plus the use of cartridges will keep games priced nice & high for ages, with less scope for discounting (like so many Vita and 3DS games) .

If they push local multiplayer a lot, things could be reasonable. If they attract third-party developers things could be OK too. But I just don't see huge sales or huge third-party interest, particularly after the Wii / Wii U disappointed many. Time will tell...

3. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Not really at all. In case of consoles clock speed means nothing. With great developer support and APIs from nVidia you can utilize it efficiently. Having a massive amount of cores and a low clock speed you can definitely run all the shaders needed for high quality graphics.

People need to stop using their PC knowledge for speculating consoles. PC doesn't have the support that consoles do. The PC game has to run on multiple hardwares where a console only needs to run on 1~ hardware. It's much easier to utilize efficiency of GPU and CPU power.

4. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's Saint Holy Sword Dragon

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    Wich was after the patents for it where revealed to the public. I could have done that too and said that my dad worked at nintendo.

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Tell that to the entire Temp and internet as a whole, you know how people are on the internet :rolleyes:

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    Thats why i compared it with the GPU architecture the Switch gonna have... Half life 2 ported to use full potential of the Tegra technlogy on Nvidia Shield TV is not even a stable 60fps, for a 10 years game... but every graphic card @ 80-100euros would do it. So... No, im really skeptic about that, i really think that the guys @ Nintendo didnt rewrite the full game of zelda just to be ported on switch, it shares common bases so clock speeds DO matter (i know its not what matter the most...) for the compare of both console.

7. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    To be honest though, HL2 had a hard time running at 60fps on Shield because of Android.

8. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Who gives two fucks even if it were true? I heard no one complaining about SNES specs when that was released. It's about the game library, not the effing retard clock speeds or GPU.

nmkd likes this.
  9. justbegamer

justbegamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2016
    Indonesia
    hope there plug-in that allow to OC and unlocked fps(lol) with/without cfw
    so hardmod with adding exaust fan will be my priority(lol)

10. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia

Look at Doom 3 BFG THAT is a proper port. Look at Half Life 2.... Your better off streaming Half Life from your PC.

TotalInsanity4 and nmkd like this.
  11. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    for the game library's sake, let's hope this isn't another Wii U.

TotalInsanity4 and D34DL1N3R like this.
  12. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    People need to learn that clock speed doesn't mean shit, it's the architecture that matters. I can underclock my GPU to 1gh heck even 500mhz and it's still gonna perform better than a GPU from 5 years ago. The point is it doesn't matter how great the clock speed is, but how much data can a GPU/CPU process in one cycle. Combine that with a good API and you've got yourself a pretty decent gaming device.

13. Aristox-0

Aristox-0 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    This is a good point^ but it doesn't fill me with hope, more like just mitigates some fear

foob likes this.
  14. DeslotlCL

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
  15. nmkd
    OP

nmkd GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Rather good news. Nothing special imo.

Edit: Apparently it's pretty good; here's a post from the Tech Discussion thread:

[quote uid=342429 name="Xzi" post=6941128]Yeah, right in line with about 85% of XB1's power like the other numbers suggest. Depending on optimization it can probably do a ~2.5 in a lot of games.[/QUOTE]<br />That's considerably faster than Tegra x1, over twice even. Switch will have a massive, massive die.<br />Edit: Actually I think the switch might be as fast as X1 on portable mode.<br />@TheDarkGreninja Also if you bothered to search "tegra x1 overclock nx" you will find something rather interesting.<br />1. Maxwell is far more capable than 2011 tech even clock for clock.<br />2. That actually hinders cpu performance with some serious lag. But Jaguar weren't that good to begin with. LPDDR4 can hit over 50GB/s with 128-bit.<br />3. Not all dev will even bother with console mode.<br />4. Nands are whole lot cheaper and faster than blueray. They can also be manufactured directly in China or India since the nanotech is used is behind cpu for the sake of lifespan.<br />5. I am willing to trust the big N. Also PS4 is slowly becoming more and more 'bro'.<br />6. Cannot argue with that one.<br />That why it's better than the wii u.

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

Last edited by nmkd, Dec 21, 2016
  16. DeslotlCL

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    Despite the settings being lower than the ps4/xbone ones? fine, i think.

17. nmkd
    OP

nmkd GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Did you seriously expect the Switch to match the XB1 or PS4?

18. DeslotlCL

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    Not really...

19. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Not saying it wouldn't be cool, if they could push it a bit more, but I'm sure it is close enough.

20. nmkd
    OP

nmkd GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    Gambia, The
    We still don't know the actual performance. Wait till Jan 13 (or March)