Hardware Swapping the PS3 hard drive.

yatesl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Going from an 80GB fat PS3 hard drive, to a new 500GB I'm buying tomorrow (picking up a Western Digital 5xxx RPM speed, yeah?). How would I go about transfering all my saves, profiles, and whatnot? I don't really care about any downloaded content - my PSN games can be redownloaded from the PSN. However, it's more my saves (namely, my family's), and my trophies.

Trophies only carry over if they're synced, right? That should be easy enough to do, I'll just need to sign in on each profile. What about saves - I'm using the PS3 back up utility, to copy everything (that's a lot of GB... does it carry over ripped games, too?). It mentioned something about copy protected saves, any idea what (popular) games are? And I'll just do a restore once the new drive's in, right?

Whilst I'm on the subject, what kind of screwdriver will I need? Anything else? I've heard it's easy, but never seen anything on it.

ThetaSigma10

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In regards to the hardware side of things, all you have to do with the fat is pry open the hatch at the side, undo the blue screw with your standard phillips-head screwdriver, and slide out the drive. easy.

Dunno about data transfer though. Good luck.

yatesl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Done it. Picked up this hard drive. Fit fine, although I didn't realise I had to have a firmware on a USB stick to format it. Took two hours to restore my data backed up on to my external, and now I'm going through the process again of copying my games to it.

It fills up fast - especially compared to the Wii! I'm starting to think I should have got a 1TB.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
ThetaSigma10 said:
Yeah, i probably would have gone with a 1tb if i were you. 100 bucks isnt much to pay for that much value.
they won't fit in the ps3 without a hardware mod drives that are more than 9.5mm thick won't work so 12.5mm 2.5inch ones won't fit and that is that are the thinest 1tb hdd's

Relf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's an option for it under system I believe, one for transferring from PS3 to PS3 and one from PS3 to Fat32 external hard drive / really large flash drive via USB. Won't save your trophies though.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, in the system menu there's a 'backup' and a 'restore' setting. Before removing the initial HDD, plug in a FAT32 external HDD and run the 'backup' option. Once you've installed the new HDD (which is a surprisingly easy thing to do) plug the external back in and select the 'restore' option.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thaddius said:
Yeah, in the system menu there's a 'backup' and a 'restore' setting. Before removing the initial HDD, plug in a FAT32 external HDD and run the 'backup' option. Once you've installed the new HDD (which is a surprisingly easy thing to do) plug the external back in and select the 'restore' option.

There are a 'few' games where the backup option will fail. They have encrypted saves that don't transfer over. AC:B is one but I can't recall the others. Just an FYI.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water