Hacking Swapping .arc objects in a Wii game using Wiiscrubber and SZS modifier help

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm going to go back and play Skyward Sword, but I had a huge gripe about the game that I really want to fix before I start again. And that's that the Hylian Shield is only available after about 80% of the game is complete, which is unacceptable to me! So I took to the web and found this guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-replace-zelda-ss-textures-and-models.313747/

The only problem is that when I repack the ISO with the swapped files (I just renamed the Hylian Shield Wooden shield, so that It would call it when I equipped the wooden shield) and tried to see if it works, the game just stops after the Wiimote warning. It's the same with every other game that I try to replace .arc files with, the ISO no longer allows me to get past the Wiimote screen and only allows me to load save states.

Will these save states suffice? I mean, I tried changing Mario's cap in Galaxy 2, but after loading a Save State, nothing happens. If anyone can clue me in as to what I'm doing wrong, please let me know! I'm just following the guide I posted to the T.

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing? I know it can be done! I've see those palette swaps, and in them I've definitely seen the Hylian shield in use before it should be.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
1.) wit extract IMAGE.wbfs temp.dir
2.) change/edit/rename files in temp.dir
3.) wit copy temp.dir NEWIMAGE.wbfs

Not only image format WBFS is possible, also ISO, CISO, WDF, WIA and GCX.

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.) wit extract IMAGE.wbfs temp.dir
2.) change/edit/rename files in temp.dir
3.) wit copy temp.dir NEWIMAGE.wbfs

Not only image format WBFS is possible, also ISO, CISO, WDF, WIA and GCX.

Firstly, thank you so much for such a strong lead!
I've successfully extracted the iso into a temp directory, however because it is not a wbfs, it's not working quite as you say it should. The file in question is still just an object pack.arc.LZ. And so I go about the usual process as described in the thread I posted. After copying the modified temp.dir into an iso, the game actually loads to the Wii motion plus calibration.

Progress!

But then when I get past this point it just fails to load. So now I begin to think I'm modifying the object pack.arc.LZ file incorrectly. So again I reference your post and decide to extract the files, swap their names in Windows Explorer, and replace them in SzS explorer. Doing it this way results in the same thing - Failure to load after the Wii Motion Plus calibration :/

So is there something I'm doing wrong in SzS explorer? my process is as follows

-Extract both files in question
-Swap names in Windows Explorer
-Open SZS, replace both files with their respective new counterparts
-save, close, recompress, replace, and wit copy to SS.iso

After doing a little bit of reading, i find that brresC files are just LZ files, so they're basically nested, and I just have to do the process again, only open and edit them with one of the appropriate editor... which is now my main problem. Brres editor can't even edit files, SZS can't either, and Brawlbox won't let me save edited files. There's also the fact that none of these will allow me to replace the 3d models. So I'm stuck once again, so close to my goal.

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is ridiculous, any time I change any values, the checksum goes off and it kills the game. I don't think it's possible to hack the game in order to get the Hylian shield early. I'm giving up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: GM all