Survey: What will everyone do when nothing happens? (Part 2, November 9, 2017)

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by delete12345, Nov 10, 2017.

?

What will you do?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2017.
  1. Do not update until Nintendo Switch no longer matters to me. (Believe! Have faith!)

20.9%
  2. Update the moment I received my dream game for the Nintendo Switch. (Port, sequel, exclusive, etc.)

39.5%
  3. Buy a new Nintendo Switch to be my primary Nintendo device. (No more firmware updates concerns.)

19.8%
  4. I do not own a Nintendo Switch.

19.8%
  1. delete12345
    OP

delete12345 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 27, 2010
    United States
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Previous Survey:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/survey-...hing-happens-part-1-september-23-2017.484917/

Recent important relevant events happening in between the surveys:

Apparently it is possible to trick NES Golf into loading on your Switch:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/apparen...-nes-golf-into-loading-on-your-switch.485956/

PegaSwitch 3.0, libtransistor, and more:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/pegaswitch-3-0-libtransistor-and-more.485633/

Nintendo Switch bootrom dumped:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-bootrom-dumped.486841/

Nintendo Switch 4.0.0 Firmware Update Landed
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-4-0-0.487177/

Nintendo Switch 4.0.1 Firmware Update Landed
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-update-4-0-1-released.487785/

Super Mario Odyssey is released
    https://gbatemp.net/review/super-mario-odyssey.665/

Kernel exploit was achieved
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/kexploit-for-switch-achieved-by-plutoo-and-friends-no-release.488213/

Hulu is now released to the Nintendo Switch
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/hulu-comes-to-the-nintendo-switch.488888/

Survey Question:

"smhax" is a very, very "potential" exploit that I know almost everyone following it is excited for. But let's just assume nothing happens indefinitely into the future.

Yes, I know, this is some "weird" way of thinking, and this "idea", this "false dichotomy", this "stupid question" will never stay true to the end of time, and "smhax" will eventually happen one way or another. But I really want you to assume it's not happening. That 0.0000...01% of it.

What will you do when "smhax" is nothing but a rumor, a myth, a legend, a "Holy Grail" that never happened? When that happens, please answer the survey!

Purpose:

This is a 2-part survey that I will be personally conducting. This is for me to gather information and evaluate from a sample size of the volunteers who answered the poll, to see what is the current trend at this point in time. Poll survey will close in 20 days. There are 3 scenarios that will occur 30 days (no, not a typo) from now that I am very curious on the effects in this community:
    • Super Mario Odyssey (aka, the release day marks the Before/After hype cycle effect)
    • smhax is happening! (aka, best case scenario occurring since the start of this poll)
    • smhax is not happening! (aka, the current scenario, 30 days later)
    I am polling upon what is known about the effects of the hype cycle, and how it can affect the community in a narrowly-focused fashion. We can then compare the before poll results and after poll results, to determine what has happened, if there is a shift, and other interesting things.

Rules:
    • Everything is the same as the first survey.
    • This is a long term study I am conducting. (Of minimum of 30 days at the earliest)
    • Voting result is publicly available to everyone.
    • You cannot vote more than once for accuracy reasons, and to reduce potentially misleading results.
    • Poll will close in 20 days thereafter.
    • The 1st part of the survey starts now. The 2nd part of the survey starts in minimum of 30 days later. (It can be 35 days, or more, depending on future unforeseen, uncontrollable circumstances.)
    • Both 1st part and 2nd part surveys will have identical thread titles (sans the date), poll questions and answers. This is for accurate comparisons only.
    • I cannot do advanced data statistics, because I'm not well versed in statistics.
    • Anything goes in the comments. I'm happy to take in feedback!

Thank you to all volunteers, stay safe and I still love you all, bros and gals!

Last edited by delete12345, Nov 10, 2017
    blinkzane likes this.
  2. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    Ayy thanks for sharing my thread haha

3. ItsTheWolf

ItsTheWolf Splatoon 2 Addict

Dec 25, 2016
    Vietnam
    Will intentionally update whenever Splatoon 2 decide to not let me play online because of outdated fw.
    Will unintentionally update whenever I get impatient and mash the A button and accidentally allow it to update.

4. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Well, I continued to update my 3DS until a hack caught up to me, years later. Probably do the same, if I had a Switch.

5. X2XO

X2XO Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    I purchased another Switch yesterday. Wasn't my intention to do so originally but the wait turned out harder than I thought :\

6. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Can we just stop with this nonsense? Can't people do as they please with their damn consoles without people debating to update or not?

RedHunter likes this.
  7. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    No option for already updated... Odyssey was worth it, and Xenoblade in a few weeks will seal the deal.

TotalInsanity4, blujay and DarthDub like this.
  8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    get on with their lives that's WHAT :creep:

9. shixooo

shixooo Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2017
    Egypt
    Mario odyssey is a masterpiece,Doom is the best ported game for a console ever and xenoblade goona be a beast,so why I'll keep my switch outdated :)

10. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    i would love some sort of hax on my switch , but tbh i will be updating the moment i see a game that is very appealing to me and is only playable on the switch.
    i will update away for a game if nothing comes etc.

11. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Our only realistic hope for homebrew on switch will likely be this

:P

Last edited by zoogie, Nov 10, 2017
    DarthDub likes this.
  12. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    None of the above.

If no hacks are released within the next few months, I'm selling my Switch (on fw 2.2.0), preferably before a new model comes out (if a new model ever comes out).

I just hope I get at least the same/roughly the same amount of money I paid for it. Asshole devs, dangling carrots in front of us. "Ooooh, look at what I can do and you can't."

Last edited by DSpider, Nov 10, 2017
    MonMonz and Jayro like this.
  13. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Honestly thought more people would not update. I could live with 3.0 and under games.

14. MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ

Apr 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
    Question is for how long? If you have to wait +1 year why do you bought the switch, in the first place?

15. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Just wait while playing the games you want to play. I'm sure everyone's got backlogs in there somewhere be it Steam, or on consoles.

16. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I still don't own a switch.
    But I might just update it to play the game I want. If I'll buy one for a game I want, no reason to keep it low if I can't play the game which I specifically bought the console for. (I hope my grammar's good enough)

wicksand420 likes this.
  17. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    my switch is still on its launch firmware, its never been used since i got bored of BOT after the first few weeks.

must say it makes a nice paper weight lol.

Thelonewolf88 likes this.
  18. RedHunter

RedHunter Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2014
    Italy
    I think I'll wait for maybe another year. My new Xbox One X will be a good way to pass the time. People who already update should have known it takes time to get the good stuff.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  19. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

GBAtemp Patron
    blujay is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Maybe. Or maybe we'd like to use a $300 console. I agree with this statement:
    It is probably best to update because eventually a hack will catch up. Every firmware is not without its flaws.
    Besides, maybe by that time I will be ready to softmod my Switch.

20. Thelonewolf88

Thelonewolf88 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2016
    United States
    Simple, I use and collect other stuff. Still have PSP's on 1.00 and 1.50, 3DS's on 1.00 and 4.5 and about 30 other systems from 1977-2017 and thousands of games to mess with.

One of my Switch's is on 2.00 and boxed away.