Hacking Supercard Dstwo Plus Flashcard on my New 3ds XL

Which flashcard do you think is better for playing NDS and N3DS games?

• Supercard Dstwo Plus

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • R4 R4i SDHC 3DS RTS (with cfw installed)

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was looking around for flash cards that would play DS games, 3DS games, and maybe GBA games. As many of you can probably guess, I found the DSTwo Plus flashcard. While looking for genuine sellers, I found that people were having issues with their consoles being bricked due to Gateway 3DS. Now, my 3DS is currently version 9.9.0-26U, so 3DS games won't work on the flashcard without downgrading the DS. I have yet to buy the card or downgrade due to this issue, so I was wondering if any of you knew when I would be able to safely play 3DS games on my DSTwo Plus flashcard, without having my DS bricked. If any of you know when the DSTwo Plus will update to play 3DS games on versions above 9.2, or if it's safe to downgrade and play, any answer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I've decided I'll get the Dstwo Plus, and play only DS (and GBA) games for the time being. And when I complete all of those, (or just get bored of them lol) I can either download Luma3DS, or SC's own 3DS emulator plugin, if a stable release is out by then :). Thank you to everyone for all the help!

Last edited by iFloruff391_Mew,

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So as long as I don't play 3DS games using the Gateway code, it should work on my firmware version? Thanks :). But also, do you know when this problem will be fixed, if ever? Because I have a few games in mind (mainly Pokémon and Kirby) that I would have liked to play, and if this problem can't be fixed, I might as well just get a r4i card.

EDIT: Is there any other way to play 3DS games using this card, or is there other software that has hacked the system, allowing you to play them for free?

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So as long as I don't play 3DS games, it should work on my firmware version? Thanks :). But also, do you know when this problem will be fixed, if ever? Because I have a few games in mind (mainly Pokémon and Kirby) that I would have liked to play, and if this problem can't be fixed, I might as well just get a r4i card
Get an r4i and cfw. It's far superior and costs far less.

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, this is probably a really stupid question, but what is cfw and how does it work? Does it allow you to play 3ds games? Because I just bought my DS today, and I would hate for the 3d aspect of it to go to waste.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have their own software and now (a modded version of reinand) so you don't have to worry about bricking due to Gateway software

but what is cfw and how does it work? Does it allow you to play 3ds games?
cfw is basically a collection of patches that allow you to run unsigned code . . . This allows you to install .3ds games in .CIA format . . . Also a CIA can be more than a 3ds game they can also be (GBA /GB(c)/nes/ SNES/ Sega/game gear/ dsiware/3dsware) games as well

Last edited by wormdood,

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cfw is basically a collection of patches that allow you to run unsigned code . . . This allows you to install .3ds games in .CIA format . . . Also a CIA can be more than a 3ds game they can also be (GBA /GB(c)/nes/ SNES/ Sega/game gear/ dsiware/3dsware) games as well

So basically I can get an r4i card as well as cfw, and be able to play 3ds games as well? However, how do you download cfw? (Sorry, stupid questions again). And once you download it, do you have to install it onto the card; how does it work? Do you download normal 3ds roms, then convert them in .CIA files?... Sorry for being such a noob, with my previous DS, I had an r4 card, but played only 2D games, as the 3DS had not come out, so I don't have much knowledge on this subject.

I mean the one you might be interested in.

The original one I was looking at was the Supercard DSTWO Plus:
1.png

But if I get an r4 card, I will most likely get this one (R4 R4i SDHC 3DS RTS):
r4i-sdhc3dsrts1.jpg

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically I can get an r4i card as well as cfw, and be able to play 3ds games as well? However, how do you download cfw? (Sorry, stupid questions again). And once you download it, do you have to install it onto the card; how does it work? Do you download normal 3ds roms, then convert them in .CIA files?... Sorry for being such a noob, with my previous DS, I had an r4 card, but played only 2D games, as the 3DS had not come out, so I don't have much knowledge on this subject.

The original one I was looking at was the Supercard DSTWO Plus:
1.png

But if I get an r4 card, I will most likely get this one (R4 R4i SDHC 3DS RTS):
r4i-sdhc3dsrts1.jpg
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki :)

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just scanned through the link you sent me, and it looks like I basically just have to download a ton of stuff (and follow the instructions of course), and then will be able to download 3DS and DS games (and GBA? wormdood said you can install any type of file as a .cia file)? It seems like a very long process, which I'm fine with; the only thing is, will it do anything to my DS? Would you personally recommend doing this over getting a DSTwo Plus?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just scanned through the link you sent me, and it looks like I basically just have to download a ton of stuff (and follow the instructions of course), and then will be able to download 3DS and DS games (and GBA? wormdood said you can install any type of file as a .cia file)? It seems like a very long process, which I'm fine with; the only thing is, will it do anything to my DS? Would you personally recommend doing this over getting a DSTwo Plus?
No, you still need a Nintendo ds flash cart for ds games/roms, but for 3ds games using the guide to get yourself CFW (Custom firmware) will allow you to install the cia files that the 3ds games are on. :)

The super card dstwo should be able to play gba games as a emulator and rom but from my knowledge is very primiatave and not very efficent like most PC emulators like Visualboy advance. Having CFW you can also use homebrew emulators and roms just like you would on flashcart as well. Using CFW you can also install GBA GAmes from CIA files like 3ds games on eshop which is a lot better and efficent but mostly limited to what games are on eshop as apposed to "Any game i want" Since it uses the virtual console emulation.

For simple explantion, having CFW allows you to get homebrew, emulators and other misc. apps that do things (Sometimes useful or not depending on the person) and 3ds games without needing to buy them on eshop, by installing the cia files you can find yourself. :)
But you still need a DS flashcart for DS games. :mellow:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you still need a Nintendo ds flash cart for ds games/roms, but for 3ds games using the guide to get yourself CFW (Custom firmware) will allow you to install the cia files that the 3ds games are on. :)

The super card dstwo should be able to play gba games as a emulator and rom but from my knowledge is very primiatave and not very efficent like most emulators. Having CFW you can also use homebrew emulators and roms just like you would on flashcart as well. Using CFW you can also install GBA GAmes from CIA files like 3ds games on eshop which is a lot better and efficent but mostly limited to what games are on eshop as apposed to "Any game i want" Since it uses the virtual console emulation.

For simple explantion, having CFW allows you to get 3ds games without needing to buy them on eshop, by installing the cia files you can find yourself. :)
But you still need a DS flashcart for DS games. :mellow:

That's what I meant; I'm buying a flashcart either way, I'm just stuck between which one to buy. Thanks, though :)

I also heard that the emulators for the DSTwo Plus weren't very great, and couldn't run some games. Although then again, the only GBA games I would want to play are Pokémon... So do you have any experience with either of these flashcarts?

And just to make sure, installing cfw won't harm my DS in any way, right? Like, it's safe to use? And if I do install it, there's no limit to the games? (For example, I can get Kirby Robobot :P?)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I meant; I'm buying a flashcart either way, I'm just stuck between which one to buy. Thanks, though :)

I also heard that the emulators for the DSTwo Plus weren't very great, and couldn't run some games. Although then again, the only GBA games I would want to play are Pokémon... So do you have any experience with either of these flashcarts?
While the dstwo is more expensive than the r4i. I recommend that one personally.
But if you aren't looking to invest so much, r4i is also good to my knowledge as well.

Dstwo can do lot more than run emulators.
http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/
While the main focus of the dstwo is to play SNES, GBA, 3DS, and NDS it actually has decent good features for the price it ask for. But if you get one please ignore the gateway features as you having CFW already better. If you plan on using this for long term use or power using for emulation and games is okay.

If you plan on using flashcart for just NDS games and nothing too fancy, get the r4i as is much cheaper and may not feel regretable if you decided to stop using it after short while. :)

There is also homebrew emulators for CFW as well :D

The thing to note is that it will require you to buy a micro sd card, (Anything up to 32GB should be enough) to use with the flashcarts. So it would mean you have one sd card for the flashcart and one for the 3ds system. Both able to use homebrew and play roms on. :)

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the gba emulation is not 1 to 1 on a scds2 (it is 1 to 1 via cia) . . . but all the cia version gba pokemon games (i have found) have an problem fitting properly onto the 3ds screen and so if you want to play gba pokemon games on your 3ds i would recommend the scds2. in a game like pokemon (jrpgs) you wont even notice the emulators speed issue

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the gba emulation is not 1 to 1 on a scds2 (it is 1 to 1 via cia) . . . but all the cia version gba pokemon games (i have found) have an problem fitting properly onto the 3ds screen and so if you want to play gba pokemon games on your 3ds i would recommend the scds2. in a game like pokemon (jrpgs) you wont even notice the emulators speed issue

Is scds2 an emulator, or something to do with cfw? Either way, would it work with either card?

While the dstwo is more expensive than the r4i. I recommend that one personally.
But if you aren't looking to invest so much, r4i is also good to my knowledge as well.

Dstwo can do lot more than run emulators.
http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/
While the main focus of the dstwo is to play SNES, GBA, 3DS, and NDS it actually has decent good features for the price it ask for. But if you get one please ignore the gateway features as you having CFW already better. If you plan on using this for long term use or power using for emulation and games is okay.

If you plan on using flashcart for just NDS games and nothing too fancy, get the r4i as is much cheaper and may not feel regretable if you decided to stop using it after short while. :)

There is also homebrew emulators for CFW as well :D

The thing to note is that it will require you to buy a micro sd card, (Anything up to 32GB should be enough) to use with the flashcarts. So it would mean you have one sd card for the flashcart and one for the 3ds system. Both able to use homebrew and play roms on. :)

When you ask if I want to do anything other than play games, do you mean listen to music, watch movies, play homebrews, etc.? Because personally, I don't really listen to music that much, and I have an iTouch anyways. As for movies, I would rather not use up the battery, and on a much smaller screen in comparison to a computer for example. Also, I'm pretty sure they would take up quite a lot of space if you get a lot. I don't really plan on playing homebrews, just because I personally prefer actual games. But is there anything else the DSTwo is good for? Because the money part isn't an issue, but originally I thought that and the gateway 3DS were the only way to play DS and 3DS games on the same card. But now that there's a way to play them on the r4 card, I feel as if that might be a better option, firstly because I'm still a little worried about the bricking, and if I can't play GBA games, that's not much of a setback for me. My only question is the extent of limitation to the games I can play using cfw. Like are all the new games on the eShop? Or does it take longer for them to be on there? Like would Pokémon Alpha Sapphire or Kirby Planet Robobot be on there? Because aren't you only able to download games on the eShop?

Also, I knew about the microSD cards, but which brand would you recommend? Kingston, SanDisk, etc.?

Oh yeah, and I do plan on using this for a while, as I would hate for the money to go to waste :)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is scds2 an emulator, or something to do with cfw? Either way, would it work with either card?

When you ask if I want to do anything other than play games, do you mean listen to music, watch movies, play homebrews, etc.? Because personally, I don't really listen to music that much, and I have an iTouch anyways. As for movies, I would rather not use up the battery, and on a much smaller screen in comparison to a computer for example. Also, I'm pretty sure they would take up quite a lot of space if you get a lot. I don't really plan on playing homebrews, just because I personally prefer actual games. But is there anything else the DSTwo is good for? Because the money part isn't an issue, but originally I thought that and the gateway 3DS were the only way to play DS and 3DS games on the same card. But now that there's a way to play them on the r4 card, I feel as if that might be a better option, firstly because I'm still a little worried about the bricking, and if I can't play GBA games, that's not much of a setback for me. My only question is the extent of limitation to the games I can play using cfw. Like are all the new games on the eShop? Or does it take longer for them to be on there? Like would Pokémon Alpha Sapphire or Kirby Planet Robobot be on there? Because aren't you only able to download games on the eShop?

Also, I knew about the microSD cards, but which brand would you recommend? Kingston, SanDisk, etc.?

Oh yeah, and I do plan on using this for a while, as I would hate for the money to go to waste :)

If you check out the link i posted previously, you can see the other features of the DSTWO if it dosen't interest you, then just get the r4 card.

Sandisk are best sd card brand.

I personally recommend dstwo as it also features a more accurate gameplay for games. Espcially some that have copy protection that need fixes for it, dstwo will be safe to use. :)

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you check out the link i posted previously, you can see the other features of the DSTWO if it dosen't interest you, then just get the r4 card.

Sandisk are best sd card brand.

I personally recommend dstwo as it also features a more accurate gameplay for games. Espcially some that have copy protection that need fixes for it, dstwo will be safe to use. :)

But will it ever work for 3D games? And will their ever be an emulator that's safe to use? (Is scds2 an emulator?)

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Scds2 is short for the DSTwo *facepalm*

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But will it ever work for 3D games? And will their ever be an emulator that's safe to use? (Is scds2 an emulator?)
No The flash cart is not a emulator, and it will not work for 3d games. The flash cart is a imitation cart used to story multiple rom files (The same exact thing as if you had a bunch of carts but all in one) and uses the system to play the game normally as intended, and no ds flash cart will be able to play 3ds games, with CFW you can play 3ds games by installing cia files that contains the games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.