Gaming Super Smash Bros lag is just terrible!

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me and Huntereb have played and didn't experience any lag.. I can play 4 player matches with no lag.. If you are experiencing lag it's most likely the other person. Don't forget during certain times of the day internet can become sluggish regardless.

Reactions: Huntereb

NotAnAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wounder if Super Smash Bros server has an address I can run a tracert of my CMD? Does anyone know an address at all please?

I have enabled UPnP on your advice, so if it goes wrong, I mean even worse I will come and hunt you down! :gun: :lol:

I checked what the 3ds connects to once you connect online in smash 3ds with ettercap.
It connects to 118.151.128.60 once you hit "online". Then it connects to 202.32.117.142 and 202.32.117.143 after. Probably more in that subnet as well if those go down.

It connects directly to the other players once you are in the player select screen.

It doesn't matter what you ping to nintendo's servers. It's peer to peer.

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed that the lag happens more often than not, sometimes it would go away after someone leaves the lobby. So I'm thinking it might be the other players? Or maybe it's just because Nintendo network is just having trouble keeping up with 2.8 million players.

NotAnAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed that the lag happens more often than not, sometimes it would go away after someone leaves the lobby. So I'm thinking it might be the other players? Or maybe it's just because Nintendo network is just having trouble keeping up with 2.8 million players.

It's p2p, nintendo's servers have no real relevance.

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Well I had one weird case. I went to 4-player free-for-all and the first match was laggy but playable. Then the second match one person dropped out so we were 3 left fighting and the match went much smoother (probably a 0.5 sec lag at most). Then for the third match another guy dropped out so it was me against this random guy and holy cow it was the battle with the worst lag ever. Think of the training mode when you set the game speed to x0.25 that's how the match went on matrix-style and it lasted forever.

So how is it possible getting an even worse lag when dropping from 3 to 2 players at the time? It is really beyond me.

NotAnAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I had one weird case. I went to 4-player free-for-all and the first match was laggy but playable. Then the second match one person dropped out so we were 3 left fighting and the match went much smoother (probably a 0.5 sec lag at most). Then for the third match another guy dropped out so it was me against this random guy and holy cow it was the battle with the worst lag ever. Think of the training mode when you set the game speed to x0.25 that's how the match went on matrix-style and it lasted forever.

So how is it possible getting an even worse lag when dropping from 3 to 2 players at the time? It is really beyond me.
This is extremely unlikely to be the case, but
If the last person was the same person in the original games, then it's possible that the game went through a relay network. That would only happen if both of you had a strict NAT and one of the previous players had their 3ds's port forwarded.
Enable upnp if it's not already enabled on your router. I'm not totally sure if the 3ds even uses upnp, I'll check later.

Keep in mind on a working router you don't need to port forward or even need upnp. The 3ds creates a udp connection on a random port with Nintendo's servers and it then shares the port with each 3ds. They keep communicating on that same port. Closed networks don't allow communications from different hosts even on the same port. That's why you could fix that issue with a relayed network, but it would slow things down a lot. Nintendo really should have added a connection test like XBL.

TLDR: I don't think the nintendo's backbone has relay networks, so it's just more likely he just walked too far or someone's family/friends started using netflix.

EDIT: It does not appear to use upnp.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I checked what the 3ds connects to once you connect online in smash 3ds with ettercap.
It connects to 118.151.128.60 once you hit "online". Then it connects to 202.32.117.142 and 202.32.117.143 after. Probably more in that subnet as well if those go down.

It connects directly to the other players once you are in the player select screen.

It doesn't matter what you ping to nintendo's servers. It's peer to peer.

Thanks for the addresses will check them out. I was actually just messing around with SSB yesterday and I was spectating and placing silly bets of like 50 - 100 coins and losing miserably but that's beside the point but from watching that I had no lag at all watching the games! Some games I can play 4 player smash glory no lag at all but that is just very random most matches I play and this is from the start the SSB circle pops up in the bottom right hand corner goes round and round and I then struggle to even exit the online match, its just that bad. I have now tried everything and I have even got onto BT Infinity to see if its my connection at fault cause its just annoying now I want to play SSB online but its just unplayable for me and no point whatsoever! I don't get lag in any other games at all, this is what bothers me as well! Also I here from others its peer to peer so I tested Glasnost but that came back all green and OK. This is how I now feel :hateit:

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This is extremely unlikely to be the case, but
If the last person was the same person in the original games, then it's possible that the game went through a relay network. That would only happen if both of you had a strict NAT and one of the previous players had their 3ds's port forwarded.
Enable upnp if it's not already enabled on your router. I'm not totally sure if the 3ds even uses upnp, I'll check later.

Keep in mind on a working router you don't need to port forward or even need upnp. The 3ds creates a udp connection on a random port with Nintendo's servers and it then shares the port with each 3ds. They keep communicating on that same port. Closed networks don't allow communications from different hosts even on the same port. That's why you could fix that issue with a relayed network, but it would slow things down a lot. Nintendo really should have added a connection test like XBL.

TLDR: I don't think the nintendo's backbone has relay networks, so it's just more likely he just walked too far or someone's family/friends started using netflix.

EDIT: It does not appear to use upnp.

I did read everything but I just realized how little I know about routers, I barely set up a DMZ for my 3DS since I was constantly getting errors when looking for a match but that's about it, although I'll look into what you mentioned later, thanks.
Thanks for the addresses will check them out. I was actually just messing around with SSB yesterday and I was spectating and placing silly bets of like 50 - 100 coins and losing miserably but that's beside the point but from watching that I had no lag at all watching the games! Some games I can play 4 player smash glory no lag at all but that is just very random most matches I play and this is from the start the SSB circle pops up in the bottom right hand corner goes round and round and I then struggle to even exit the online match, its just that bad. I have now tried everything and I have even got onto BT Infinity to see if its my connection at fault cause its just annoying now I want to play SSB online but its just unplayable for me and no point whatsoever! I don't get lag in any other games at all, this is what bothers me as well! Also I here from others its peer to peer so I tested Glasnost but that came back all green and OK. This is how I now feel :hateit:
Watching the games posses no problem since when you're betting your coins you're actually watching at a replay not a live game. I can confirm this since I was watching some fox replays in the replay channel and then when I went to bet some coins I came across the exact same match, with the same result, same mistakes, same dodges across the fight, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: