Hacking Super Smash Bros. Brawl (NTSC-U) DVDroot setup?

samedifference

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new. I've relied on GBATemp for quite a while for useful info on homebrew/modding. Recently, I've run into a problem that I can't solve, so I decided to register and ask for help. Basically, I'm trying to get Brawl running in Dolphin from a folder on my HDD through the DVDroot/apploader options, to make testing mods more convenient. My big problem however, is that whenever I launch the main DOL, I always get "Please insert the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Game Disc". I've tried looking for a solution elsewhere, and I've also tried numerous supposed solutions, none of which have worked for me so far. Could anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? (Sorry if a thread like this already exists, but I couldn't seem to find one here)

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
to make testing mods more convenient.
Assuming you are performing PAC/PSA edits (BrawlEx, Project M, or even base Brawl) the easier solution is to just use a SD.raw [and dolphin 4.0-7161 or newer].

If however you are already using a gecko.dol, the only thing you probably missed is right clicking your Brawl.iso in Dolphin and setting it as the default ISO.

Reactions: samedifference

samedifference

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, the SD.raw solution seems to work fine so far, it just requires mounting the virtual disk; it's pretty much no different from inserting an SD card to edit.
Originally, I was just trying to boot Brawl's boot.dol directly, but as you mentioned the gecko.dol, would Riivolution actually work too (with Brawl as default ISO)?

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Thanks, the SD.raw solution seems to work fine so far, it just requires mounting the virtual disk; it's pretty much no different from inserting an SD card to edit.
Originally, I was just trying to boot Brawl's boot.dol directly, but as you mentioned the gecko.dol, would Riivolution actually work too (with Brawl as default ISO)?
Yes, Riivolution will work as well. But honestly if you are just going to work on Brawl I highly recommend just setting up the private/RSBE/fighter blah blah (you know the drill if you are familiar with Brawl mods) and launching the modification with a gecko.dol. It works quite smoothly. An example would be Project M XP - a Project M mod that integrates BrawlEx.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back