Super Smash Bros. 3DS Sells 705,000 copies in first two days - America

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario Kart 8 sold 1.2 million in the first few days, why cant SSB for the U do the same thing?

1.2 million worldwide. This pulled 700,000 in north America alone, not counting Japan and Europe.

Mario Kart Wii also sold like 3 times as many copies as Brawl. Mario Kart is a larger system seller, especially considering SSB is now split between two platforms. There's not as much of an urge to buy a Wii U for a game you already own (even if it's the "definitive version"), plus there will be people who played the 3DS version and either don't want to play it more on another console or just didn't like it. Having it release like a month later is definitely going to hurt sales.

D

Deleted User

1.2 million worldwide. This pulled 700,000 in north America alone, not counting Japan and Europe.

Mario Kart Wii also sold like 3 times as many copies as Brawl. Mario Kart is a larger system seller, especially considering SSB is now split between two platforms. There's not as much of an urge to buy a Wii U for a game you already own (even if it's the "definitive version"), plus there will be people who played the 3DS version and either don't want to play it more on another console or just didn't like it. Having it release like a month later is definitely going to hurt sales.
You keep thinking that bud, I'll see you back here in a month & a half with the results. I understand you have a irrational hate for Nintendo but bring it down a notch SmashWiiU is gonna shit on everything.

"plus there will be people who played the 3DS version and either don't want to play it more on another console or just didn't like it."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You keep thinking that bud, I'll see you back here in a month & a half with the results. I understand you have a irrational hate for Nintendo but bring it down a notch SmashWiiU is gonna shit on everything.

"plus there will be people who played the 3DS version and either don't want to play it more on another console or just didn't like it."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

I'm going to save this as a draft right now to rub it in your face, and I'll feel good doing it.

EDIT: Also the 3DS version has sold over 2.8 million copies at this point. It's sold basically as much as Mario Kart 8, which has been out for months, in a couple of weeks. If you believe the Wii U version will do better than the 3DS version then you're not only delusional, you're braindead.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If they were really thinking they would have released the wii u version first to move units.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The next Mario Kart will be named Mario Kart 10 because they will skip 9.

Subtle jokes aside (*raises pinky*), I was disappointed in a few things with this game.

- No CPP (seriously, fuck you)
- My computer is LITERALLY faster to load Windows 7 than my 3DS loading this game
- No Internet Browser while I play. Yes, I use it quite a lot when I want to unlock shit in a game
- No Miiverse (but I don't give a crap, really)

But I can forgive all of this if the online weren't so atrocious. I get errors every single time I get in, and sometimes I get a timeout of 5 seconds (!?). And the noobs deliberately lagging the game to have more time to think during matches, and the servers suddenly disconnecting, and NO LEADERBOARDS.

They shutted down the WFC to save money. Well then, use those money to get better servers for your current consoles. Can you imagine the weeks of clusterfuck when the Wii U version comes out? The servers will catch on fire or something.

If the Wii U version is going to have leaderboards to get people to buy their shitty home console I swear I'm going full Sonytard.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The next Mario Kart will be named Mario Kart 10 because they will skip 9.

Subtle jokes aside (*raises pinky*), I was disappointed in a few things with this game.

- No CPP (seriously, fuck you)
- My computer is LITERALLY faster to load Windows 7 than my 3DS loading this game
- No Internet Browser while I play. Yes, I use it quite a lot when I want to unlock shit in a game
- No Miiverse (but I don't give a crap, really)

But I can forgive all of this if the online weren't so atrocious. I get errors every single time I get in, and sometimes I get a timeout of 5 seconds (!?). And the noobs deliberately lagging the game to have more time to think during matches, and the servers suddenly disconnecting, and NO LEADERBOARDS.

They shutted down the WFC to save money. Well then, use those money to get better servers for your current consoles. Can you imagine the weeks of clusterfuck when the Wii U version comes out? The servers will catch on fire or something.

If the Wii U version is going to have leaderboards to get people to buy their shitty home console I swear I'm going full Sonytard.
The online is complete bullshit. the lag makes it unplayable. They need to improve the online with a patch in the 3ds version, and the wii u better have smooth online

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
If they were really thinking they would have released the wii u version first to move units.

Christmas' is coming and they know parents/family members spent a shit ton of money during this season so Nintendo made a smart move to release it later because that's when it's most profitable for any company, especially Nintendo since they target the kiddy/family audience.

I'm just glad I snatched the Super Smash Bros. Bundle (game & adapter) for £40 ($64) and I'll have it around December 5-7 so even though it might be hard to get it later on I'll have my copy already.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was reading Nintendo America expected the 3DS version to sale 5-10 times the amount it did in the first 2 days. And because of they didn't, they have a landfill's worth of copies sitting around. Don't be surprised now if there is some kinds of promotions to move North American copies of the games quicker.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was reading Nintendo America expected the 3DS version to sale 5-10 times the amount it did in the first 2 days. And because of they didn't, they have a landfill's worth of copies sitting around. Don't be surprised now if there is some kinds of promotions to move North American copies of the games quicker.

so noa supposedly thought they would sell 3.5-7 million units in two days? that kinda sounds like cockypop

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

The only games which have 3-5 mil copies sold are the extremely overhyped games that fall flat after they're out, i.e, Breastiny, GTA V, CoDs and BFs (as well as EA sports' games).

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
"Games that sell well are bad."

Oh just put a sock in it already.

"falling flat" doesn't mean it's bad, in its entirety right? Breastiny for example lacks having a decent story and that for me is a reason enough to avoid it.

Uncharted 3's story was absolute shit compared to Uncharted 2 so I got hyped to play it because of U2 'cause if I knew how bad it was I wouldn't even have touched it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Christmas' is coming and they know parents/family members spent a shit ton of money during this season so Nintendo made a smart move to release it later because that's when it's most profitable for any company, especially Nintendo since they target the kiddy/family audience.

That doesn't mean anything if families don't already have the console or aren't interested in the console. Now, let's say a kid has a 3DS. Families probably aren't going to be all that motivated to buy the console for a single game their child likely already owns. Even if the kid doesn't have Smash Bros. 3DS, which is more likely: the parents buy a brand new console and Smash, or they buy Smash for the console their kid already owns?

If Nintendo put Smash on the Wii U first and released it during the Holiday season, that'd at least make some semblance of sense.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

9GnnM5j.jpg

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
That doesn't mean anything if families don't already have the console or aren't interested in the console. Now, let's say a kid has a 3DS. Families probably aren't going to be all that motivated to buy the console for a single game their child likely already owns. Even if the kid doesn't have Smash Bros. 3DS, which is more likely: the parents buy a brand new console and Smash, or they buy Smash for the console their kid already owns?

You're underestimating the amount of rich parents who're willing to buy a console even for only one game because don't forget that Christmas is the most lucrative season of the entire year so Super Smash Bros. for Wii U alongside Pokémon OR/AS they'll be selling like hotcakes, whether it's John Lewis, GAME, GameStop, Selfridges, HMV, Tesco, Argos or a different retailer they'll most likely have a hard time keeping stock of both games for too long during this season.

I didn't forget Watch Dogs or Sonic Boom which will be coming out around the same time, but simply because no one's going to be buying either and so they'll sell like shit Sonic's going to literally boom in sales as well as WD (I wouldn't be surprised if UbiSoft came out and said that they wouldn't release any more Ubi titles due to the poor WD sales).

If Nintendo wanted to maximise their sales then they'd have the New 3DS out in Europe/UK by Christmas too.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You're underestimating the amount of rich parents who're willing to buy a console even for only one game because don't forget that Christmas is the most lucrative season of the entire year so Super Smash Bros. for Wii U alongside Pokémon OR/AS they'll be selling like hotcakes, whether it's John Lewis, GAME, GameStop, Selfridges, HMV, Tesco, Argos or a different retailer they'll most likely have a hard time keeping stock of both games for too long during this season.

I didn't forget Watch Dogs or Sonic Boom which will be coming out around the same time, but simply because no one's going to be buying either and so they'll sell like shit Sonic's going to literally boom in sales as well as WD (I wouldn't be surprised if UbiSoft came out and said that they wouldn't release any more Ubi titles due to the poor WD sales).

If Nintendo wanted to maximise their sales then they'd have the New 3DS out in Europe/UK by Christmas too.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ogs-is-the-last-mature-game-planned-for-wii-u
They already did.

Also I think you overestimate the pull of Smash Bros. Of course there will be people who will buy a WiiU for the game, but Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros typically sell quite a bit more. Those are already released and didn't really "save" the system AFAIK.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amibo will have some influence on people wanting to buy the Wii U version. And I think Nintendo will be moving even more copies of Smash Bros. for 3DS when the New 3DS comes out with Amibo compatibility.

edit: Amibo craze coming soon. Gotta catch 'em all! Buy the hard to find figures and sell them for 3 times as much on ebay.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I just dont get why SSB is not on your "overhyped games" list...

I'm hyped to get my own copy of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (another poorly chosen title by Nintendo) but if you compare it to the big overhyped games like Titanfall, GTA V, Destiny, Watch Dogs and The Last of Us it just doesn't quite compete with any of them.

Despite that, it'll probably sell a 2-3 million copies like Mario Kart 8 did.

I know but once they announce that Watch Dogs sold extremely low on the Wii U that'll be the final nail in the coffin to releasing games on the system. UbiSoft isn't releasing any of the DLC for the Wii U version so it shows how much they support the platform.

Also I think you overestimate the pull of Smash Bros. Of course there will be people who will buy a WiiU for the game, but Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros typically sell quite a bit more. Those are already released and didn't really "save" the system AFAIK.

There'll certainly be people who'll buy the Wii U for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U during Christmas plus including how popular the series is, it's illogical to think it'd sell less than a million copies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    Veho @ Veho: Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.