Gaming Super Mario World on VC?

SlCKB0Y

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys,

So I updated my emunand to 8.x today and finally got on the eshop.

Whilst looking at virtual console titles I clicked on Super Mario Bros 3, then went to reviews and scrolled to the bottom where it lists what other people purchased and I can see Super Mario World:

smwvc.png

But when I click on it it fails:

smwvc-fail.png

Does anyone have any information on this?

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
like I said in another thread, why did Nintendo themed the ABXY button colors like the SNES? Isn't it obvious?

SNES VC Confirmed exclusively for New 3DS only, due to higher CPU speed it can run SNES tittles now.

Snes.png

Maybe the western version will have purple buttons.

SlCKB0Y

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
like I said in another thread, why did Nintendo themed the ABXY button colors like the SNES? Isn't it obvious?

SNES VC Confirmed exclusively for New 3DS only, due to higher CPU speed it can run SNES tittles now.

View attachment 10072

Maybe the western version will have purple buttons.

Oh man.... That makes me want one! By the way the pal snes released in Europe and Australia also had the coloured buttons...

Reactions: signz

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh man.... That makes me want one! By the way the pal snes released in Europe and Australia also had the coloured buttons...

Good to know, thanks!

So there is still hope, I prefer th coloured buttons than the purple ones, them are ok, but a bit dull in my opinion.

SlCKB0Y

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Not a mistake as such, though it should be clearer which platform each game is avalable on.

Well that's strange since it is literally the only non 3ds vc title listed for me in the whole 3ds virtual console section, and it's icon is broken as is the link. :wacko:

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
exclusively for New 3DS only, due to higher CPU speed it can run SNES tittles now.

No.

The GBA can emulate SNES. Stop talking nonsense.
There is no way to tell if this is for 3DS, New 3DS or Wii U (if the case is that the eshops are connected).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No.

There is no way to tell if this is for 3DS, New 3DS or Wii U (if the case is that the eshops are connected).
Yes, but can it achieve perfect emulation? Because that's basically what Nintendo requires in order for a VC game to be released.

Reactions: endoverend

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.

Yes, at a whopping 10 fps lol. More CPU power is needed for full speed and audio emulation; AFAIK, the GBA version of PocketSNES didn't run very well as was more of a proof of concept than anything. The new 3DS model however, might just be the answer to that.

SlCKB0Y

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, but can it achieve perfect emulation? Because that's basically what Nintendo requires in order for a VC game to be released.

Sorry but this is rubbish. VC emulation of nes games is pretty glitchy. On SMB3 I get artefacts and scrolling issues and last night on the last level of SMB I got hit by a totally invisible flame from bowser. Both also exhibit flickering sprites. VC emulation is fast but it is far from accurate.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but this is rubbish. VC emulation of nes games is pretty glitchy. On SMB3 I get artefacts and scrolling issues and last night on the last level of SMB I got hit by a totally invisible flame from bowser. Both also exhibit flickering sprites. VC emulation is fast but it is far from accurate.

Nestopia on RetroArch, at least on the Wii, focuses on high accuracy and high speed, far better emulation. Nintendo doesn't focus their emulators on accuracy but heavily reliant on speed, but accuracy is low priority.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Huh, it is? I was under the impression Ninty wanted it to work properly and I haven't had any issues with VC games myself. Also the original games were not exactly perfect, with flickering being one of the things that NES games tended to do, so are you sure it's the emulator that's at fault?

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

I can explain the artifacts but I would not say it's inaccurate, it's actually quite the opposite.

NES games are always 256x240 in resolution, Nintendo stretches them to 284x240 to match the different pixel aspect ratio between a NES and a 3DS, but there is no filtering which means you get scrolling artifacts and the like... or if there is filtering it's not doing much if you spotted artifacts.

As for the other issues, like Arras said NES games tend to flicker a lot, the invisible flame also sounds like something that would happen but I wouldn't know about that. But Nintendo most of the time sticks with what's most accurate, see the lighting in GBA VC games or when they release 50Hz versions of games, additionally Nintendo patches the roms in some cases to remove, reduce stuff so to anyone else it might seem like inaccurate emulation when it's not, see Zelda ALttP, I can confirm what's in the link by injecting a clean rom into the VC emu and seeing all the effects emulated correctly.

Reactions: VMM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.