Homebrew Super Mario rpg?

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I hope it will be possible as well, but i doubt it.
i don't think they can emulate the Chip that was in the original cartridge so well on the DS. but i hope they will make it possible, maybe by using a RAM pak that it extracts a patch/program that emulates the chip, every time you start that game.. but i don't know..

Anti

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to get a copy of super mario rpg and rip out the chip and copy the data into a playable file?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope it will be possible as well, but i doubt it.
i don't think they can emulate the Chip that was in the original cartridge so well on the DS. but i hope they will make it possible, maybe by using a RAM pak that it extracts a patch/program that emulates the chip, every time you start that game.. but i don't know..

It is possible, it'll just be a very long, painstaking task. Any chip for the SNES games can be emulated really, it's just that the developers of these emulators don't want to have to deal with the hassle, so they just say "it's impossible" and leave it at that, making people think it's not possible.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah , I figured it had to do something about that too.. but I wasn't sure, but yeah, if they put enough work into it, i'm sure they could accomplish something like that on the DS.
but as you said, it would be quite a hassle for just one game, but thats, one REALLY good game.. ( or is it the same chip as in other games? like Mode 7 style games-DKC series , starfox and such? , super FX chip, right?)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That doesn't really make any sense. Even if it did, slot-2 RAM is too slow to be used for anything other than storing static data that does not change. Using it like the DS's main RAM would slow things down considerably.

It is possible, it'll just be a very long, painstaking task. Any chip for the SNES games can be emulated really, it's just that the developers of these emulators don't want to have to deal with the hassle, so they just say "it's impossible" and leave it at that, making people think it's not possible.

When people say "it's impossible" they usually mean "it's impossible to play it on the DS because the chip is not emulated yet." I haven't seen very many instances of "the chip is impossible to emulate" at all. Sure, if one spent enough time working on it, they might be able to get it working. However, keep in mind that this SA-1 chip is 3 times faster than the SNES's CPU itself. In addition, I highly doubt it would work without the use of a full software renderer, which would further slow things down to a crawl. All SNES emulators for the GBA and DS use hardware emulation, which reduces graphical accuracy but greatly improves speed, but the SA-1 chip likely does things the DS hardware simply can't replicate easily, so everything would have to be done in software. If you've ever used v0.4a of jEnesisDS, compare the HW renderer build with the SW renderer build. It will give you a rough idea of what I'm talking about (though the HW renderer is more accurate than the SNES emus for the DS are).

It's one of my all-time favorite games as well, but I don't think I'd be able to put up with playing the game at 30% speed. Heck, even with the speedhacks I created, the game requires frameskip to run at full on the PSP, which is much more powerful than the DS could hope to be. It uses a software renderer, just for the record.

QUOTE(noONE @ Jan 16 2008, 05:03 PM)but as you said, it would be quite a hassle for just one game, but thats, one REALLY good game.. ( or is it the same chip as in other games? like Mode 7 style games-DKC series , starfox and such? , super FX chip, right?)
More than one game uses the SA-1 chip. Others include Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby Super Star. See http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_games_with_special_chips for a more complete listing.

EDIT: The DKC games do not use any coprocessor chips, and so they are able to be emulated in SNEmulDS. Personally I think they're some of the most playable SNES games on the DS, but that's just my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool