ROM Hack Suikoden Tierkreis Undub Infos here

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really don't see the problem all of you have with the dub ...

well i don't really like the dub as well (i never heard any good english dub at all) but well its not as if it makes the game unplayable.

I am German and i still understand everything without a problem ... so i especially cannot understand the ppl saying "the main chara talks so freaking fast" ... i think its ok ...

Only thing that annoys me completely is that dub and sub does not go together, at least german text with english dub ... they sometimes say completely different things as what is written in the text box -.-V
Worst ever is that they changed names so dub and sub gives different names like Koga? is called Puma in German (it the only change i remember right now)

AshenPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Youkai@ I find it interesting to do this, and I'm having fun trying to get it to work ^^

Enarky@ I'm fixing it so the right ppl are saying their lines, but there will be pages without voices since in the e version what was one page of text/voice clip in the jap release was cut into two pages of text/voice clips for the western localization, so when moving over the jap sounds you get 2 pages of text and two pointers to voice clips, but now you only have 1 voiceclip.

Ruri@ I would prefer having mute pages since nothing is really missing that way, since the jap voice clips that is causing the out of syncs is covering the text on both pages, and I do know enough spoken japanese to understand what's said, atleast enough to find it annoying if lines were repeated or out of place ^^ Well, I still need to find some good pointer to use instead for those places since the pointer I'm using now is muting more than intended.
frown.gif

0004h seems to be the File Length, gonna see what happens if I change that when adding things instead of deleting stuff elsewhere
ohmy.gif

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi
yep 0x4 is the filesize but without the header size

EDIT: And i´m thinking since the values in ds_data_hed.sdat increases
that for example 8b0066 is the file 100 in the ds_data_vow 8b0067 is 101 and so on

QUOTE said:
00000911 8B 00 66 8B 00 67 8B 00 68 8B 00 69 8B 00 6A
and so on (it´s not everytime like that sometimes it jumps for example to 8C 00 6A or whatever)

AshenPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nIxx@ Using your tool and running the files through strm2wav (by loveemu) got me ~90 wav files. As Ruri said setting the pointers to 000000 will play the opening song, which IS the first file in the sdat (File_0 with your apps naming). Gonna try and get one of the other files to play by choice. Most likely you are right though

toukairin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
toukairin said:
in my case, after the beginning of the game, when you want to go to eastern hill, well the game freezes in battle! how could this be???
can anybody please help?

I'm using R4 firmware 1.18...

Hisiru

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
@Youkai
i really dont care about the guy who talks fast or something like that, i just like the pronounced of japanese voices ^^... the game has text in english... so the voices in english is not necessary for me.

sinbatsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It really is 10 files!
If you compare both files, the different is ended at 19D0.
The last events that have extra lines are quests from the three empresses, each have extra lines.
So far Tehah Village events still fine using the (J).

I'm not really sure where's the end of speech, I guess it's around 3FEO, because if it's after that, the intro will not play.
And it only duplicate the repeated lines, I tried to use silence, but sometimes the result is wrong lines.

EDIT:Playing (E) around 20hours, at Cragbark there's another desync, maybe it's just me.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
enarky said:
Are you currently only playing around with inserting pointers or are you also aligning all the other pointers to point to correct locations?
Inserting additional pointers causes the later pointers to point to correct locations, as long as we do it right. For instance, because there is a difference of one voice-clip in the Castle Naming scene, if we duplicate an extra pointer (or insert one that plays nothing if we can manage that, or whatever), then everything after that will align properly again. The hard part is just finding the right places to insert all the pointers.

Matsu One

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hahaha, great job everyone for managing to fix the individual desyncs. I actually donwloaded a hex-editor and tried to take a look and fiddle with it myself. LOL, that was... unproductive. ):

Where would I begin?

I was poking around in the ds_data_hed.sdat, trying to look for familiar pointers everyone mentioned... but sadly I was just too overwhelmed. I have no idea what I'm looking at )=

DarkSunDS

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So, the "fix" for the undub is making characters repeat themselves? Wouldn't modifying the Japanese version be a better idea, as the battle voices would be included as well? I don't like the idea of hearing the same voice clip twice, it would clearly be noticeable, whether it's in Japanese, English, or any other language.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkSunDS said:
So, the "fix" for the undub is making characters repeat themselves? Wouldn't modifying the Japanese version be a better idea, as the battle voices would be included as well? I don't like the idea of hearing the same voice clip twice, it would clearly be noticeable, whether it's in Japanese, English, or any other language.
Well, although working with the Japanese version will let you hear voices in combat, it won't directly solve the "characters repeat themselves" problem -- the English text and the Japanese voices still won't line up unless you insert silences or repeats.

xiuide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think, and keep in mind this is a personal preference, that silence wouldnt be so bad. you acually see that in some games, where the character may finish talking before the user finishes reading. I think it would more resemble that, than aburptly cutting off voices.

gukid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had a bit of a thought, about the process you guys are going through to fix this.

What you're editing is the actual sound table, basically the text points to a reference in the sound table, and the program goes to that sound part and plays it. Because new lines of text were added, new lines were also added in the US sound table, and that's why using the Japanese table makes all of the text screw up.

So I wonder, if instead of modifying the sound table, you could get access to the script, which is store in one of the many .bin files, which may have the entire script, as well as the pointers to the correct location in the sound table. Going this route, you could load up the english script, and the japanese script side by side, and just copy and paste the appropriate changes. As well, anywhere there is new text that you need to fit in somewhere, you could just point to a blank sound pointer (unless there was some way of having the same sound file play over 2 textboxes, which some other games do, but the program probably won't be capable of this.)

So that's just my suggestion, for the moment. And I'll be glad to try and look into it and help out as well.

I was also thinking, if we're looking at the text anyway, I'd also be interested in creating a "silent protagonist" version of the game, if I can get a script editor. All the other Suikodens had silent protagonists, and it seems Konami picked the most annoying one to start giving a voice to...

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Just a question concerning the voice-overs. Does anyone know if each individual voice file has a reference to the playback frequency for which they play at, or are they all the same and that frequency value resides internally? If it is the former, perhaps editing that value for the main character's voice files could help. Sure, by lowering the frequency, the main character would end up having a deeper voice, but perhaps just altering it a little so he isn't talking so fast could make it bearable for people who don't mind the other characters.

Either that, or do what gukid suggests, and just silence him out completely.
tongue.gif

gukid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I don't want to just silence his voice, but remove his dialogue entirely
tongue.gif
The character is supposed to be the player, and his actions just interpreted without being spoken, much like how it was in Suikoden 1 & 2, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, any Dragon Quest game, Earthbound, Mother 3, Zelda, etc. etc.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gah! No offense, but I can't believe there's actually someone who likes silent protagonists. I've always hated it, and I thought it was one of the few flaws in all the games you mentioned -- they had wooden, uninteresting protagonists despite otherwise interesting casts, because the authors stupidly decided that players could never empathize with someone who talked.

Give me an interesting protagonist who can talk, and I'll be much, much more likely to put myself in their shoes then some faceless cipher. The faceless protagonist is a nobody, an utterly boring nonentity who adds nothing to his game. They hurt immersion just by being there. They are terrible, terrible things, and the fact that game authors continue to use them shows that at least some of the people involved in the creation of even otherwise good games are, at heart, incompetent hacks who succeed at other things by accident. It is just that bad of an idea.

Mind you, I can understand why you might prefer it to Suikoden Tierkreis, where we got the worst of both worlds -- a character who talks and is still a faceless generic Shonen-anime protagonist. But look at Dragon Warrior 4 -- it's an amazing game, with fun and interesting characters. You keep getting a new main character, each more fun and interesting than the last... until you get to your final, 'real' protagonist, who is a stupid walking Golem with no lines at all. Then all the dialog falls apart and becomes boring dreck, because it now has to revolve around someone who the writers didn't bother to put any effort into.

Silent protagonists are a terrible, terrible idea, and the only thing worse than one of them is a protagonist who talks and is annoying.

sinbatsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So far the rest is fine, around 50 hours gameplay when visit Cynas for 2nd time.
Here's the link, if someone can make the duplicated voices silence, it'll better.

http://www.mediafire.com/?byzxm42jzwd

There's also note about offset of duplicated voices there.
If someone have further progress, please test it.
Thank You.

gukid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sinbatsu: Nice work! I'll give it a try here and let you know if I find anything wrong.

You should also mention though, that this is the _hed.sdat file in the root, and not the one in ex1, just in case someone tries to replace both and breaks the game.

Also, if anyones interested still, I had made a new font for the game and it was buried, so if you're gonna try the undub, give my font a try as well!

http://www.gukid.com/storage/gd_sysfont_jp.nftr

and Ruri: each to their own I guess. I suppose what I always appreciated about the silent protagonist, is that when I put my name as the character that I'm playing, that this particular character won't be putting words in my mouth the entire game. There's definitely a right and a wrong way to do it though, where in some stories your character really is a mute and doesn't contribute to the dialogue at all, or where your characters lines are assumed in the dialog, and every once in a while some other character will ask a simple yes/no question to try and make you feel a little more a part of it... take Animal Crossing for example, as a game where I feel that having your represented character having his/her own lines would probably hurt the experience, more than help it. Especially given the way the game works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.