Hacking Stuff that we can do with GWs launcher.dat without actually owning the GW

• Thread starter d0k3
  • Start date
  • Views 3,649
  • Replies 21
  • Likes 2

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wondered what stuff is actually possible with GWs launcher.dat (currently v3.2.1) if you don't own the GW card. Here's the list of features, with my remarks, updated with the information from this thread:
  • Boot Gateway Mode - doesn't work
  • Boot Classic Mode - doesn't work (may work below FW 7.x, but it's still useless)
  • Backup System NAND - confirmed working
  • Backup 3DS Game Cartridge - confirmed working (even backing up the rom from SKY3DS!)
  • Backup 3DS Savegame - working (not with SKY3DS and CARD2 games, better options available)
  • Restore 3DS Savegame - working (see entry above)
  • Diagnostic Test - working (shows failures because of missing GW, will delete the current game cart's save)
  • Format EmuNAND - working (but very useless, needs GW/Classic Mode to boot)
  • Install NVRAM - working (also useless)
  • Downgrade Console - working (don't try on N3DS, useful for O3DS users, see this guide)
So, can you add anything?

Last edited by d0k3,

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Backup 3DS Savegame - YUS
  • Restore 3DS Savegame - YUS
  • Diagnostic Test - Needs gw card
  • Format EmuNAND - YUS
  • Install NVRAM - YUS
  • Downgrade Console - YUS
Every one of those except the diagnostic test works without the gateway card inserted, Obviously you cant use emunand without the gw card and the nvram install is again useless without it too but each of them work.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  • Backup 3DS Savegame - YUS
  • Restore 3DS Savegame - YUS
  • Diagnostic Test - Needs gw card
  • Format EmuNAND - YUS
  • Install NVRAM - YUS
  • Downgrade Console - YUS
Every one of those except the diagnostic test works without the gateway card inserted, Obviously you cant use emunand without the gw card and the nvram install is again useless without it too but each of them work.

What does YUS mean? And, did you test it? Backup/restore of savegames only works with retail carts, I guess. And stuff in diagnostics fails because no GW card is detected.

Also, it seems there is little use for non GW users for everything except backup / restore savegames, correct?

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does YUS mean? And, did you test it? Backup/restore of savegames only works with retail carts, I guess. And stuff in diagnostics fails because no GW card is detected.

Also, it seems there is little use for non GW users for everything except backup / restore savegames, correct?
Ive been using the gw menu for quite awhile now and have used every option, so yes I have tested and know what does and doesn't work. the backup and restore of save games via gateway does work, but only for games that use the 128 kb save size If I remember correctly, so sdf and pasta or ntr and ntr save game manager are the way to go in that aspect.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
just a word of warning, if you run diagnostics with a retail card in it will wipe your save :P

but basically you can use anything except booting into gateway mode....also classic mode will work but only if your on a sysnand/emunand of 7.x or lower
Ive been using the gw menu for quite awhile now and have used every option, so yes I have tested and know what does and doesn't work. the backup and restore of save games via gateway does work, but only for games that use the 128 kb save size If I remember correctly, so sdf and pasta or ntr and ntr save game manager are the way to go in that aspect.
nope the backup and restore saves feature will work with any retail card save 's except card2 games (pokemon ,animal crossing etc)...also 6.x encrypted saves can only be restored to the cart they where dumped from....but really you are correct pasta with SDF or NTR with the save plugin are much better options and will work with any game and can restore saves from other peoples carts not just their own

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Gateway mode requires a Gateway. Classic mode works only with older firmwares if you don't have one. Diagnostic Test is useful to wipe your save on retail cartriges I think... Everything else works with or without a Gateway.
How are you supposed to backup the save of a game with the Gateway cart inserted anyway? :P

Last edited by nastys,
D

Deleted User

You don't need any cart to enter Gateway mode. But you do need a 9.2 or below system, which I'm pretty sure you don't from your recent posts.
Nope. But I think I have a friend who does, I just want to back up my cartridge games.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
lmao I don't even really know how the GW launcher thing works.
Okay... Two methods. The one that doesn't require a cart would be to go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com/ on his 3DS's browser. That opens up Gateway menu (assuming of course that he is using an old 3DS and it's 9.2 or below firmware).

Reactions: Deleted User

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Oh, alright.
Jesus, I don't know why I didn't know that until just now.
If your system is above that then you have no real reason to know. But yeah if you're sure that your friend's is in a good firmware, then have at it. Hell, if he doesn't know about Gateway, see about trading systems haha.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome