j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
I ripped my PAL version of Year of the Dragon which includes the subchannel etc etc.
It works perfect in epsxe and I've copied over my savefiles from my real PS1 over to the PSP and epsxe.
As you may not know, this is one of those games that had copy protection back in the day, and would freeze in later levels if it doesn't read the subchannel. Many European PS1 games are like this.

Anyway, apparently POPS on the PSP doesn't support subchannels, so I'm stuck relying on old PPF patches like Paradox/Bad etc to make it not freeze up in my save file.

But every PPF patch I try (only 2 I could find for the PAL version), both just freezes right at the insomniac logo.

Is there really no way to get subchannels working on POPS? I don't want to get a NTSC version as I'll lose my save files. Or there a PPF patch that, god forbid actually works?

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
I ended up downloading a PAL rip of Spyro 3, now it actually gets past the insomniac logo, but it still crashes as if the PPF file did nothing at all.
Bloody hell WHY does POPS have to not support subchannels...

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend downloading the game's pkg from an official psn link and extracting that pkg using PSN PKG Decryptor & Extractor and copying the extracted folder to your PSPs game folder. You don't have to do anything special either just be sure you copy the folder correctly to your PSP's game folder.

Last edited by Vanth88,

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'd recommend downloading the game's pkg from the official psn link and extracting the pkg using PSN PKG Decryptor & Extractor and putting the extracted folder in your PSPs game folder. You don't have to do anything special either just be sure you copy the folder correctly to your PSP's game folder.
Yeah the only PS1 Classic I have is Medievil, and glad I got it when I did because the store no longer works on the PSP.
I'm converting it again with another PPF patch, hopefully it works otherwise I gotta dig online for an obscure PAL PSN copy.

EDIT: It looks like sony never made a digital PAL version and just released the American version here...
Y7Hdrzr.png

Last edited by Kippykip,

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the only PS1 Classic I have is Medievil, and glad I got it when I did because the store no longer works on the PSP.
I'm converting it again with another PPF patch, hopefully it works otherwise I gotta dig online for an obscure PAL PSN copy.

Why bother with PAL games at all? The PSP runs it's LCD at 60Hz like any portable so using the NTSC versions would make more sense.
it would have been faster to grab a North American PSN version of Spyro 3 that is guaranteed to not have any copy protection issues later on.

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Why bother with PAL games at all? The PSP runs it's LCD at 60Hz like any portable so using the NTSC versions would make more sense.
it would have been faster to grab a North American PSN version of Spyro 3 that is guaranteed to not have any copy protection issues later on.
I have a PAL version because I'm in Australia. So all my physical PS1 games are PAL.
And I said I don't want a NTSC version as I want my Spyro 3 Savegames transfered from my PS1 memory card>PS3>PSP or vice versa.
The NTSC version of games don't read savegames from the PAL versions.

Lordjontan

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Just remember that Paradox patch is broken, you can play the game but several glitches will appear like lost all your progress

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just remember that Paradox patch is broken, you can play the game but several glitches will appear like lost all your progress

didn't Paradox release a second patch that corrected those issues? If not POPs tricks the copy protection into not working anyway.
I know this because I 100%ed Spyro 3 (NTSC) using a Paradox patched one via POPs on PSP before switching to the NA PSN version.

Lordjontan

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
didn't Paradox release a second patch that corrected those issues? If not POPs tricks the copy protection into not working anyway.
I know this because I 100%ed Spyro 3 (NTSC) using a Paradox patched one via POPs on PSP before switching to the NA PSN version.
I tried the second and "perfect" Paradox patch and it didn't work, apparently only works on a real Psx .
Otherwise the ntsc versión works perfect even without any patch because the "tricky" protection is only in the Pal release

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
I tried the second and "perfect" Paradox patch and it didn't work, apparently only works on a real Psx .
Otherwise the ntsc versión works perfect even without any patch because the "tricky" protection is only in the Pal release
I'm using the "perfect" patch one and so far it's the only way I've gotten my save file to load without freezing on the PSP. Testing the Paradox patch in PCSXR/EPSXE crashes it.
Is there an easy way to find out whether it's gonna delete my eggs etc?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeaZWBrG__s