Hacking Strange numbers in SD2Vita storage

Carlos_DobleC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
A few days ago I got my SD2Vita and my 200gb SD card, everything worked fine except that I noticed a strange error, depending on whether I read the card (in the PC, in Vitashell or in Adrenaline), the amount of Free space available varies drastically.

Here I leave some screenshots in case someone knows what the problem is:

PC
a5bc6994d4ad0419a1900c24a2fe77a4.png

Vitashell
dQkeRGc.jpg

Adrenaline
21HyZq6.jpg

MUDD_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's really weird. On vitashell and adrenaline the free size is the same, on pc you have almost more 40 gb lol.

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
When I can I will make a backup copy and I will format the card again in exFat, to see if this way the problem is fixed
U ain't got no problem. Vitashell and Adrenaline shows the same number.
Windows must be showing you 40 gb of system stuff (wow that's a lot of wasted space xD).

Carlos_DobleC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
After having formatted now I have 10gb more of occupied space, and windows keeps telling me that I have 50 and little (20 in PSPemu and 30 in APP)

Drieks

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Did you ever manage to solve this issue? Mine has 36 gigs of system use...
I'm also using a 200 gb card.

Last edited by Drieks,
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I had the same issue.

Microsd's 200GB and larger need to be formatted with an allocation unit size of '64k' not 'default' under windows, otherwise vitashell/adrenaline will show more usage/less free space than there really is (windows reported correct usage).
https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/6u9ai2/sd2vita_incorrect_free_space_solution_fix/

That solved the issue for me and quite a few others at least :)
'default' allocation unit size worked fine on my 128GB card, but I had this issue when I moved to a 200GB microsd.

Did you ever manage to solve this issue? Mine has 36 gigs of system use...
I'm also using a 200 gb card.

If the reported free space on vita/pc matches and you're just not sure where the data is being used, connect to a PC either with vitashell USB mode or a card reader and run something like treesize free to see exactly what is taking up the space.

Last edited by Count Duckula,

Drieks

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I had the same issue.

Microsd's 200GB and larger need to be formatted with an allocation unit size of '64k' not 'default' under windows, otherwise vitashell/adrenaline will show more usage/less free space than there really is (windows reported correct usage).

'default' allocation unit size worked fine on my 128GB card, but I had this issue when I moved to a 200GB microsd.

If the reported free space on vita/pc matches and you're just not sure where the data is being used, connect to a PC either with vitashell USB mode or a card reader and run something like treesize free to see exactly what is taking up the space.

Thanks for this fix! I ended up fixing it in another (less effective) way though.

I created a 142 gb (that’s the amount of space that was available in Windows) dummy file, transfered that to the vita and then deleted the file through vitashell. :’)

Now there is still 1 gb of system use though.

But now i’m wondering if the issue will come back after transfering big files the next time... i’ll report back on that.

Thanks again!

EDIT:
Just tried transfering 20 gb of data. System use went up to 42 gigs...

Going to try your fix now!

EDIT 2:
Formatting with 64k worked perfectly. They should mention this in the tutorials. Thanks!

Last edited by Drieks,

Driley97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same issue.

I am gonna try this for myself. I purchased a 400gb Sandisk microSD card and after downloading only 82gb worth of games, the card said I had about 60gb free and it didn’t seem right. I was trying to download more but saw the low amount of space left so deleted all the download data for the titles that didn’t finish downloading.

Driley97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am gonna try this for myself. I purchased a 400gb Sandisk microSD card and after downloading only 82gb worth of games, the card said I had about 60gb free and it didn’t seem right. I was trying to download more but saw the low amount of space left so deleted all the download data for the titles that didn’t finish downloading.
Alright, I attempted it and it freed up a little more than 30 gigs on 64k allocation, which is still way about 115gb off of what windows is saying I have available on the card. Maybe if I increase the allocation size to 128k it will free up more space. I guess I keep trying to increase the size until it shows that I have the same as what windows says.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe if I increase the allocation size to 128k it will free up more space.
Larger clusters are more wasteful of space, not less (all file sizes are rounded up to the next higher amount of clusters), and the different used spaces may in fact be the difference between "sum of actual file sizes" and "space not usable for new files"

Driley97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question: where did you get your memory card, and are you sure it's legit? Differing space amounts like that can indicate a fake card.
I got it off of amazon, and it wasn’t from a third party seller. I finally found the allocation size that what my vita says is free matches what my vita says is free. It was at 1024k if I remember correctly. The 400gb Sandisk Card is 366gb when formated by an operating system and completely empty

Reactions: eighthdayregret

eighthdayregret

fnerrrrrrrrrr!
Trophies
Website
eighthsregrets.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I got it off of amazon, and it wasn’t from a third party seller. I finally found the allocation size that what my vita says is free matches what my vita says is free. It was at 1024k if I remember correctly. The 400gb Sandisk Card is 366gb when formated by an operating system and completely empty
Glad to hear it. I just wanted to check, since my SD2Vita was how I figured out that a 64GB microSD I'd had for years was bunk.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards