Review Sterling's The Legend of Zelda OoT 3D Review

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
SSFV? That isn't anywhere close to OoT. I can guarantee you that. I did a side by side with the GS demo version of SSFV. Nintendo weren't in charge of the remake either, Grezzo was. They didn't just update the textures, they also did the water effects, and small things like the particle effects from Ghost Ganondorf's energy ball. Hell, the game even runs at a CONSTANT frame rate. Something that was annoying even on the original hardware.

Um, am I supposed to be impressed at the 3DS running at a better framerate than the N64?

A few particle effects and some water effects don't excuse the bland textures and the fact that the game still looks average in terms of graphics. The overall package is disappointing for eye candy.

QUOTE(Sterling @ Jun 23 2011, 01:13 AM) ALSO: PK goddammit, you removed the comma in the title, you grammar nazi!!

That was me
wink.gif

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Sterling said:
Goli said:
Yeah, too bad most textures still look like crap after the update ):.
If you're referring to the ropes and wooden fences, yes. Everything else, no.
I mean everything but the characters.
Also, it wasn't PK. Also, this post was here before Guild edited his post above. But you can't tell because his magical powers hide the time it was edited.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Goli: Yes, Guild just cleared that up. Erm, even the characters still have slightly blocky hands. The textures I guess aren't much improved, but the detail of the environment have been.

@Guild: Hold on just a sec... Goddammit Guild, you grammar NAZI!! *Ahem* I guess so, but the game is indeed much more playable than the original release. Much more detail, and better lighting and such.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
@Guild: Hold on just a sec... Goddammit Guild, you grammar NAZI!! *Ahem* I guess so, but the game is indeed much more playable than the original release. Much more detail, and better lighting and such.

Technically Goli asked if someone could and I answered the call
wink.gif

Not related to graphics but I saw you gave a score for a lack of glitches and "technical gremlins". That seems kinda silly since it's pretty much a given that a game shouldn't have glitches. I don't think we should be giving a round of applause for a dev doing something that they're supposed to.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well technically the dev job is to make a good game over all, so the whole review is silly.
wink.gif

Also it not a disappointment in eye candy, just not the best of the system.

Oh and some people keep saying you shouldn't be impress,but they could have just port it like it is expect remaking it.
tongue.gif

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uncle FEFL said:
So much talk over graphics --who, honestly, gives a fuck? From everything I've seen, it looks beautiful. Some people should stop being nitpicky, I think.
Eh, it's their call.

@Guild: That's my review format. Gameplay, Graphics, Story, Glitches and Tech Gremlins, Lasting Appeal. 5 categories, with 10 possible points for 50. Each one affects the other. I give the no BS score and my Score. Which I seemed to have forgotten here.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I heard you changed Graphics rating from 10/10 to 8/10? Why? Cuz people said so? YOU are the reviewer Vir so you shouldn't care about what people say. If they care they can write their own review, simple does it.

Anyways great review. Will get the game today hopefully.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
I heard you changed Graphics rating from 10/10 to 8/10? Why? Cuz people said so? YOU are the reviewer Vir so you shouldn't care about what people say. If they care they can write their own review, simple does it.

agreed

and even then, graphics shouldn't be only judged by it's pixels and how detailed it is
there are games which aren't pixel perfect and still, because of it's style they get a very good point

the lasting appeal isn't 10/10 imo...i mean, a mario game got definately more lasting appeal
however the gameplay is very well-designed and like many ppl, i would agree that it's a 10/10
it's gameplay, ost and atmosphere why most ppl consider it one of the best games ever made
it's unchanged and gameplay can't "age" so a 10/10 would definately go for it, but i guess it's your taste

but as a reviewer, you indeed shouldn't change your score if it's based on other's opinion

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may sounds dumb after all the conversation, but in my opinion, this really deserves a 10/10 in graphics. It's not super insane, but the amounts of details in every house, and the huge field of graphics enhancements is amazing. I'm only at the Fire Temple but still haven't gotten over the graphics. I would definitely say one of the reasons for buying this game would be to see my favorite game of all time renewed with some nice graphics that give me an excuse to beat this game, again. May sound biased, but as with most reviews, they're based on thought out opinions. Well, I liked the review the way it was, but most peoples opinions lead toward an 8/10, so you can leave it there, I will just picture 10/10.
wink.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SamAsh07 said:

+1 It`s a great review but if you change a score after the review was written you should state why...

I for one think it deserves at least 9/10 for graphics, since it improves the original in a way, that everything still feels and looks like OoT. The game hasn`t lost it`s identity this way and I welcome that, even though I can acknowledge that DoA, Street Fighter and Resi are all technically looking miles better! Still a matter of preference after all but like I said I think the game looks magical on the system, especially in 3D! Technically it is a solid 7 for textures and such and the character-models are 9s imo!

But people, we are talking about OoT here... If someone hasn`t played it and is not owning a Wii or a N64 he is owning it to himself to play this game. In it`s core the experience is the same on all those systems...

Also there will always be people who will bash 3DS games simply because they want an excuse for not owning it... Like I`m always bashing the 360 (
frown.gif
Because I want to play Alan Wake badly...)!

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Master Mo said:
+1 It`s a great review but if you change a score after the review was written you should state why...

I for one think it deserves at least 9/10 for graphics, since it improves the original in a way, that everything still feels and looks like OoT. The game hasn`t lost it`s identity this way and I welcome that, even though I can acknowledge that DoA, Street Fighter and Resi are all technically looking miles better! Still a matter of preference after all but like I said I think the game looks magical on the system, especially in 3D! Technically it is a solid 7 for textures and such and the character-models are 9s imo!

But people, we are talking about OoT here... If someone hasn`t played it and is not owning a Wii or a N64 he is owning it to himself to play this game. In it`s core the experience is the same on all those systems...

Also there will always be people who will bash 3DS games simply because they want an excuse for not owning it... Like I`m always bashing the 360 (
frown.gif
Because I want to play Alan Wake badly...)!
I did. I changed it to 8/10 not only because it's not the best looking game on the 3DS, but also because I've recently seen several graphical glitches. They're minor, but they weren't there in the original.

Also, 10/10 for lasting appeal is not from my traditional "tons of stuff to do after the end". Rather it's because of the whole new adventure afterwards. People will let it gather dust after they do everything, but this is one of those games that people will hold on to and come back to. Not just because it's fun, but because it's history.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brandonspikes said:
I'm curious to know what looks better on the 3ds?
For starters, DoA: Dimensions does. Better character models and detailed fight scenery. Apparently MGS: 3D also looks better. My argument is that those are totally different games which demand different styles. Also the fact the Ocarina of Time is also an open world Action Adventure game. I think Bethesda should take a few lessons from Nintendo lol.

D

Deleted User

Sterling said:
brandonspikes said:
I'm curious to know what looks better on the 3ds?
For starters, DoA: Dimensions does. Better character models and detailed fight scenery. Apparently MGS: 3D also looks better. My argument is that those are totally different games which demand different styles. Also the fact the Ocarina of Time is also an open world Action Adventure game. I think Bethesda should take a few lessons from Nintendo lol.
Comparing DOA to Zelda is like comparing... DOA to Zelda,

In my eyes, DOA has crappier animations, and the scenery is nowhere near as colorful.

Also, with MGS, the first screenshots weren't even from the 3ds, so I don't think its fair to judge.

metal-gear-solid-3ds-comparison-1.jpg

metal-gear-solid-3ds-comparison-2.jpg

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sterling said:
I did. I changed it to 8/10 not only because it's not the best looking game on the 3DS, but also because I've recently seen several graphical glitches. They're minor, but they weren't there in the original.
Glitches such as?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
Sterling said:
Glitches such as?
Fish glitching, some minor double imaging on a few enemies (not due to 3D effect), and a Poe floating through a wall while visible. Yea, so nothing really big, but enough to bump it down a point.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My only complaint about this game has been the frame rates. People said the original had FPS problems, however this is worse in a couple of instances where there are a lot of animations. You can trigger a noticeable graphics lag in the Spirit Temple when you fight any of the Iron Knuckle creatures and they smash down two pillars simultaneously. There are a couple of other instances that I recall there being some graphics lag issues, but they weren't as noticeable as this one. Also, the graphics are great but when you have the 3D on you can really notice jaggy textures surrounding characters up close, however the overall art work overhaul and the amount of textures that were added to give the game far more visual depth, everything from towns to the bridge that is created when you get to Ganon's Castle after completing the 5 temples. Everything was greatly improved visually, but the lines around characters in the game at time are jaggy.

I finally got the game completed on normal mode and am going to try and complete Master Quest this time.

D

Deleted User

Sterling said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Sterling said:
Glitches such as?
Fish glitching, some minor double imaging on a few enemies (not due to 3D effect), and a Poe floating through a wall while visible. Yea, so nothing really big, but enough to bump it down a point.
There is no fish glitching, if you mean randomly breaking while on the bait, it happens, and poe's always floated through the walls.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brandonspikes said:
Sterling said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Sterling said:
Glitches such as?
There is no fish glitching, if you mean randomly breaking while on the bait, it happens, and poe's always floated through the walls.
Minor double imaging. There was also some swimming through rocks and one was swimming on land. Also, Poes never floated through walls while visable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night