Steam says goodbye to Steam Greenlight and hello to Steam Direct!

ss_b208def4d78a761118a0a79ed9f9d93992d831c4.600x338.jpg

Steams popular service Steam Greenlight was originally released in 2012 to help smaller indie companies get their game on Steam. However, now Steam will be replacing that service with Steam Direct. This removes the popularity factor of steam Greenlight by allowing developers to simply fill out a form and pay a fee of $100 then submit their game to steam.
:arrow: Source

S

Saiyan Lusitano

> Steam says goodbye to Steam Greenlight

Awesome!

> Steam says hello to Steam Direct

Crap.. got a little too excited for no reason.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted-379826

How did Greenlight work?
Popularity contest. Scroll through the greenlight page, then pick from I'd like to see this game or I'd like to see it but etc. Pretty much if they get a certain amount of popularity they'll get on the store. IIRC

NEO117

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Honestly I'll play probably anything you throw at me and enjoy it. I'm quite easy to please haha.

I'll start working on a game for a couple of days, throw it on steam and spam you the link because FUG U GEIF ME MONEY!

Everyone and their mothers will make a shitty game now and get money for it. Oh joy happy joy.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Oh happy day!!! still going to flood the market with games that are not even worth the space they take up.
idk, some worthless games can be really good...im not complaining by more

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I actually never liked greenlight because it tells me that i need to wait instead of buying it

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then... the time it takes me to browse http://store.steampowered.com/searc...=998&category3=2&os=win&supportedlang=english (list of new Windows games in English that feature single player in descending release order) is about to increase. There's already enough meme crap (and sometimes literally meme poop) games on Steam.
I'll never understand people who say other people can't buy a game that the first person doesn't like.
It's not about not wanting other people to play games that they themselves don't like. It's a lack of quality control. I don't want people to buy a game and find out that it's a piece of garbage (though that isn't as big of a problem with Steam's relatively recent refund policy). At least with Greenlight there's the illusion of the game being good because it was "popular."

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't like Greenlight, the curation/filtering (call it whatever you want) of games sucked, but at least it WAS curation.
What they propose now is to replace that curation by a simple paywall.

I agree with the idea of a paywall. (Also Steam didn't say 100$, they said between 100$ and 5k$)
What you wanna stop are 1. content millers, 2.people who have no idea what they're doing and think they can become rich by putting a crappy game on the store.
The thing is, you can probably stop most of category 2 with a deposit that's say higher than 500$ but you won't stop content millers with a paywall. They can afford to spend cash to flood the store.
And if you make them pay an amount that really matters to them, then you lock out most indie.

What I think is that they should implement that paywall, but they need to add curation on top of that. Greenlight might have been bad, but this is NOT an improvement of it.

Reactions: Jonna

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh happy day!!! still going to flood the market with games that are not even worth the space they take up.

Lol, that is exactly the same thing I was thinking as soon as I read that.

Steam just wants their money and not have to worry about curating quality products and keeping out the crap.

It's a win-win.....for them.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greenlight didn't work; there was still a deluge of shitty games with stock or stolen assets that, half the time, lasted 10 minutes, didn't work, or were of worse quality otherwise than the 8-bit knockoffs you'd get in one of those Chinese 100-in-1 game consoles. Going back to a direct pay-to-sell system works a lot better; now Japanese companies won't force us through the hassle of approving the game through Greenlight as well as a Kickstarter.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Luckily they mostly fixed that problem some time ago with the "popular new releases" function. All the dogshit games get ignored and forgotten.

Reactions: SomecallmeBerto

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
By the way the devs said from 100$ to 5000$ would be fine and Valve doesn't have decided yet what they want to take.
And if anybody here would care to read the actuall source you would know they asked devs what should be the appropriate money you need to spend to get every game/release (not just one fee) into Steam Direct but i guess i expect to much and the text in the OP is pretty misleading ;P.

PS: To get on Greenlight it was already 100$

Last edited by nIxx,

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't greenlight a one time fee of $100 for you to put up as much games on there as you wanted? I think the new direct system requires that fee for every project now, and can go up to 5000 as nlxx said.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt