LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to make a fun little thread about upgrading our gaming rigs. Out of curiosity, what is on the to do list for your machine? My list is below.

Hardware
* 64 GB SSD to hold the Win 10 boot, mostly to boot faster into Steam. I already have my PC skipping the desktop but anything to make booting into Steam shorter than two minutes.
* upgrade from i3 to i5
* find a quieter fan (damn thing is loud :/ )
* new GPU in a year 1/2 (current one does pretty damn well)
* Vynil Steam Stickers for my "console" (right now I have printouts of steam logos and some clear tape lol )

Software
* Find an Android emulator with REAL controller support and not that stupid ass touch area crap. (Really want to get all of my non Nintendo games on one box)

Wishlist
* either Netflix ports their TV app to Windows or I'll find some way to get the Android version to boot from Steam. The Steam web browser can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
With a quite fast sandisk pro ssd, a good ultra fast boot gigabyte motherboard, the strongest gen 6 i5 OCd and 16 gb of ddr4 2133, the best the system can do from power up button to steam's Big picture is about 14 seconds (makes it to Desktop in about 8). Even if that's amazingly streamlined and fast, it's a bummer.

Today's tv's boot up in about 4 to 8 seconds but you still have 5 or so seconds of waiting.

The hog are usually antivirus and graphics drivers. Necesary and slow things.

Edit: Win 10 pro btw, legit and fully updated

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardware?
  • I am planning on hopefully getting a gaming laptop this upcoming February so that is a thing
  • Upgrade the Ram on my current laptop to 12 gigs of good ole DDR3
  • Get a gaming keyboard and mouse for hopefully not too much
Software?
  • Install TrueOS on my lappy to see how it works
  • Find a way to get PS3 controllers to work on my lappy as I am having issues

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My wishlist?

I guess some day upgrading to a DDR4 system with full speed M.2 and U.2 support. And a 4K G-sync monitor. And a Vive, or whatever successor comes after it.

For now I'm happy with my i7-4790K, GTX 980 Ti, 16GB DDR3, 10-12TB of drive space (including 3 SSDs for Windows, Steam and VMs). I only have a 1200p, 1050p monitors and 1080p TV hooked up so 4K would be a definite improvement. But this rig will still last me a few more years.

Sam-

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I got an old gaming laptop a few months ago that I've been trying to fix. It's in working condition now, compared to before when it wouldn't even boot. I still need to buy some replacement parts and upgrade whatever can be upgraded to get the best out of it. Overall, it'll probably cost me as much as buying a new gaming laptop from today, but it's a fun hobby so I think it's worth it. Off the top of my head, my to-do list looks something like:

♦ Upgrade the CPU.

♦ Upgrade the RAM.

♦ Upgrade the GPU.

♦ Upgrade the wireless card.

♦ Replace a broken USB port.

♦ Replace mouse pad.

♦ Replace keyboard.

♦ Replace housing.

♦ Add a media bar.

♦ Add an SSD and move the HDD to the second slot.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Step 1: Get a matching set of monitors. That necessitates being able to move my tv and Wii u off my desk though.

Step 2: Build a new system from scratch that's perfectly silent. This is a very low priority task, as my system with a FX-8350 and 2x R9 290s is already speedy.

Step 3: Get a Windows Continuum phone and a lapdock for it. I'm waiting on cheaper hardware and a more fleshed out mobile OS however.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've always been kind to @AncientBoi +1