Hardware Steam Controller, Worth It???

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sitting here, in Big Picture mode, looking at the gyro control demo for the Steam Controller. I could really see myself using the gyro controls for shooters and racers but is this controller worth it? Right now I'm using two wireless 360 controllers and they do their job perfectly. I also have a lot of controller enabled games that were released long before the Steam Controller. Is this controller basically plug and play or will I be spending nearly a month the to configure controls for all of my games? I would love to get as much input as possible from anyone here with a Steam Controller. :)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you play rts games or stuff that actually needs a mouse to use, I would say no. Its terrible for shooters, racing games, etc...

Reactions: jpx86

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The controller is plug and play, but you generally have to adjust controls for just about every game you want to try mainly because the touchpad "analog" sticks are so touchy on their own. Steam does have the luxury of providing 3 different default profiles, one for xinput controls, one for "precision mouse" controls where the right pad is used as a mouse and the rest are used as controller buttons and then KB/M mode where you can map KB/M to the controller. You can also download profiles from other users who've adjusted controls themselves.

But if you already own various controllers, there's absolutely no reason to get one. I got one myself and, for the most part I don't use it unless I want to be lazy and play Factorio on a TV or something.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can't tell how it is, I use ps4 controller just for a game like fifa or gta v, it's probably useless for most games especially fps. I think it isn't worth. It's up to you.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought one when it was half-price on Amazon. Some games don't like it at all, but most of them I can just download the most popular community input profile and be done with it. Honestly I can't imagine using any other controller - the games that don't play nice with it are games that need a real keyboard and mouse, anyways.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought one when it was half-price on Amazon. Some games don't like it at all, but most of them I can just download the most popular community input profile and be done with it. Honestly I can't imagine using any other controller - the games that don't play nice with it are games that need a real keyboard and mouse, anyways.
I had it for a week and its the most horrible, inconvenient and ''unplayable'' controller you can choose.
Buy a DS4 or the Xbox one.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was tempted to get one, but I can't convince myself what the benefit would be over the xbox 360 controller I have that I use for the occasional RPG I play on PC that are just horrid to play with kb+m.
Might just be me, but if you need to map keyboard keys to a controller, you may as well just use the keyboard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?