Steam big picture + MaLa = Bringing emulation to your HDTV

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by efaustus9, May 24, 2015.

1. efaustus9
    OP

efaustus9 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2007
    United States
    MA
    PC gaming has made considerable strides in replicating the simplicity of a console experience. The library available on the platform is unparalleled, however there are a significant number of titles that have never had PC ports. Fortunately many of these titles can be enjoyed with the use of emulators, unfortunately emulators are generally not conducive to a living room console experience. An emulator front-end addresses this.

When adding an emulator front-end to steam, one can enjoy many releases of current 8th generation systems all the way back to video gaming inception. I have uploaded my Mala front-end with the emulators all pre-confgired to aid anyone who may have interest in a similar set up. I demo this set-up in the video below. In the video description is the download with a how-to. It is configured for a 360 controller or any controller that windows will recognize as a 360 controller.

Download and Guide in description

Margen67 likes this.
  2. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Playing mario galaxy with a playstation controller? Nah ty.

Used wiis are not expensive.

3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    But they take additional space, collect additional dust, require additional controllers, and additional cables and annoyance to be connected to the TV.
    Why making bad use of space with unrequired dust collecting relics, when you can achieve the same just with your PC?
    (all for the sake of comfort, and long live to the PC Master Race)

nxwing, Deboog, efaustus9 and 2 others like this.
  4. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    PC Master Race represent B-)

5. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    By saying that playing on a PC with a PS2 controller it the same I can only guess you never played mario galaxy.

6. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Actually Mario Galaxy is very playable with a gamepad.

7. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    this is a third party software right? like a non-steam app\shortcut to use while under picture mode?

steam\valve doesn't support or helped\created something to support this?

for a moment i thought valve decided to add emulators to their service...

8. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    You can just connect the Wii remote to your pc

nxwing, Veho, Mike001 and 1 other person like this.
  9. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I'd recommend Kodi over Steam for a HTPC setup. Either way, it's not hard to set up and is great for getting a console like experience from PC gaming. If you set it up properly, it should work with just about any controller you throw at it.

10. efaustus9
    OP

efaustus9 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2007
    United States
    MA
    First I am using a wireless ps3 (dualshock 3) controller, and if you cue the video to 5:05 you will see that galaxy is quite playable with a game pad. The IR function is mapped to the right analog, and the shake function is mapped to R2. I have made a good deal of progress in the game.

Yes valve allows you to add non-steam software to steam. If the beginning of the video you can see that in addition to mala I have titanfall, battlefield 4 and Asphalt 8 available. They are not available on steam, titanfall and battlefield 4 are origin only and asphalt 8 uses bluestacks.

I use kodi as well for video streaming and media playback but not for gaming. I can launch kodi from steam big picture. I have not looked into adding steam, origin games and emulators to kodi but adding kodi to steam is very easy. Also with the pre-configured upload I made available adding emulators to steam is also very easy.

11. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    My HTPC is running Kodibuntu. I don't have Steam installed at all. I haven't had any problems getting my games to work seamlessly with it, beyond the usual problems with Linux gaming.

12. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    that was not my question, i am sorry you didnt understand my question..
    i used steam for years until i had to give it away..
    i am pretty aware about adding shortcuts to steam (non-steam games)
    steam from time to time, loves to come up with "big" new additions (like make a OS, steam picture mode, community market etc...)
    i thought for a moment valve come up with this, since they made picture mode, and steam boxes, thought the next step they took was emulation...
    but now that i see, is just a program by "fans"

13. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    I recommend using ICE. IT allows you to add each individual rom to steam itself, instead of having to launch a separate application. It looks pretty nice with custom banners.

14. gbadl

gbadl GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    This is a nice setup, better then most other frontends. I see you released a new version with more emulators recently. On your next update can you add the last few systems...
    -Atari Jaguar
    -Atari Lynx
    -C64
    -Colecovision
    -Intelivision
    -MSX 1 & 2.
    -Neo Geo Pocket consoles.
    -Virtual Boy
    -Wonderswan

That way all systems ever released would be under one frontend.