Star Trek: Beyond

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The movie is almost upon us. Anyone going to see it during the first week? My wife and I have our Starfleet uniforms ready! :D -I've been waiting for this movie since the ending credits of "Into Darkness".

Reactions: HaloEffect17

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*sigh*, I suppose I'll have to see it. I fear the worst for this movie, though. Just don't trust it after the last two and the previews.

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
The 2009 reboot was pretty good for what it was, and Into Darkness, while a fun-looking film, didn't feel very Star Trek-like. Too much action, like they tried to cram way too much plot and references into a single movie. I'm afraid this one will continue the trend - the trailers don't look like what I'd expect from a ST movie. But the past films have been entertaining at worst so I'll still go see it - my hopes just aren't very high.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now Sulu's gay. Why is Sulu gay? George Takei may have come out as gay, but he's an actor; Sulu was not gay. In fact, he had a daughter. These people just can't leave well enough alone, can they? Could have made a new character gay if they wanted to be progressive about it, but instead they just take an existing character and retcon him to be gay just because the actor who originally portrayed him is gay. And it's not like they even did it for George Takei's sake, because when he was informed of the twist, he asked them not to do it because a gay Sulu was not Gene Roddenberry's vision.

Reactions: ric.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now Sulu's gay. Why is Sulu gay? George Takei may have come out as gay, but he's an actor; Sulu was not gay. In fact, he had a daughter. These people just can't leave well enough alone, can they? Could have made a new character gay if they wanted to be progressive about it, but instead they just take an existing character and retcon him to be gay just because the actor who originally portrayed him is gay. And it's not like they even did it for George Takei's sake, because when he was informed of the twist, he asked them not to do it because a gay Sulu was not Gene Roddenberry's vision.

I'm mixed about this. It's cool that we have a gay character. I also get Takei wanting to be true to Roddenberry's vision of Sulu but I also think G.T. should just accept this version of Sulu and say cool beans. From a production POV, I bet they figured it was easy to just make Sulu gay because of Takei and the fact that the audience is already familiar with Takei's orientation. In other words, ease the audience into something they can easily adjust to (sad that I have to say that) rather than to make a whole new character for the sake of being what some would call PC.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally just got back from seeing this. It was pretty decent, but I still prefer certain predecessors. However, if you're a ST fan, I'd say it's definitely worth a watch.

Reactions: LightyKD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end