Splatoon Girl Hand Gesture Removed from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Deemed "Offensive"

On the recent update of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe v1.1 Nintendo has removed the hand gesture of Splatoon Girl because some people might feel offended by it.

inkling-mario-kart-656x369.jpg

This is insane. Even Mario Kart isn't safe from what this or that might be considered "offensive." :(

Splatoon Girl was only doing the hand gesture "YES!" and this is deemed unacceptable.

For those that may defend the censorship, there are people who may indeed find it disrespectful but that's them and in real life, this is a fictitious, harmless video game that should be left alone from being censored.

:arrow:Source: Nintendo Everything

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
5 year olds could definitely be playing it, I would let my soon-to-be daughter play it when she reaches that age.
The gesture wasn't targeting any audience initially, because it doesn't mean anything negative in Japan, so developers don't see any issue. Unfortunately, it looks like it slipped by the ratings boards somehow going overseas.
This. This is entirely possible.

Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To be honest, I was thinking about this.
As a fact, the arm gesture is known to mean "fuck you" in many places on the world.
Nobody seems to have really got offended regarding this in the game anyway.
If you ask me, the reason Nintendo removed this is because it was brought to their attention, and they really don't want their inkling girl character be associated with this meaning.
I mean, when they were building her character, she being seen as "the funny girl that tells you to go fuck yourself after she wins a race" was not their idea of what she is.
Because of this, and as Nintendo as company realizes their mistake, they rectify it out of their own volition to make the girl character stick to what they wanted, even in regions where the arm gesture has that meaning.

In the end, it is a company wide decision, out of their own interest, in order to portray a character the way they originally meant, fixing a mistake they realized later.

Now there are many people trying to police a company because it changes something in a game out of their own volition for their own reasons.
But these people seem very annoyed for the wrong reasons and try to twist the cause of the change and make it pass as censorship, when it is clearly not.

I was wondering,
Isn't what this people offended of the gesture being removed do a whole new type of despicable SJW?

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
As a fact, the arm gesture is known to mean "fuck you" in many places on the world.
If you ask me, the reason Nintendo removed this is because it was brought to their attention, and they really don't want their inkling girl character be associated with this meaning.
I mean, when they were building her character, she being seen as "the funny girl that tells you to go fuck yourself after she wins a race" was not their idea of what she is.
Because of this, and as Nintendo as company realizes their mistake, they rectify it out of their own volition to make the girl character stick to what they wanted, even in regions where the arm gesture has that meaning.

In the end, it is a company wide decision, out of their own interest, in order to portray a character the way they originally meant, fixing a mistake they realized later.

Now there are many people trying to police a company because it changes something in a game out of their own volition for their own reasons.
But these people seem very annoyed for the wrong reasons and try to twist the cause of the change and make it pass as censorship, when it is clearly not.

I was wondering,
Isn't what this people offended of the gesture being removed do a whole new type of despicable SJW?
Actually I like this a whole lot better than anything else.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I was wondering,
You could suggest that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This whole kerfuffle makes me want a copy of Mario Kart with a built-in taunt system that's enabled if your account says you're 18. Full-on middle fingers, swearing etc. - I imagine "Ah-fuck-ah you! Eat-ah the shitte!" would sound great in a fat Italian plumber voice.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This whole kerfuffle makes me want a copy of Mario Kart with a built-in taunt system that's enabled if your account says you're 18. Full-on middle fingers, swearing etc. - I imagine "Ah-fuck-ah you! Eat-ah the shitte!" would sound great in a fat Italian plumber voice.
That would be awesome.

Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No censorship is good, end of story. And self censorship is the WORST censorship. Censorship means keeping the masses ignorant of the truth, and I disagree with that.
looool. That's a load of bullshit. Censorship could be stopping lies too you know.
Also maybe read the real definition:
the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.

Mostly when it is never intended? I think not.

funnily enough this is not censorship.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5 year olds could definitely be playing it, I would let my soon-to-be daughter play it when she reaches that age.
The gesture wasn't targeting any audience initially, because it doesn't mean anything negative in Japan, so developers don't see any issue. Unfortunately, it looks like it slipped by the ratings boards somehow going overseas.
I find that very hard to believe 5 year olds would be playing this but I'm not a parent and if I were this wouldn't be a suitable game for them, but b/c Japan isn't a country controlled by a multitude of stereotypical views it would make logical sense why they are never hit hard with any kind of censorship among gaming.

Last edited by MasterJ360,

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find that very hard to believe 5 year olds would be playing this but I'm not a parent and if I were this wouldn't be a suitable game for them, but b/c Japan isn't a country controlled by a multitude of stereotypical views it would make logical sense why they are never hit hard with any kind of censorship among gaming.
The hell are you on? Mario Kart is a kids game.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I find that very hard to believe 5 year olds would be playing this but I'm not a parent and if I were this wouldn't be a suitable game for them, but b/c Japan isn't a country controlled by a multitude of stereotypical views it would make logical sense why they are never hit hard with any kind of censorship.
I mean, this game, like all Nintendo games, is targeted towards younger demographics. I'm 16 and so still live w/ my parents, and my mom does an art class from our home for little kids (like 4-6 yr olds). They all love playing Mario Kart and always ask to join in after class if they see me playing. It may seem weird between older Nintendo fans who are usually used to playing Nintendo games w/ other people their age, but kids love this stuff, too.

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread is still alive? This should honestly be locked now.
Not much in terms of actual discussion is going on right now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean, this game, like all Nintendo games, is targeted towards younger demographics. I'm 16 and so still live w/ my parents, and my mom does an art class from our home for little kids (like 4-6 yr olds). They all love playing Mario Kart and always ask to join in after class if they see me playing. It may seem weird between older Nintendo fans who are usually used to playing Nintendo games w/ other people their age, but kids love this stuff, too.
Ninty's real demographic and its target ones are two different things as outlined by your post. But Mario is only second to Mickey Mouse in terms of famousness so of course kids will play it,

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
looool. That's a load of bullshit. Censorship could be stopping lies too you know.
Also maybe read the real definition:
the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.

Mostly when it is never intended? I think not.

funnily enough this is not censorship.

So how is CNN and most of the MSM able to exist? I mean they lie all time and been caught on it.

But again, censorship is NEVER a good thing. Is like humour, humour should never be censored because it keeps the ignorant masses from getting a part of the truth. See old comedians and how they would pour in many truthfull remarks within their comedy acts.

To me some americans have become stupid, because they have shut their eyes and ears and have censor themselves since a few years now. I will not give in to that though, I am from latin america and we can see from miles away who is responsible for the self imposed censorship. Communists and communism, hope is clear.

Last edited by nashismo,
Reactions: Pachee

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Why do you find that hard to believe?

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So how is CNN and most of the MSM able to exist? I mean they lie all time and been caught on it.

But again, censorship is NEVER a good thing. Is like humour, humour should never be censored because it keeps the ignorant masses from getting a part of the truth. See old comedians and how they would pour in many truthfull remarks within their comedy acts.

To me some americans have become stupid, because they have shut their eyes and ears and have censor themselves since a few years now. I will not give in to that though, I am from latin america and we can see from miles away who is responsible for the self imposed censorship. Communists and communism, hope is clear.
You can think what you want. Doesnt mean I'll respect your thoughts seeing as how they're literally insane.
"Oh no! The communists!" You're 40 years too late.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte