OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
tl;dr: LAG

Original post:
Something really weird is happening in my game and I don't know if it's a bug or due to lag or something.

My character is equipped with Splashdown as the Special Attack and ever since the 1.1.2 update, attempting to use the Splashdown will result in an instant death of my character. When triggered, the character will jump like normal, but as soon as they reach the highest point of the jump they immediately explode in the opponent's ink colour and the kill is awarded to a nearby opponent.

I understand that characters are vulnerable when in the air during the attack, however I wasn't actually getting hit by anything. There were no damage sound effects, animations, nor the "damage cloud" effect on-screen. The worst cases are when I sneak up behind an opponent with a Roller weapon who's not even facing my way and try to Splashdown on them. My character will just explode and die instantly with the kill awarded to the Roller despite the fact that I was above them, they weren't doing the slinging attack, and nor were they rolling towards me.

This never happened prior to the 1.1.2 update and I was able to get a 17 "Freshness" rating on my weapon with a 28/22 win/lose ratio. Now because of this I'm losing 40 to 10 and the weapon has lost all bonuses. It's incredibly frustrating. Is it a bug? Lag? Consistent bad luck? WTF?

Last edited by NekoMichi,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for double post but, also, go to the game under system settings, data management, manage software and click check for corrupt data, just to make sure the issue isn't corruption

Reactions: NekoMichi

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
sorry for double post but, also, go to the game under system settings, data management, manage software and click check for corrupt data, just to make sure the issue isn't corruption
No data corruption was found, but it might be due to lag.
Tried playing with a friend and on their end they could see me being hit by attacks. Other players seem to be randomly idling on my screen, maybe the server's under heavy load from players gearing up towards the SplatFest.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Have you considered somebody is just sniping you when you reach the apex of your jump? You are still vulnerable after all, and you do make your position fairly clear when you initiate the special.
D'oh! I hadn't. If that's the case, then props to them for their accuracy.
Edit: That said, wouldn't my screen say "Splatted by Splat Charger" etc?

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D'oh! I hadn't. If that's the case, then props to them for their accuracy.
Edit: That said, wouldn't my screen say "Splatted by Splat Charger" etc?
also, wouldn't there be the line of ink towards you from the shot?
No data corruption was found, but it might be due to lag.
Tried playing with a friend and on their end they could see me being hit by attacks. Other players seem to be randomly idling on my screen, maybe the server's under heavy load from players gearing up towards the SplatFest.
thats some lag alright, and the thing is, it uses peer to peer conection for matches, Nintendo only handles match making

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
not sure about the problem you have, but you could have been sniped!

played some on TV earlier , looks great.
and is fun !

but i have one issue as well, not wanting to create another thread.
so here's my issue, the senitivity is odd.

the camera moves by its own sometimes which is hassly, and i have to quickly adjust the camera with the right analog stick, also with relaxed mode, joy cons detached the camera angle/moving the camera becomes even way worse.

and lastly, i use that roller weapon where you just roll it on the ground to splash ink and with this weapon some kind of Arrow cursor appears on the head of my character (3 arrow thingies i think..) so what is that there for , and can i disable it? it triggers my OCD.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I use that roller weapon where you just roll it on the ground to splash ink and with this weapon some kind of Arrow cursor appears on the head of my character (3 arrow thingies i think..) so what is that there for , and can i disable it? it triggers my OCD.
If you press ZR, your character will do an ink fling attack. I think the arrows show the range your fling attack will reach.

---

Turns out it might be data corruption after all. Even though yesterday a check showed all files were fine, today none of the games installed would launch and when checked under system settings, everything was marked as corrupted. Weirder still, when I try to delete and re-download the games the download progress will go like normal, but once it reached 100% it would fail. The SD card works fine on my PC, but I'm going to format and set it up again anyway.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
If you press ZR, your character will do an ink fling attack. I think the arrows show the range your fling attack will reach.
cool thanks, but it cannot be hidden can it ?
i dislike those arrows above the head for the whole frikkin match.

about your issue, that sure is weird.
i use the switch memory storage, have not yet the need for a mSD as i only have like 4 games installed.
MK/Disgaea/Splatoon and a few small ones.
try formatting your mSD , hope it fixes it that way.

let us know what happens.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Still haven't quite figured out what's going on. Could be a combination of bugs and lag.
At one stage, I was right next to an opponent and used a Splashdown. This time I didn't die instantly, but neither did the opponent. After the animation they were just standing there in the splash zone and had suffered no damage at all. On the other hand, there was another instance where I used the Splashdown and an opponent who was clearly outside of the attack range still got hit and ended up getting splatted by the attack.

And then there's this weird moment where an opponent who stepped outside of the respawn shield but was still impervious to attacks:

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cool thanks, but it cannot be hidden can it ?
i dislike those arrows above the head for the whole frikkin match.

about your issue, that sure is weird.
i use the switch memory storage, have not yet the need for a mSD as i only have like 4 games installed.
MK/Disgaea/Splatoon and a few small ones.
try formatting your mSD , hope it fixes it that way.

let us know what happens.
the arrows are the aiming reticle, but it's not like normal guns where it's a circle since it spreads rather than a precise shot, so when you can disable the aiming reticle you can disable the arrows

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
the arrows are the aiming reticle, but it's not like normal guns where it's a circle since it spreads rather than a precise shot, so when you can disable the aiming reticle you can disable the arrows
im actually getting used to the arrows, but the biggest issue for me in splatoon is defintely the news thing..

like seriously why can't nintendo just update to let us skip those frikkin annoying mascot characters.
i have never been a fan of either the marie?and i dont know the other squids name from splatoon1.

nor liking the marina/pearl, they are so overhyped.
why do people overhype those mascots so much, what is so special about them?

why can't we skip their annoying jibjab , i don't need to know what stages there are to play sheesh.
i just want to quickly get into some quick game *sigh*

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I was able to get something close to the Splashdown Suicide effect on video, but this one's a bit dubious:

You can see that as soon as my character reached the peak of the jump, they immediately exploded and the kill was awarded to the player I was trying to Splashdown on. Granted, they could have been hitting me, but there was no hit sound effect and in the slow motion footage they appeared to have been aiming forwards and not upwards. It's also possible that my character was hit by the bomb but the game somehow awarded the kill to the .52 Gal instead.

Here's another ambiguous but also suspicious case:

You can see the player Toma and I shoot each other several times, so we're both pretty damaged at this point. Then when I try to use Splashdown, my character again explodes at the highest point of the jump. It looks very much like Toma had shot me while jumping, and I accept that. But the strangest part was that when my character exploded, Toma was also splatted and the kill was awarded to me (shown at the bottom of the screen at 00:08). This is impossible, I couldn't have been hitting him because I was in the air mid-Splashdown. In this case, it wasn't me being hit that's the problem, but an opponent player being unfairly KO'd when they shouldn't have been.

Something that was definitely wrong was this:

In this clip you can see me splat a player and after their "return to respawn point" animation plays, my character immediately explodes and the kill is awarded to the opponent I just splatted even though they weren't on the field or shooting at me. Granted, it's possible that a different player had shot me from behind (in fact, I could hear the damage sound effect this time), but the game still wrongly awarded the kill to the other player. Also, it took 2 hits to splat me from zero damage with a Splattershot, but surely Splattershots take more hits to take down a player? The video shows it took 4 hits to take down an opponent, yet they only need half as many hits to take me down.

In the absolute worst offender, I was constantly firing towards a stationary opponent, and even though the crosshair showed that the aim was on them, the vast majority of shots simply passed through them and did not count as hits. With slow-motion footage, I could see that a total number of 24 shots were made with the crosshair red (target within shot), however out of all of these only 4 counted as hits (hit animation played) and the rest simply passed through as if the opponent didn't even have a hit box.

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
-Big Snip-
Dude, I have a shitty internet connection (So shitty that I can only play if I do almost nothing on the entire match or if I don't ink almost anything) and I can 100% guarantee you that this is due to lag.

What happens on your screen isn't always what others see happen, you might have splatted someone but on their end, due to lag, they splatted you before... So how does the game decide which result is the good one?
The answer: Both. That's why you get splatted even though nothing seems to hit you, because you might have started the Splashdown attack but due to lag the others might have splatted you before the game put you into the Splashdown sequence (So you might have seen starting the attack but others might have seen you standing on the ground)

This message is brought to you by a Splatoon player who has tons and TONS of lag and sees this in every single match (Yes, even the "I splatted you but I somehow got splatted by you while you were respawning" thing)

Last edited by AxlSt00pid,

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Dude, I have a shitty internet connection (So shitty that I can only play if I do almost nothing on the entire match or if I don't ink almost anything) and I can 100% guarantee you that this is due to lag.

What happens on your screen isn't always what others see happen, you might have splatted someone but on their end, due to lag, they splatted you before... So how does the game decide which result is the good one?
The answer: Both. That's why you get splatted even though nothing seems to hit you, because you might have started the Splashdown attack but due to lag the others might have splatted you before the game put you into the Splashdown sequence (So you might have seen starting the attack but others might have seen you standing on the ground)

This message is brought to you by a Splatoon player who has tons and TONS of lag and sees this in every single match (Yes, even the "I splatted you but I somehow got splatted by you while you were respawning" thing)
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I haven't had much experience of competitive online games (aside from Mario Kart 8 DX) and haven't played the original Splatoon before so it was little confusing but it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one (or that my console is potentially haunted, heh). Thanks ^_^

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I haven't had much experience of competitive online games (aside from Mario Kart 8 DX) and haven't played the original Splatoon before so it was little confusing but it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one (or that my console is potentially haunted, heh). Thanks ^_^
So mystery resolved?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome