Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gallery_111084_186_35735.png

Gbatemp member NightFox has updated Spirits DS, the homebrew game based on the 1987 platformer Spirits, to version 8/22/12 RC4. See what's been added to this edition in the change log, and for more information please check out the project's page linked below.

Change Log said:
  • Changed sound effects functions. The voices and sfx are played directly via libnds.
  • Added various sound effects.
  • Added a new hidden cheat to reveal the entire map.

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Project Page

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
there a few things that could be reworded in the tutorial.

screen 2: Press right and left with "B" to jump on that direction
could read: Press right and left with "B" to jump in that direction.

screen 4: You can also hang them in half a jump pressing Up.
could read: You can also hang from them mid-jump by pressing Up.

screen 5:Jump to activate the switches to open doors and secret passageways.
could read: Jump to active the switches which open doors and secret passageways.

screen 6:The paralyzed enemies may not harm you.
could read: The paralyzed enemies will not harm you.

screen 7:You can disenchant the Princess and the Armor shooing a spell if you own the appropriate objects.
could read: You can disenchant the Princess and the Armor by shooing a spell, if you have the appropriate objects.

screen 9: The remaining targets will be invisible until you don't own the crystal ball.
could read: The remaining targets will be invisible until you acquire the crystal ball.

screen 10:Once you have the crystal ball, you can see the rest of targets
could read: Once you have the crystal ball, you can see the rest of the targets

screen 12: At any time, you can press "X" for enable or disable
could read: At any time, you can press "X" to enable or disable

by the way, if you are not yet playing this game then you are doing your flash kit a disservice. this game is topnotch homebrew. there is a rumor that nightfox is leaving ds development after this game is finished. lets all try to work together to debug it and make it one of the great ds projects of 2012.

-another world

knightFox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nightfoxandco.com
XP
Country
Thanks a lots for the corrections. I'll add them to the next release. Hope this be a stable one after all sound issues. I played a lot the game and don't find any bug, but if anyone founds one, please report it. Thanks a lot for supporting my game ^^

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i found 1 graphical issue, i need to take a photo if it tomorrow. its in the first area, about 1 or 2 levels down. there is a torch that is half covered by a tapestry. seems like the torch needs to be moved more to the right. again, i'll snap of photo of it tomorrow to better help you to locate it.

i was playing on the 8bit version when i had a sound bug, the footsteps stopped playing. it was on a green floor, that is all i remember. when i moved up to the next screen the sound was back, but when i went back down a few steps to the green floor area the sound was gone again.

the live map that you added, it would be great if on the 8bit version the map graphics were 8bit. =)

i also found that you can jump onto the base of columns. i will take a photo of this as well tomorrow. is this how it should be?

cheers,
-another world

knightFox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nightfoxandco.com
XP
Country
Thanks for the report.

1, About the torch, I know what one is. It's not realy a bug (it's made intentionaly) but we think sometimes to move it a liitle.
2. It's posible to got some sound issues. I'm getting a lot of problems with sound, specialy with maxmod. To the end, i'm using maxmod only for music and libnds for soundeffects, but may still be a little buggy, and it's hard to i can fix this bug, but i can look deep into it.
3. Map it's supposed to be a 8 bits version XD. I has to do the HQ version XD
4. You can jump into colums base, like the original game, these things are strange, but since the original game has that, i keep them in my version ^^

Thanks a lot for your test & report ^^

shoyrumaster11

Trophies
XP
Country
So glad to see that the NDS Homebrew scene has still got some kick into it! I'm pretty new to it and think that the groups making these amazing prods are still doing kick ass things outsiders would otherwise think impossible! Nintendo International should be a little like companies of the 80's and 90's and accept these amazing homebrews and demos made by individuals and groups! My download for this has finished already!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
being new means you get to experience the best things and you won't have to dig through all the demos we beta tested years ago. =P

nightfox has a knack for making great homebrew. be sure to check out his other projects as well.

-another world

knightFox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nightfoxandco.com
XP
Country
Btw, anyone has found how to activate the in-game cheats yet? (if they are active, title screen background changes from orange to blue).
There are 4 cheats, teleport, recover energy, recover lives and reveal full map.
Some key combo has to be done at nflib/nightfox & co screens to activate the cheat mode ^^

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
that was just to easy. -=)

gallery_111084_186_62646.jpg

the hard part was figuring out how to active the cheats. hehe

they are all some really good cheats. for the first time i felt like the cheats actually allowed me to "cheat". usually cheats just aid the game, like unlimited health, but you still have to play through the entire game. with teleport you can pretty much beat the game in under 10 seconds, and did that ever take the fun out of the challenge. maybe teleport shouldn't be available until after you beat the game once. actually, maybe all the cheats should only be on a special options menu after you beat the game one time.

it would be really cool if you implemented a bunch of extra stuff that could be unlocked only in the enhanced edition. stuff like fan art, unused music, character profiles, a history of the game, etc. you just hide extra stuff in the treasure chests located around the map. you can always add more treasure chests and that way you aren't making any secret switches or rooms or anything. perhaps you add more items, like keys which do not show up on the map. each key only opens 1 chest and the location of the keys is always random. the keys should also hide into the background so they are rather difficult to find. the trick would then be to find a hidden key and then to make your way to a chest you have not previously opened, as keys would not be unique they would open any treasure chest.

another thing you could add after beating the game would be a spell that allows me to kill that cat!! i hate that cat! lol

-another world

knightFox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nightfoxandco.com
XP
Country
Cheats on spirits are really big cheats (that i used on debugging and testing of the game) and that's why they are locked by default ^^
Add hidden keys etc whould be nice, but maybe breaks a little the idea of remake. Other option it's just make a extended version (like spirits 2.0) using same engine of the game (because i made a 2d plataformer engine to build spirits) and make a total diferent game ^^

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i don't see any other comments about the cheats. looks like no one else has figured them out yet. =)

i understand your comments about the remake. stay true to the game. if you have the time i would love to see a v2.0 that includes all kinds of fun additions, or another completely new platformer!

-another world

knightFox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nightfoxandco.com
XP
Country
I coded spirits like a 2d action/plataform engine, portable to pc, etc or just to can made another game using it totaly diferent. Soo for sure ill try to use it again in other of my projects.
About the cheats, maybe people it's too young to remember old NES classic games cheats XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb