Misc SpillPass for Raspberry Pi v1.6

Dr.Wiley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey, happy to help as long as it doesn't involve "can I haz porkemon on 7.1 soon guyz!?!?!?" ;)

anyway, it seems the RTL8192CU chipset isn't supported by vanilla hostapd (the tool used to create an access point from the usb wlan stick).

But it seems that realtek offers their own version of hostapd which you could give a whirl if you feel comfortable compiling software on linux.

A short writeup on how to do it is on http://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-a-raspberry-pi-as-a-wifi-access-point/compiling-hostapd.

The easier (but way uncooler) workaround would be to get another wlan stick.

I had the same problem using a TP-Link TL-WN725V1 with Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset. According to this Tutorial it should work with Realtek chipset based Wi-Fi Adapters. I choose the lazy way and got a "new" Wi-Fi Stick, compatible with the vanilla Hostpad used in SpillPass.
On the SpillPass Homepage it is recommended to buy a BELKIN 150N (F6D4050) with Ralink RT3070 Chipset which uses the nl80211 driver. So i searched for this kind of model and found only one overpriced shop, selling this stick in Germany.
I wasn't sure if other Ralink based chipset sticks would work, so i ordered a cheap nano Stick (6,50€) with a RT5370 Chipset.
Long story short - it works.

sk8mystery23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man this is awesome.

It's working great for me, except that I can't seem to get any Pokemon X/Y streetpasses at all. Anyone else having any problems like that?

Mokkun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey, happy to help as long as it doesn't involve "can I haz porkemon on 7.1 soon guyz!?!?!?" ;)

Yust a little update, Finally managed to get the "rigth" stick, whit it, spillpass works perfectly. almost to god, cant empty the queue fast enough. ;)
Thanks again for the help

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yust a little update, Finally managed to get the "rigth" stick, whit it, spillpass works perfectly. almost to god, cant empty the queue fast enough. ;)
Thanks again for the help

Would you please post which one you got? Just in case others run in this problem again.

And once again, I'm happy to have helped.

Mokkun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

zero80472

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.scotscraftmc.com
XP
Country

oldbushie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There seems to be a bug in the nintendozone.sh script:
Code:
CONFIG_FILE=/tmp/nz_config.conf
if [[ ! -p $CONFIG_FILE ]]; then
    mkfifo $CONFIG_FILE ]]
fi

Shouldn't those brackets be removed on the 3rd line there? I was getting an error on boot related to that line of code. Otherwise it works great!

This is the kit I used:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/423296/Raspberry_Pi_XBMC_Starter_Home_Theater_Kit_with_Model_B

The wifi adapter included in that kit works perfectly with your boot img with no modifications; I'll have to return the Belkin N150 I bought because it's the wrong one anyways (too new).

SenpaiIsTheMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Forget it, the WI-FI stick is not that expensive. I'll try it out tomorrow and give feedback. But as you described it, it sounds like a monkey with a half brain can do it.^^

SenpaiIsTheMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hmm, there's something not working as supposed... I proceeded as mentioned in the tutorial. While booting the stick gets recognized. any ideas why?

EDIT:

Okay, I think I found it...

Although I use a Belkin N150, but it says on the back of the stick: "Model: F7D1101 v".

But it has to be the "F6D4050" just like Mokkun posted before? I hope I can return the Stick to the store.

Attachments

• tmp_Screenshot_2014-02-22-21-25-051590205467.png
    tmp_Screenshot_2014-02-22-21-25-051590205467.png
    209 KB · Views: 368

_jdirty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

JackyD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad it is working for everyone :)

Also, dont use the Pi datasheet for compatibility. That list just shows which adapters work in raspbian under client mode. There are precious few that work in FULL host mode (with proper mac spoofing and packet injection). I tested about 12 different chipsets before deciding to standardize on what I did. I chose it for price as well as overall compatibility.

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
JackyD

I seem to be having troubles with SpillPassPi.

The "attwifi" network seems to disappear after a while. This has happened twice consecutive boots.

I know everything is working as I am able to get streetpass hits. It's just troublesome having to reboot my pi. Right now its acting like a ondemand homepass relay instead of being automatic.

UPDATE: My preliminary suspicion is that the powered usb hub that the Wifi Dongle is connected to is faulty.

Update2: Yeah, my usb hub was faulty.

newbma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-A Simple Homebrew Plug and Play 3DS HomePass Relay and Working “Nintendo Zone” Hotspot-

Um3nRSO.jpg

Description:
SpillPass Pi aims to be a plug and play StreetPass relay and Nintendo Zone Hotspot that will function behind any standard home router without configuration. Just plug it in and let it run! It runs on the Raspberry Pi hardware and runs the latest (as of this writing) version of Raspbian OS. WebGUI (reboot and shutdown) and detachable status page added. Thanks goes out to the Raspberry Pi foundation as well as the HomePass community for their work and continued support and progress in helping people the world over complete these damned 3D Puzzles.

Image is now released. Download and full instructions (and hardware list) a....

http://www.spillmonkey.com/?page_id=5

Let me know if you use it.

-TSM

-A Simple Homebrew Plug and Play 3DS HomePass Relay and Working “Nintendo Zone” Hotspot-

Um3nRSO.jpg

Description:
SpillPass Pi aims to be a plug and play StreetPass relay and Nintendo Zone Hotspot that will function behind any standard home router without configuration. Just plug it in and let it run! It runs on the Raspberry Pi hardware and runs the latest (as of this writing) version of Raspbian OS. WebGUI (reboot and shutdown) and detachable status page added. Thanks goes out to the Raspberry Pi foundation as well as the HomePass community for their work and continued support and progress in helping people the world over complete these damned 3D Puzzles.

Image is now released. Download and full instructions (and hardware list) a....

http://www.spillmonkey.com/?page_id=5

Let me know if you use it.

-TSM

I really want to set up my new Pi as a Streetpass relay. I am new to this so, please don't assume that I have basic knowledge on this front. For some reason I'm getting an error when I try to go to the spillmonkey link above. I am hoping to get step by step instructions for set up.
I want to verify that this will set up the pi as an internet relay separate from my current wifi (both can run at the same time) so I don't have to manually switch back & forth & can roll thru macs. Help.

JackyD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh. My hosting provider screwed up my database. I will have it up shortly.
There are full step by step instructions on the site, along with the specific hardware to buy (wifi dongle model is very important) on the hardware tab.
Both can certainly run at the same time. I have my 3DS on my normal wifi, but it looks to the Pi when closed to collect streetpasses.

newbma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are full step by step instructions on the site, along with the specific hardware to buy (wifi dongle model is very important) on the hardware tab.
Both can certainly run at the same time. I have my 3DS on my normal wifi, but it looks to the Pi when closed to collect streetpasses.

Great! I'll be looking for your site to be back up. Does it describe how you have the 3DS set up to pick up both the normal wifi & the Pi when closed? Elsewhere I thought I saw that you had to delete the normal wifi.

newbma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Do I need the mirror1, mirror2 and torrent files?

JackyD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You dont need to delete your normal wifi (only if you want the nintendo zone access to work)
Once it is up, just close your 3DS and wait :)

You only need to download it from one source. The mirrors are just alternate sources.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone