Hacking [Speed comparison] in loading time between different SD Card classes

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys

Today I bought another faster SD card and I decided to compare it to my previous SD card both are from the same brand but with different class/speed

the old/slow SD Card & the new/fast SD Card
61rIAqcne2L._SY355_.jpg
61CCUg+hb4L._SY355_.jpg

I did the comparison in these games
Super Mario 3D World and Zombi U

ARDJ01.png
AZUE41.png

and here is the result :

loading time in Super Mario 3D world with the old/slow SD card
Mario 3D World - slow SD card.png

and with the new/fast SD card
Mario 3D World - fast SD card.png

loading time in Zombi U with the old/slow SD card
ZombiU - slow SD card.png

ZombiU - fast SD card.png

in conclusion
don't waste your money in a Super Fast SD Card the Wii U isn't capable to handle this speed

Last edited by memomo,

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
And where's your proof that the Wii U can't handle the speed? Did you personally examine the SD reader/writer inside the Wii U?
If you don't need to provide proof, then @TheKawaiiDesu doesn't either.

I have a concept, that's looks logical at least for me

If you have a disprove for my concept I'll be thankful and learning a new thing

Alex-NK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys

Today I bought another faster SD card and I decided to compare it to the previous SD card both are from the same brand but with different class/speed

the old/slow SD Card & the new/fast SD Card
View attachment 37861 View attachment 37862

I did the comparison in these games
Super Mario 3D World and Zombi U

ARDJ01.png
View attachment 37863

and here is the result :

loading time in Super Mario 3D world with the old/slow SD card
View attachment 37865
View attachment 37866

loading time in Zombi U with the old/slow SD card
View attachment 37867
View attachment 37868

in conclusion
don't waste your money in a Super Fast SD Card the Wii U isn't capable to handle this speed
This is true! I tell you more, I test 3 different SD cards:
1. Transcend premium 300x U1 64gb
2. Transcend 10x 16gb
3. Fake and cheap adata from aliexpress 10x 64gb
And the fastest was transcend 10x 16gb, than cheap adata, and than original premium transcend 300x.
Transcend 10x and adata have almost the same speed. Transcend 300x U1 is really slow. But when I test this cards on PC, transcend 300x was very much faster than other.

Reactions: memomo

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This subject has been discussed in multiple thread in the past.. but here is what I know:

1) The WiiU has a SD/SDHC (not SDXC) slot which is not compatible with SDXC.. however SDXC cards will work if formatted in FAT32 (which is the SDHC standard of formatting)
2) The WiiU SD slot has a maximum speed read of 25 mb/s since its runs version 2 of Sd specification which utilise a High speed bus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SDHC
3) The SD slot was made available on the WiiU only for vWii compatibility and was not meant to be used in WiiU mode.. so they didn't build it for speed
4) For speed performance with games that have a lot of small files, the important specs to look at on your card is "Random 4K read/write"... read and write advertised on SD card presented by the OP shows the maximum speed of the card... most likely speeds transferring files that are much bigger that 4k, that's why there isn't much difference between the real life speed of the 2 cards on game loading
5) has a general consensus Class 10 SD card is all you need for the WiiU, USH3 is overkill (unless the random 4k specs are awesome..)
6) there has been noticeable speed difference when formatting the sd card with different cluster size. 64K seems to be the fastest but some games have compatibility issues, second best is 32K cluster which is still fast but no compatibility issues reported that I know of.

Hope this help...

Last edited by Wiiunator,

AaronZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Is the SD card reader faster than the USB 2.0 ports? Do we know the max read speed of the card reader?

Net-KILLER

computer says no
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Short facts FYI
- WiiU doesn't support UHS, so limited to SD cad2.0 maximum transfer speed of 25MB/s
- WiiU optical drive speed is about 22.5MB/s
- Random access speed of SD media is <1ms
- Random access speed of OSD is at least ten times slower.

Blame loadiine not optimised FAT driver!

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Also another thing I found made a difference when adding games to the SD card is to do a low level formatting first, then add all the games you want on the card at once, the sd card seems to perform a lot better that way. When it did not do it that way, ( adding games 1 by 1 over time) I had instances where my card under performed when running a speed test... Sometime as bad as 80% less speed...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended