Hacking [SPECULATION] SSSpwn allows kernel access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW is a nullpoint since it has no benefits now.
Smea is working on region free.
You can have this one.
What ever happened to cheats? Smea got popular because of his advancements in Pokemon.
Is this not just pirated games for the most part?
Native hardware – what? This would rely on a pre-existing GBA 1:1 playthrough on the 3DS, but all we have is Nintendo's semi-emulator that was given to Ambassadors. Hell, an unofficial emulator might run better.
Is this even available through any means?

Yes, even Smea said screenshots would be possible via the home menu with his original 'redNAND' exploit he shelved.

You can CIA install homebrew, which is vastly more convenient.

You need Kernel access to activate cheats. You're probably thinking of Save editing?

CFW is not null, specially for people who want some extra features or customization, such as screenshot taking, like i mentioned.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How did we get on the subject of the PSP again and why is everyone saying that it was unsuccessful and piracy killed it? It sold about as well as the goddamn GBA and has thousands of games - that's pretty damn successful for Sony's first attempt at a portable. Yes, the DS sold better, but it was an anomaly in the grand scheme of things. Yes, piracy was rampant, but irrelevant - pirates are in the minority, they're the margin of the userbase.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I can tell you for certain that rom edits/translations are not possible without piracy also being possible.

Memory patching is also a far more effective method of distribution than patching a rom. Patching a rom requires more space on the host memory card, whereas if you just patch memory regions, or substitute files as they're loaded from the romfs, it'd be much easier to distribute.

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Memory patching is also a far more effective method of distribution than patching a rom. Patching a rom requires more space on the host memory card, whereas if you just patch memory regions, or substitute files as they're loaded from the romfs, it'd be much easier to distribute.

Inside userland, how will you be able to launch another 3DS game in order to do all that memory patching?

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Yes, even Smea said screenshots would be possible via the home menu with his original 'redNAND' exploit he shelved.

You can CIA install homebrew, which is vastly more convenient.

You need Kernel access to activate cheats. You're probably thinking of Save editing?

CFW is not null, specially for people who want some extra features or customization, such as screenshot taking, like i mentioned.

It's null because you can't say you need it for x feature when x feature doesn't exist and relies on y being available as well.

And if screenshots are truly available and accessible, why aren't they released or present? Of course Smea was able to do them, but why has it not been created by a different dev for distribution or implementation in one of the available CFWs or at least Gateway's EmuNAND?

How did we get on the subject of the PSP again and why is everyone saying that it was unsuccessful and piracy killed it? It sold about as well as the goddamn GBA and has thousands of games - that's pretty damn successful for Sony's first attempt at a portable. Yes, the DS sold better, but it was an anomaly in the grand scheme of things. Yes, piracy was rampant, but irrelevant - pirates are in the minority, they're the margin of the userbase.

Because piracy eventually did kill it. Something can live wonderfully and then be hit with something that results in its death. Hell, that's how most things die.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
gypsynimrod said:
Because piracy eventually did kill it. Something can live wonderfully and then be hit with something that results in its death. Hell, that's how most things die.
I strongly disagree - the PSP died a natural death once everyone who wanted one bought one. The average user does not dabble in piracy. If anything contributed to its decline, it's smartphones.

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I strongly disagree - the PSP died a natural death once everyone who wanted one bought one. The average user does not dabble in piracy. If anything contributed to its decline, it's smartphones.

The PSP was literally only selling in Japan (in 2008 and Q1 09) due to its use as a different device once a CFW was installed and you could pirate games. Look at the offerings on the system near the end compared to its opening. You have half-baked "ports" or low budget sidegames sold as full exclusives. Dev support by 08 was almost nill and it's still hurting Sony on the Vita (coupled with their lack of advertising).

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It most defiantly was smartphones i don't know of anyone remembers but the psp go or psp 3000 or whichever one had that little kid bashing on smartphones all the time in the commercials, their whole marketing campaign was based around it

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
OH BOY
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HOW COULD I BE LATE FOR THIS
THE RIDE NEVER ENDS

On a serious note GovanifY is irrelevant now that noone trusts him anymore and he can't steal from them.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inside userland, how will you be able to launch another 3DS game in order to do all that memory patching?

How can smealum region-unlock games without taking out Cubic Ninja? We know it's coming one way or another (without kernel access), so it's not impossible that we could have some memory patching along with it.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How can smealum region-unlock games without taking out Cubic Ninja? We know it's coming one way or another (without kernel access), so it's not impossible that we could have some memory patching along with it.
It should be just ROP crap making other processes do the patching.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The PSP was literally only selling in Japan (in 2008 and Q1 09) due to its use as a different device once a CFW was installed and you could pirate games. Look at the offerings on the system near the end compared to its opening. You have half-baked "ports" or low budget sidegames sold as full exclusives. Dev support by 08 was almost nill and it's still hurting Sony on the Vita (coupled with their lack of advertising).
This is a pointless argument - add up the total number of Pro CFW downloads at the height of its popularity and you'll have a more accurate picture of how many people modded their systems since there's no point in running anything else. It's just like with the Wii - only a little over 3% of the total userbase has Homebrew Channel, this is an accurate stat straight from HackMii, and a portion of those users don't even pirate. If there's another 2% of users with chips, you'd be lucky. Overall, the gross majority does not pirate. The Wii and the PSP alike lost support because users lost interest over time, end of story. No active users equals no software sales and lower hardware sales due to a booming pre-owned market. The systems just reached their peak, there's nothing weird about that.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure he's gonna have us do a hotswap after we've already launched the homebrew launcher.

GoldenSun3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok ok ok ok, i don't really care enough to give details but i'll say the following and i promise i'm not lying :

1. govanify is full of shit and doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. if he'd actually "reversed it in 2h" he'd know better than to say what he's saying and to use tweets and quotes from an interview as proof (lol)
2. ninjhax does not at any point get unsigned code to run in kernel mode. there's really nothing more to say about that.
3. doing region free on the 3DS does not require kernel mode code exec. again, not much more to say about that.
4. if a part of hbmenu's code actually signified beyond the shadow of a doubt that i've been lying about the nature of the exploit do you seriously think i'd have been dumb enough to a) make it so obvious and b) make hbmenu open source at all ? if so i'm a little insulted.

to sum it up in one word :

please

Can't help but notice how you used technicalities in your reply to cover your ass and avoid being called a liar if you're wrong.

1. I agree, if he did reverse it, he'd have released his exploit code for proof.
2. You said "Ninjhax" - your exploit that you coded. That does not say that someone else can't rewrite your code to access the kernel.
4. Again, a part of hbmenu's code, which is your code. Yes, your code can't be used for piracy/CFW/etc, but that doesn't say that someone else's code can't.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Can't help but notice how you used technicalities in your reply to cover your ass and avoid being called a liar if you're wrong.

1. I agree, if he did reverse it, he'd have released his exploit code for proof.
2. You said "Ninjhax" - your exploit that you coded. That does not say that someone else can't rewrite your code to access the kernel.
4. Again, a part of hbmenu's code, which is your code. Yes, your code can't be used for piracy/CFW/etc, but that doesn't say that someone else's code can't.

Then what's the point in saying ninjhax has kernel access?
If you write something to achieve that then that'd be another exploit, even if it somewhat relies on ninjhax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr