ROM Hack SpecializeMii "Plus" (on-console Mii database editor)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Only as of this morning I discovered this obscure but well designed homebrew called SpecializeMii which allows for fairly effortless conversion of Mis to golden pants.

I was really satisfied by its existence, because it means someone publicly took advantage of the documentation efforts!

There were 3 main goals of that research (at least for the part I conducted): figuring out how the Personal Mii is selected, figuring out what exactly makes a proper Gold Mii, and figuring out what makes a Mii editable by you.

This homebrew covers point 2, and now I've added a passable implementation of point 3 -- now, as an alternative to heavy copypasta in a hex editor and obscure PC software to calculate the checksums, to unlock all of your Miis for editing you only need to change up to 2 values, and to run two homebrews!

Enough propaganda/backstory, facts time:
Yet, since the moment over a year ago, when I confirmed without doubt the format of the System ID, I've wanted to make a tool to automate unlocking Miis for editing, but the annoyance of converting a wikitable to nested structs and especially writing database parser & checksum functions put me off.

Now you can do this from the comfort of your console!

3DSX (tested on 11.5, Rosalina 8.1.1, hblauncher 2.0) only, because buildtools don't work due to missing dependencies and I don't want to spend any further time fixing software I don't like (not that you'll likely use this homebrew more than twice...)

Read the main readme for more information, and don't forget to thank phijor for his backend work...

https://github.com/rboninsegna/SpecializeMii/releases

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So with this we can make our 3DS Mii have gold pants
This has been possible for over 2 years (a shared extdata dumper was one of the first major homebrews)... it's just more automated, with no PC needed (thanks to the original SpecializeMii, I didn't add this feature)
copy gold pants Mii
Gold Miis can't be copied by definition (but of course you can make them normal and owned by you, copy and edit them, then make the copies gold again)
and send Gold pants Mii to other consoles ?
We should clarify "send" - the same limitation and workaround described above applies to the Mii Maker trading function, while it's indeed possible to use a gold Mii in Mii Plaza (and Nintendo has officially done so a couple of times in certain countries)

Reactions: breaktemp

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is nice, I've been looking into making a homebrew that replicates the features of the PC software 3DSMiiModifier to allow you to mark Mii's as Special, Sharable, Editable, and change their names. I also did not know this "SpecializeMii" software existed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Reactions: Ryccardo

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
It's been said that setting your personal Mii to special status is unsafe and can cause instability, but I haven't been able to find much more detail than that. Could someone please elaborate on what exactly can happen with a special personal Mii, and how serious are the risks?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's been said that setting your personal Mii to special status is unsafe and can cause instability, but I haven't been able to find much more detail than that. Could someone please elaborate on what exactly can happen with a special personal Mii, and how serious are the risks?
Gold Miis are by definition not editable, but Personal Miis are supposed to always editable though this is not technically enforced (from this it can also be deduced a Personal Mii is not supposed to be golden), some software have a gripe (crash) when 1 or more of these 2 expectations are not met

Reactions: NekoMichi

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Gold Miis are by definition not editable, but Personal Miis are supposed to always editable though this is not technically enforced (from this it can also be deduced a Personal Mii is not supposed to be golden), some software have a gripe (crash) when 1 or more of these 2 expectations are not met
Ah, that clears things up. Thanks.
There were rumours about it wiping all Mii data but I didn't see any supporting information about the claim.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You build a nice 3dsx. But will you build a cia?
Unlikely, I tried back then (have reformatted my PCs over 10 times in over a month) and it failed because Steveice10's buildtools break all too easily when it doesn't have the right version of the tools and I didn't care much about manually doing it, lol

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So... nobody else hangs when trying to use this? (yes, I did check that I was using the right versions of stuff)
The only thing I can think of is that this is somehow broken on 11.6.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte