Hacking Official [Source Release] ReiNand CFW

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sure. Suggestions are one thing, but when someone gives you an answer and you're response is that it's not good enough, I'm not sure what to tell you.
My responses seem appropriate to the situation. I think his logic is bunk and I've already voiced that.
Still, I'll stop hassling this thread if it's apparent that there's nothing I can contribute. Off to enjoy CakesFW!

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
And I doubt there is another, non-hackish as Rei says to do it (I may be wrong, though): the choice made by Nintendo to reboot to make the SYSTEM region 0x02000000 bytes (32 MB) smaller seems logical.
I dont like the idea of inserting a blob of code for 2 games to run on just 1 type of console. I was looking into alternative MPU settings instead, or even a way to implement it that isnt just inserting a blob.

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France
*2 very popular games. FTFY :)

I was looking into alternative MPU settings instead
The "extended (application) RAM mode" was called like that for a reason: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Memory_layout#FCRAM_memory-regions_layout

If you don't want to reboot, I think you mistook MPU for the MMU.

The ARM11 doesn't have a MPU (it's the ARM9), it has a MMU.

You'll need to recreate all the memory mappings, hence the difficulty.

Last edited by TuxSH,

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
Besides, just because one CFW has a certain feature doesn't mean all others have to follow suit.
In any case, you're not asking Aurora or mid-kid to add the patch format Rei uses in his 3ds_injector fork, because it's a feature that keeps ReiNAND F R E S H and U N I Q U E.
Took the words out of my mouth, lol
*2 very popular games. FTFY :)

The "extended (application) RAM mode" was called like that for a reason: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Memory_layout#FCRAM_memory-regions_layout

MPU isn't sufficient
Logical fallacy, but i digress. Even a way to integrate it into the cfw would be more ideal.
His injector is broken, so of course others wouldn't implement it.
Except its not.

Either way, reading through this thread i gotta say, the self-entitlement is real. It makes me less likely to work on it. It should go without saying that im still working on this project and still have plans on implemening these things.. there are just some things that take higher precedence.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rei commented in that PR, so I'm pretty sure he's aware of it already. I posted that PR for the benefit of wolvak...
I never said he wasn't aware if it, but from talking to my friend (who will remained un-named unless he wants to post here), it was broken. He couldn't get ReiNAND to boot until he modified the injector.

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
So I guess the pictures I provided and the PR linked here by @TuxSH and @astronautlevel are a lie?
Thats not a 'fix' to anything. That's an alternative method to what im doing. A slightly 'cleaner' way even. But i dont really plan on editing loader that much after i iron out the bugs, so not sure it'll be all that useful.
I never said he wasn't aware if it, but from talking to my friend (who will remained un-named unless he wants to post here), it was broken. He couldn't get ReiNAND to boot until he modified the injector.
Again, lies. If he had the older release from the other day, that was a byte i neglected when pulling out the shiny patch.

Last edited by Reisyukaku,

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats not a 'fix' to anything. That's an alternative method to what im doing. A slightly 'cleaner' way even. But i dont really plan on editing loader that much after i iron out the bugs, so not sure it'll be all that useful.

Again, lies. If he had the older release from the other day, that was a byte i neglected when pulling out the shiny patch.
He was using the build after the shiny patch one. I don't know why he would be lying to me, but whatever.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
He was using the build after the shiny patch one. I don't know why he would be lying to me, but whatever.
Well, there were three builds pushed yesterday:
Build one which had the shiny shit,
build two which Rei fucked up and wouldn't boot, <-- I'm guessing this is the one your friend was testing with
and build three which actually worked.

Are there problems with how the loader works? Yes. Does ReiNAND boot fine anyway? Also yes.

Last edited by astronautlevel,
Reactions: Reisyukaku

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
That's a horrible way to do things, it makes seeing the differences impossible unless you can remember every line of the first commit...
It was very small edits within a small time span. It merges the commits or rather 'edits' them so theres no reason for remembering anything.. it's better than having 100 'oops' commits.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It was very small edits within a small time span. It merges the commits or rather 'edits' them so theres no reason for remembering anything.. it's better than having 100 'oops' commits.
I know what it does, but it's a horrible way to manage it. I'd rather have 100 'oops' commits and a real commit history than trying to aim for the least amount of commits possible.

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
I know what it does, but it's a horrible way to manage it. I'd rather have 100 'oops' commits and a real commit history than trying to aim for the least amount of commits possible.
You cant find anything in a 100 'oops' commits. And im not trying to aim for the least amount.. just meaningful commits. That's how bilis taught me to do it and thats what makes sense the most. If i commits something saying "Added features X" and "feature X" doesnt work the way i intended, you bet i'll ammend real quick if i catch it in time.. otherwise i'll commit as a fix.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You cant find anything in a 100 'oops' commits. And im not trying to aim for the least amount.. just meaningful commits. That's how bilis taught me to do it and thats what makes sense the most. If i commits something saying "Added features X" and "feature X" doesnt work the way i intended, you bet i'll ammend real quick if i catch it in time.. otherwise i'll commit as a fix.
And yet, you committed something, made a release with a bug, amended the commit, made another release with a bug, and amended the commit again. So there were three releases off one "commit", with nobody able to actually see that a change was made to the code itself (Since the commit is still marked as happening when the first commit was done).

When you amend commits "in time", it makes it really tempting to amend commits even when a decent amount of time has passed (Or a release has been made).

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
If you catch it "in time" I guess it would be fine, but given that there were hours between the initial commit and the amends, and it clearly caused confusion on this thread, I wouldn't consider that "in time."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I use to have a guy for that thanks richard