Not open for further replies.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm just a little confused as to why whenever Soulx posts legitimate news its first post always reads along the lines of, "Dawww, I walked in here expecting Soulx and was not disappointed." I know that he has a bit skewed opinions, but at the same time many other users here treat Sony as our overlords. Very few members even think to post negative news about Sony because they're afraid of being branded as "Valwin", or "Soulx". It inhibits discussions when I and others legitimately have an opinion and real concerns on Sony's plummeting stock shares and many other things too. Why is it that members feel the need to just brush it all of because it's Soulx? It's no secret that Sony has been struggling lately, so why does he get all the flak for reporting it? Even the moderators have been lax in making sure the thread stays on topic, opting instead to lock it when it gets out of hand. Sure this bullshit was funny at first, but now that it's out of hand this much I usually find myself too late to post my concerns or opinions.

I'd really like it if people could remain mature and civil over such things. Don't like his posts, don't post. Maybe debate civilly but don't just walk in and post nonsense and walk out. That is fucking annoying and frankly I'm sick of seeing this recurring theme. >.<

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Shall we put this theory to the test?

I bet you million bucks that if a thread is properly worded and with no blatantly obvious agenda behind it and its poster is known to be objective and won't try to steer the discussion to benefit his confound beliefs, it's going to be perfectly fine.
Please do. I know a few Sony posts that survived. But that was a long time ago.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just an aside, but people who knowingly take the bait and make a big fuss out of it are just making it harder for the mods to do their jobs.
When I say ignore the topic I mean don't make things worse.
If you think it's a legitimate flamebait? Report it. Leave it alone afterwards. Don't make things worse.
Not only do the mods have to deal with the original problem, they now have to deal with the pages upon pages of mess you may have caused otherwise.

Just like how it's stupid to report someone posting rom links and then quoting their post telling them not to post rom links and making the mods do twice the cleanup.
Why would you knowingly make things worse when you could just report it and move on?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I don't have a problem at all, that is as long as every member posting some sort of representative thread (news) don't shit right off the news itself. Yeah it's a bit harsh but that's it. Let's keep the news itself clean and opinions/etc aside.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Shall we put this theory to the test?

I bet you million bucks that if a thread is properly worded, with no blatantly obvious agenda behind it and its poster is known to be objective and won't try to steer the discussion to benefit his confounded beliefs, it's going to be perfectly fine.

The poster may do everything right, but that won't stop a thread from being locked if the commenters with their own agenda and interpretations get in the way.
Soulx has been set with the mark of a Sony-hater, so no matter what news he posts about Sony, positive or negative, people will interpret his "action" as hostile and will respond as such.

Reactions: eyes

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The poster may do everything right, but that won't stop a thread from being locked if the commenters with their own agenda and interpretations get in the way.
Soulx has been set with the mark of a Sony-hater, so no matter what news he posts about Sony, positive or negative, people will interpret his "action" as hostile and will respond as such.
That's usually because his intentions are hostile, but I've accepted the fact that he doesn't intend to come across that way - he just *is* that way.

In any case, I've done my part, did something that I find incredibly boring and posted a news report about goddang sales. We'll see where that takes me.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said my news threads showed my biased when it's absolutely wrong. Despite how I feel about this site, I do take my duties here quite seriously. I'll clown around outside of my job but when it comes to posting news I'm a stickler when it comes to journalistic integrity, even for something so minor and silly as video gaming news on a forum.

Nothing front page dude. Those are fine and I enjoy reading them. It's the USN you fuck around in.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What I've been seeing around here plenty of times is unbiased and relevant facts being treated as "flame bait" because the community is obviously not going to react to them well.

Do we simply outlaw all discussion that might step on the delicate toes of the site's users?
Of course not. Outlawing legitimate discussion would be ridiculous, and I never implied anything of the sort. I'm saying that people need to get some steel-toed boots for their delicate toes, stop crying "foul" and keep discussions civil or we'll continue to lock any threads that get out of hand. It's really up to the members, not the staff.

I'm just tired of being blamed for shit. It's like knocking a glass vase off the table and then blaming gravity for pulling it down to the ground and breaking it. People need to take some responsibility for their own damn actions.

Reactions: Castiel

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This dead horse has been beaten to a messy, mushy pulp; let it be already.
No, it needs to be flogged more. I'm not happy with the behavior of some of this site's members, and I'm not alone. This needs to be said and I know the mods are working on it. @Densetsu: I'm not even blaming the mods too much either. I understand the work load everyone has and all of you have a life and a family to attend to. I get it. It's just I've been seeing very little to no improvement of the situation and quite frankly I'm perturbed. I'm generally silent when it comes to the site's modsmanship, but I visit and post nearly every day and this problem hasn't taken many steps towards being fixed.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
News should be unbiased. It's more propaganda if it's too biased.

The problem with Soulx in regards to the USN is not that he posts news (doing pretty well with that all in all), but the way he posts some news.

Just to outline the point here:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/white-3ds-xl-coming-to-europe-nov-16th-mario-kart-7-pre-installed.335466/

vs

http://gbatemp.net/threads/skyrim-ps3-issues-not-sonys-fault-says-bethesda.335634/

The first one is a post of many that had informative formatting and an unbiased/non biased opinion. It has an opinion, which is clearly a positive one and can be seen as the OP's own voice.

The second one is like dropping a nuclear bomb on a town and saying that it's the people living there that actually dropped it. It's clearly flamebait and if someone tries to deny it, just don't. And that brings us to the hmph. If you compare those two threads and the OP's general opinion, it's clear the hmph is negative and will probably lead to the RAAAGEEEEEEEE we've seen.

My 5 cents.

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I predict gravity will forcefully remind you who's boss in the next few hours or so.
Densetsu knows it's all in good spirits. ;)

Personally, I think this thread has ran its course - you won't fall victim to the same issues soulx or Valwin did because, as I said earlier in this thread, you're nothing like them.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not even blaming the mods too much either.
I wasn't directing my rant at you, and I apologize if it seemed that way. I'm just referring to members in general who expressly criticize the way things are done around here. Except for weekends, I'm on here for no more than 20 minutes a day, if even that sometimes. I don't see all the stuff that goes on, and if I did, you can be assured I would do something about it. I know the same goes for the rest of the staff.

Another thing to consider is that we just recently made the transition to this XenForo thing. From what I understand, a large part of the staff have been on Skype working on more global issues, like making the site more hack-proof, adding functionality back to the forum, and making it look nicer (I've been out of the loop due to my own busy workload--and because I forgot my Skype login info and haven't made a new account yet). Considering what they're working on right now, I think Sony threads can be put on the back burner.
Don't you go pointing fingers at gravity, mister! It's your fault!
Exactly :angry:

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it needs to be flogged more. I'm not happy with the behavior of some of this site's members, and I'm not alone. This needs to be said and I know the mods are working on it.

I have nothing personal against soulx, but he didn't exactly try to avoid this. He dug his own hole here and keeps digging. I'd be much more sympathetic to his complaints if he wasn't openly courting these reactions; no matter how benign your intentions are, basic pattern recognition should tell you how these things go by now.

But I've addressed this (and Guild's side, to be fair) elsewhere. No, I think the problem is that this isn't really accomplishing anything. We're wallowing in an already recognizable, obvious problem without truly trying to find ways to resolve it.

I'm just tired of being blamed for shit. It's like knocking a glass vase off the table and then blaming gravity for pulling it down to the ground and breaking it. People need to take some responsibility for their own damn actions.
In all fairness, that was 90% gravity.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You know what else is good about gravity? Bukkake. :creep:
...I mean, without gravity, all those noodles would just float around aimlessly...

...hey, maybe that's not such a bad thing. Imagine splashing someone in the face... Bukkake Style... In space. :creep:

Back to the main point though, it's not the moderator's fault that inflammatory responses or trollbait threads are created, however it's sort-of their responsibility to punish those involved. It's all a matter of weighing the pro's and con's of keeping a thread open. It's going to sound weird, but there needs to be moderation in moderation, you guys have quite a job right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol