Hacking Sorry, another "what cart should I buy?" thread.

johnnygeometry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I apologize for yet another "which cart should I buy?" thread.

I'm new to flash carts, and it seems like I'm a little late to the party. I've been doing my research on this site, but I'd like a little current advice. What are some good flash carts that are easily available right now? I was originally going to buy a supercard ds two, but it looks like those are sold out everywhere and who knows when the supercard plus will actually arrive. CycloDS and Acekard seem to be difficult or impossible to find, too. I'm thinking about an r4 Wood, as it seems to be the only real option. Anything else I should consider? I will probably also get an ez flash IV or 3 in 1 to play gba games. I think the IV just became available again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's a summary:

What I have: NDS lite
What I want: the ability to play gba and ds games. The kind of extras provided by the high end carts would certainly be nice, but not mandatory. The carts only need ds functionality. 3ds or dsi is unnecessary, but fine if ds lite is also supported
The problem: many carts are pretty much impossible to find today.
Question 1: Which are some good carts that are easily obtained as of today? (April '15)
Question 2: Which are the least shady sites that have these in stock?

Bonus Question: Are there any carts that’ll allow me to play gbc games on either ds or gba?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Question 1: You should get the R4i Gold 3DS by R4ids.cn. It's fast, has very good game support, (works on the latest 3DS firmware) etc.
Question 2: Depends where you live.
Question 3: Every DS card will support gbc games with lameboy or gameyob.

Reactions: Margen67

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
People stuggling to find a DSTwo shouldn't be afraid of buying one from non-US websites. It'll only take a few days longer to arrive and it is a better cart. Most Asian retailers are fully stocked.

johnnygeometry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I knew I forgot something. I live in the US.

DStwo seems to be unavailable absolutely everywhere, not just on US websites. I do not mind ordering from China or Germany or wherever. If you know a site that actually has it in stock, please let me know, even if it's on Mars.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Finding a DSTwo these days is akin to finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. So if you have no luck finding one you can get the following setup for your DS Lite, which will cost you less than a DSTwo.

R4i Gold 3DS RTS (r4ids.cn):
http://www.3dsgamerworld.com/r4i-gold-3ds-rts-for-3ds-3ds-xl-2ds-dsi-dsi-xl-p-2.html

EZ Flash 3-in-1:
http://www.3dsgamerworld.com/ez-flash-3-in-1-p-18.html

Use the Gameyob emulator for GBC games.

Don't forget when ordering, many R4 sellers no matter where they are based use payment merchants in a country where flash carts don't fall foul of the law, so you may incur a small charge (normally couple of dollars). Some folk don't realize this, and then appear on here calling various sellers scammers.

johnnygeometry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Gyron. That looks like a pretty sweet setup. I'm pretty much sold on the R4 Gold. Any particular reason you recommend the 3 in 1 over the IV?

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Gyron. That looks like a pretty sweet setup. I'm pretty much sold on the R4 Gold. Any particular reason you recommend the 3 in 1 over the IV?

You said you are using a DS Lite, so I said the 3-in-1 as it sits flush. The EZ-Flash IV will stick out slightly. But if you're planning on using an original GBA unit, get an EZ-Flash IV (micro SD ver.).

dslgbaez.jpg

Fulcaire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^ listen to everyone's advice. Side note; if you do decide to go with a EZ Flash V 3 in 1. I have one I'd be willing to sell for 25 shipped from CA thatsbarely ever used at all.. maybe once or twice at most honestly. PM If interested :)

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks, I knew I forgot something. I live in the US.

DStwo seems to be unavailable absolutely everywhere, not just on US websites. I do not mind ordering from China or Germany or wherever. If you know a site that actually has it in stock, please let me know, even if it's on Mars.
If you feel like navigating a Japanese website, this place has plenty http://www.gateway-3dsjp.com/product-31.html

Maybe use Google translate or something? Despite being a Japanese website they actually dispatch directly from the suppliers in China due to Japanese law.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
You said you are using a DS Lite, so I said the 3-in-1 as it sits flush. The EZ-Flash IV will stick out slightly. But if you're planning on using an original GBA unit, get an EZ-Flash IV (micro SD ver.).

View attachment 18067

why the hell does it have a border with game boy advance, are you using it under DS mode?

also, heres a picture of my ez iv because fun~~ (needs to be cleaned!)
14042015741.jpg

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you feel like navigating a Japanese website, this place has plenty http://www.gateway-3dsjp.com/product-31.html

Maybe use Google translate or something? Despite being a Japanese website they actually dispatch directly from the suppliers in China due to Japanese law.
Nope they don't have the DSTWO any more. "Item Number: SuperCard DS TWO Sold Out". The order button states that as well.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
why the hell does it have a border with game boy advance, are you using it under DS mode?

also, heres a picture of my ez iv because fun~~ (needs to be cleaned!)
View attachment 18071

It's a custom frame in GBA Exploader. If I launch in pure slot-2 the frame is gone, but I'm so used to it now I prefer GBA gaming with a frame.

Reactions: migles

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a custom frame in GBA Exploader. If I launch in pure slot-2 the frame is gone, but I'm so use to it now I prefer GBA gaming with a frame.

Any idea if there's a purple boarder like that one? you can use the custom frames in wood aswell just rename the image file name to gbaframe.bmp and place it inside the skin folder sdcard:/_rpg/ui/skin name/gbaframe.bmp

Also I do recommend the R4i Gold 3DS RTS from R4ids.cn and the EZ-Flash 3in1 combo I use it myself and it never fails.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get pokemon heart gold to read my ruby save file it detects it but always says corrupted but when I play ruby I can save no problem even though it always says the save file was corrupted restoring previous save file when loading and I only have to save once for the save to actually work. If anyone here knows how to get that to work PM me instead of going off topic.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any idea if there's a purple boarder like that one? you can use the custom frames in wood aswell just rename the image file name to gbaframe.bmp and place it inside the skin folder sdcard:/_rpg/ui/skin name/gbaframe.bmp

Also I do recommend the R4i Gold 3DS RTS from R4ids.cn and the EZ-Flash 3in1 combo I use it myself and it never fails.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get pokemon heart gold to read my ruby save file it detects it but always says corrupted but when I play ruby I can save no problem even though it always says the save file was corrupted restoring previous save file when loading and I only have to save once for the save to actually work. If anyone here knows how to get that to work PM me instead of going off topic.

Yeah, I know about using them in Wood. They use a 16 bit depth though whereas GBA Exploader/YSMenu uses 24. When I said launch in pure slot-2 to him, I meant with the R4 ejected. Here are some purple ones. I've put both the Wood and GBA Exploader/YSMenu versions up as they have different bit depths:

Purple 1 (Wood):
gbaframe%28purple1%29%28Wood%29.bmp

Purple 2 (Wood):
gbaframe%28purple2%29%28Wood%29.bmp

Purple 3 (Wood):
gbaframe%28purple3%29%28Wood%29.bmp

Purple 1 (GBA Exploader and YSMenu):
gbaframe%28purple1%29%28GBA%20Exploader%29.bmp

Purple 2 (GBA Exploader and YSMenu):
gbaframe%28purple2%29%28GBA%20Exploader%29.bmp

Purple 3 (GBA Exploader and YSMenu):
gbaframe%28purple3%29%28GBA%20Exploader%29.bmp

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for those :) if you have flashme v8 installed you can autoboot to the gbaslot when powering on with a slot-1 card inserted by holding a+b

You're welcome.
I've got flashme installed. It was a godsend a few years back. When all else had failed, I used its recovery mode (start+select) to revive a 3in1 that had garbage flashed to it's nor and was instantly white screening the DS when inserted.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're welcome.
I've got flashme installed. It was a godsend a few years back. When all else had failed, I used it's recovery mode (start+select) to revive a 3in1 that had garbage flashed to it's nor and was instantly white screening the DS when inserted.

yeah i've had that issue after try out DS Linux on the nor

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China

did you patched the heart gold rom to match the ez 3in1 ? pokemon ruby\emerald uses a flash type save.. 3in1 probably uses Sram...

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
did you patched the heart gold rom to match the ez 3in1 ? pokemon ruby\emerald uses a flash type save.. 3in1 probably uses Sram...

ruby is stored on the nor flash i'm unsure how it all works with it

Edit: are you talking about the diamond/pearl/platinum gba link patch? If so fast6191 had already informed me about this patch it doesn't work for HG/SS, there is a gba link patch option in Wood, that works with HG/SS but I can't get my ruby game to work properly

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
ruby is stored on the nor flash i'm unsure how it all works with it

Edit: are you talking about the diamond/pearl/platinum gba link patch? If so fast6191 had already informed me about this patch it doesn't work for HG/SS, there is a gba link patch option in Wood, that works with HG/SS but I can't get my ruby game to work properly

yes i mean that gba link patch.. if it doesn't work.. nothing you can do, i am afraid.. best bet is to use a D/P/Pt...

the "patch" on wood, probably is the equivalent of DSTWO option to enable\disable the communicaton with a gba game (doesnt matter wich one)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.