OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MIB.jpg

"Their MIB (lawyers in black suits) have landed, and the target is of course Mr. George Hotz aka "geohot"!

Recently "Geohot" had published the PS3 'root key' on his website, along with various 'signing tools' and samples of possible ways to install and run 'homebrew'

It seems Sony has decided they have had enough of this, and as of Jan. 11, 2011 have filed a lawsuit against Mr. George Hotz, which will be filed under the court docket of 'C 11-00167 JCS'!

We here at PSX-SCENE will be bringing you exclusive daily reports and filings from the Sony's Men-In-Black court case, and unlike Apple it seems Sony will not allow Geohot to walk all over their product with "Jailbreaking" the PS3 Console!"

Source

So do you think Geohot deserve's this? Or is this just Sony trying to save face after their "Epic Fail"

salnaruto2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short.
It Sony trying to hide the fact that they have an "epic fail" on their console.
I don't thing Geohot deserve it but I'm not sony.

Nayr Rosfar

White Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt Sony can win a lawsuit over a number that got leaked. I can see that they would be pissed though, but I don't think this can stick.

As far as I know, there are no "terms of use" that a person has to agree to when they buy a PS3, and keys aren't copyrightable, so Geohot didn't really do anything illegal.

Also I showed this article to a guy I know. he says they should hire Geohot because "if he is good enough to crack them, he should be good enough to come up with an even better protection."

XWildcat

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whats the point in sony doing this.... his patch doesnt allow pirated games only homebrew, wich would have been run on "other OS" if sony hadnt removed it....

Nayr Rosfar

White Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats a very good point wildcat. When OtherOS was around there was no need for this to happen. But Sony got scared that people would use it for piracy and removed it. And that's not fair to the homebrew users who used it honestly.

DasXero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony's stupid! First they make a very flawed security system, than it gets cracked, and they blame the guy who didn't even fully crack the thing! HE JUST RELEASED NUMBERS!

This ain't gonna get held up in court for crap.

EDIT: I read the article, there also going after fail0verflow, my bad!

Still ain't gonna get held up in court.

Gitaroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think Sony is just putting up a show for their 3rd party partners so it looks like they are actually doing something this time around after how things turn out for PSP. Does matter if they win or lose on this case at the end. They have to calm down all the investors and partners really.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gitaroo said:
I think Sony is just putting up a show for their 3rd party partners so it looks like they are actually doing something this time around after how things turn out for PSP. Does matter if they win or lose on this case at the end. They have to calm down all the investors and partners really.

My sentiments exactly.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
sony don't have a leg to stand on, he didn't fully unlock the ps3 anyway, he just enabled homebrew, nothing wrong with that.
they are sueing him over he tried to use it as a threat to gain employment

and also bypassing their protection in the system

anime4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TheDarkSeed said:
Sony is suing GeoHot over a fucking number. That's as real as it gets.

You can have copyrights on a some liquor( lets day Coka Cola(even if did not do it)). It dosen,t change the fact that it's still some ingredients you could get. If some got Coka Cola recipe, Coka Cola could go down(I don't know the right word in english).

Same thing with the numbers.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Prince of Codes said:
I doubt Sony can win a lawsuit over a number that got leaked. I can see that they would be pissed though, but I don't think this can stick.

As far as I know, there are no "terms of use" that a person has to agree to when they buy a PS3, and keys aren't copyrightable, so Geohot didn't really do anything illegal.

Also I showed this article to a guy I know. he says they should hire Geohot because "if he is good enough to crack them, he should be good enough to come up with an even better protection."

That is where you would be 100% incorrect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_prime

Under the DMCA the distribution of that prime number is considered illegal as it is a digital cypto circumvention.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Prince of Codes said:
You have to accept the TOS when you updated the firmware.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
they are sueing him over he tried to use it as a threat to gain employment

and also bypassing their protection in the system
If that's true then there's no way it holds up. He just said if they wanted better security they should hire him. As far as I know, making a suggestion isn't blackmailing. There's no chance Sony wins this and Sony knows it. I agree that they're just putting on a show for all the people who care.

Zerox8610

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they want, they can win. I'm guessing there will be a deal between Geohot and Sony.
Sony has a team of top dollar lawyers. Geohot.... idk how much the guy makes, but it can't be enough to defend against that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.