Sony Drops "The Interview" after North Korean hack, threats

Deleted member 357656

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yea, they landed a man on the sun but it was ok as they went at night time.

'at night time'
Sw2ksdX.jpg

Reactions: driverdis

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yes, the whole "Let's make up some fake story about North Korea being behind a hacking and then threaten terrorist attacks on moviegoers" strategy. FFS. The U.S. government has done some pretty stupid things in the past (and continues to do them), but you guys need to stop being so god damned paranoid. This is not a U.S. government conspiracy. This is not a Sony publicity stunt. How fucking stupid could you be?

i guess we will know if sony was involved when this "michael lynton" file is released ,if there is anything truly damaging in it or not
pretty funny how this happens and they immediately blame best korea
pretty funny how TPB gets raided right after these supposed leaks

hollywood big media corporations and US government are all so in bed together they may as well be the same entity
they always work hand ,so many movies are just state propaganda pieces and military recruitment tools
like zero dark 30

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not say disregard, sure every threat needs to be taken seriously, but dropping / cancelling / whatever in advance is not the solution, that way every lunatic can do a threat if he/she wants something done or cancelled. If you follow that logic, it would mean a economic and social standstill in the whole world eventually.

But there's not that many lunatics and if there are threats by them, they are taken seriously and often results in closings.

If someone says they're going to bomb a school, regardless of credibility, that school gets closed and everyone gets evacuated.

Come back when its your well-being on the line and tell them to "grow some balls." I'd rather ensure the safety of people than show a movie at theaters.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think people would turn this story into some kind of conspiracy. I guess when people get bored enough they're capable of anything.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But there's not that many lunatics and if there are threats by them, they are taken seriously and often results in closings.

If someone says they're going to bomb a school, regardless of credibility, that school gets closed and everyone gets evacuated.

Come back when its your well-being on the line and tell them to "grow some balls." I'd rather ensure the safety of people than show a movie at theaters.

Hmm, i somehow felt the need to reply here, but only once.

You can hardly compare a school with cancelling a movie.
You also need to look at each threat individually, sometimes closing down is needed yes, but not always.

I think i need to mention now that i am able to see all threats that come in to 911 in my country.
I know also how they handle the threats at that moment. You would be surprised how many come in but do not make it to the news.
I don't want to give the wrong impression, i do think precaution is always the way to go.

Well, lets all hope that the ones responsible for the threats are taking care of asap. so we can enjoy our freedom again..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The video on demand thing has me curious.

A few years back various cinema owners/chains threatened a boycott because some comedy film, one that nobody would remember the next year and nobody expected to remember next year either, I think it was was set to be released to a streaming service but a few weeks later (at not inconsiderable price but I am just as familiar with slippery slope concepts so I can see something there). Various things also happened for something similarly happening to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2 which is what I am finding from a search right now. This would be a great method to force that through as going against it would probably cost the cinema owners serious face.

Now I am certainly not calling conspiracy, however actively and consciously burying bad news, lemonade from lemons or something along those lines is far more of a possibility. Of course I am very much of the opinion that cinema owners can adapt or die and I am not shedding any tears as they all seem to have taken the second route.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, i somehow felt the need to reply here, but only once.

You can hardly compare a school with cancelling a movie.
You also need to look at each threat individually, sometimes closing down is needed yes, but not always.

I think i need to mention now that i am able to see all threats that come in to 911 in my country.
I know also how they handle the threats at that moment. You would be surprised how many come in but do not make it to the news.
I don't want to give the wrong impression, i do think precaution is always the way to go.

Well, lets all hope that the ones responsible for the threats are taking care of asap. so we can enjoy our freedom again..
So basically, money over people?

Think about it legitmately.

NK has made threats before, even if they were "empty" that doesn't mean that in the future they still will be empty. (Waging a war over a movie tho would be extremely reckless tho)
But there's the possibility of a huge number of lives being targeted, just to see that movie. You would take that risk and show the movie despite millions of people being in danger?
That's completely insensitive. Do you know how grand the responsibility Sony would have to take of the attacks were to happen? Not to mention its reputation would be greatly shunned for passing down such a move and potentially sacrificing people's lives in the process.

I don't think that Sony caved in by the pirates, I think they made the right decision and take a precaution at this. just my 2 cents tho

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Good thing these pussies weren't around in WWII or we'd all be speaking German.
not that I agree with you, but... in my opinion, "target" nations for terrorism have 1% of real and justified fear and 99% of pointless paranoia, but this dont change the fact that, for authorities, the "better save than sorry" stuff need to be a rule, simply because it still save lives...

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not that I agree with you, but... in my opinion, "target" nations for terrorism have 1% of real and justified fear and 99% of pointless paranoia, but this dont change the fact that, for authorities, the "better save than sorry" stuff need to be a rule, simply because it still save lives...

The chance a terrorist attack happens in the western world is very slim considering all the facts but the fear is still there just knowing there is a small chance shit could happen

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but muh freedums !
another flawless argument. If you'd rather submit to cowardice and sacrifice your freedoms for the illusion of security, that's on you. In America, we value our freedom. As one of our founding fathers put it, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Reactions: Etheboss

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think people would turn this story into some kind of conspiracy. I guess when people get bored enough they're capable of anything.
One could consider the official story a conspiracy theory with the evidence linking the attack to North Korea being as flimsy to nonexistent as it is. Besides, what kind of nation-state attack announces itself with an image of a blazing skeleton?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: