Hacking Sony could be spying on you through your PSVita

masterchan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It turns out that PSVita users might potentially have privacy issues with Sony, that's related to the following:

1- Sony forces a PSVita software update to the latest version in order to use PSVita's Content Manager.
2- Content Manager needs to be connected to the Internet in order to work, even to copy a single music file to/from the PSVita.
3- Content Manager checks for the PSVita having the latest software version in order to work.
4- Content Manager could be (and probably is) connected to Sony's servers and sending logging information about anything being done on the PSVita.
5- There is no clear statement or deceleration from Sony to confirm that they are not collecting information from PSVitas through their Content Manager, or explaining what they would do with such information.
6- Sony could probably detect possible software exploits (and fix them) at early stages of development and even before their actual public releases by collecting file access and logging information from PSVitas through Content Manager.

Therefore, It might be required to hack Content Manager BEFORE making any actual progress on hacking the PSVita itself.

For more information check : http://wololo.net/wagic/

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Could probably be worked around with a proxy I'd guess. Sniff the traffic to see what it does when it connects, use local proxy to simulate normal response.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I like that kind of logic, I really do. Sony are spying on you because they didn't say they are not. And checking for the firmware version and whether there are any naughty exploits being used is now considered invasion of privacy, too.

Get a grip and actually CHECK what the traffic is before you post your Anti-Sony, Fanboy-smelling theories anywhere.

This is exactly what happened when someone accused Nintendo of using materials comming from unfair manufacturers (child labour and whatnot) because they didn't outwardly state that they are not using any.

Reactions: 10 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Am I cool enough to hate on Sony too?
You need to be 20% cooler. But don't worry, all it takes is wearing a pair of shades.

EDIT: I can tell you what the traffic is without even checking, call me a fortune teller.

It sends your username, because your console requests access to the database. Then, it sends your firmware version, compares it to the latest and updates the console if necessary, removing all possible exploits at the same time. If any alterations recognized by Sony are detected during the process, your console/username is likely to become flagged as potentially naughty. Why? Because last time, with the PSP, Sony left the USB port wide open, leading to complete obliteration of all their defenses.

They don't want that to happen. This is also why it requires an Internet connection - they want to keep their "possible exploit" database always up-to-date. That, and they want to minimize what you can do with the I/O port as much as humanly possible and survey any activity that may be going on. This can be and obviously will be circumvented soon enough, I'm just stating the obvious here.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted-236924

And that, folks, is an example of bad DRM.
Some users don't have access to an internet connection (A small minority, but they do exist.)
They won't be able to do a simple task like transferring some music to the PS Vita.

I understand Sony's motives, since this does help preventing people from copying unauthorized stuff to their memory card.
But if it requires an internet connection for something that shouldn't require one, it automatically means some legit users are going to be hindered.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And that, folks, is an example of bad DRM.
Some users don't have access to an internet connection (A small minority, but they do exist.)
They won't be able to do a simple task like transferring some music to the PS Vita.

I understand Sony's motives, since this does help preventing people from copying unauthorized stuff to their memory card.
But if it requires an internet connection for something that shouldn't require one, it automatically means some legit users are going to be hindered.

Please tell me who could possibly be interested in having the Vita and NOT having any kind of internet connection nowadays, in our Network Society? That said, yeah, it does limit the capabilities of the console provided that someone without any internet connection at all would be interested in getting a console.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Please tell me who could possibly be interested in having the Vita and NOT having any kind of internet connection nowadays?
They sell cartridge games.
That's not my point. My point is, nowadays hardly anyone doesn't have an internet connection of some sort, and if this "theoretical person" doesn't, that it's likely he or she has more important problems to worry about, like debt etc.

It's interesting how everyone's quick to judge Sony on this one while nobody speaks of the issues they adressed. For example, the content manager allows you to create backup copies of your games and software. Isn't *that* a cool feature? Wasn't the possibility to create backups of your UMD's the whole "fuss" with the PSP?

masterchan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
PSVita is promoted with the functionality of viewing photos, and playing videos and music, thus, PSVita users should be able to use those promoted features even when they are offline, unless Sony clearly mention that every PSVia has to be online to function properly.
I also think that exposing your own personal content (even as basically as their file names) to anyone without your knowledge/approval cannot be considered a form of DRM. I believe there should be a clarification statement from Sony describing what exactly is being collected/sent to their servers and why.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The content manager is in the testing phase, I do believe that when the "final" product is in circulation world-wide, having to be online will be a thing of the past.

As far as "exposing your personal content" is concerned, I'm pretty sure that you have to agree to an EULA before installing the manager, am I correct? Have you read its contents by any chance before agreeing?

Also, "collected" is a nasty word - it implies that Sony gathers that sort of data, and you don't know whether they are or not. The manager may be simply checking the content with an angle towards exploiting or hacking without actually sending it anywhere - it can do it natively y'see, and only send a signal that suspicious content was found in a given file, like an anti-virus program checks files for infections.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Please tell me who could possibly be interested in having the Vita and NOT having any kind of internet connection nowadays?
They sell cartridge games.
That's not my point. My point is, nowadays hardly anyone doesn't have an internet connection of some sort, and if this "theoretical person" doesn't, that it's likely he or she has more important problems to worry about, like debt etc.

It's interesting how everyone's quick to judge Sony on this one while nobody speaks of the issues they adressed. For example, the content manager allows you to create backup copies of your games and software. Isn't *that* a cool feature? Wasn't the possibility to create backups of your UMD's the whole "fuss" with the PSP?

I don't have internet.... oh wait...
But seriously though, I have a lot of friends who own Xbox's and Ps3's and Nintendo devices, all of the latest stuff and don't have internet. Mostly because Internet in New Zealand is too expensive for what you get compared to the rest of the world, so INSTEAD they buy consoles which is providing them with entertainment without the hefty cost of 100's of dollars a month just to have internet.

Reactions: 2 people

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The ignorance in this thread is painful. Hey guys, let me show you something interesting.

That's my drive to class. Not exactly a conglomeration of wifi cafes!

Also, even though I have internet at home, it tends to go out for periods of 1-15 minutes multiple times a day.

It's estimated 20-40% of US households with internet aren't even on broadband (depending on the report you read).
http://www.websiteop...on.com/bw/1107/
http://www.slate.com...of_service.html
http://news.cnet.com...0454133-94.html

An example? Vulpes Abnocto? Dialup.

And that's the people WITH internet at their home.
Even as recently as 2008 it was estimated 18% of people in the US have NO internet at home.
http://www.webpronew...-access-2008-05

A 2010 stat puts that at 23% (due to multiple factors such as economy issues and people moving to where decent net is not available).
http://www.internetw...s.com/am/us.htm

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Well the spying thing has me worried as well (at least, I will confirm the possibility is there of some spying, but am waiting for sniffers to dis/prove it as well), I was just commenting on the "wut how can u not have internet that doesn't make sense lol" mentality in this thread.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Rydian: I really doubt if you don't have internet especially due to economic issues that you wont be buying a Vita. As for those with shitty internet, they have $250+ of spending cash but wont upgrade to a decent internet? I never thought it was that hard or ballbusting to get a good provider around here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol