Gaming Sonic Forces demo out !

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heard on Reddit it was three different levels in which you could only play twenty seconds of each as much as you like. Dunno how true that is, but it was on the switch Reddit which is fairly reliable.

Yoshi9288

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Demo is really really short. You have 3 Levels but you can play only 60 Seconds per level so it is Totally not worth the Download.

NatsumiX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really isn't worth it to waste space for this, not only because you can only play a minute but also because you really just hold one button all the time, aka Boost or Up.
I like Sonic, even his worst games (STH 06) but damn, the level design and everything is just bleh.
Well, if you can even call a straight line level design.

Last edited by NatsumiX,
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It really isn't worth it to waste space for this, not only because you can only play a minute but also because you really just hold one button all the time, aka Boost or Up.
I like Sonic, even his worst games (STH 06) but damn, the level design and everything is just bleh.
I was pretty skeptical of Sonic getting two good games in a row. Sonic is like the Browns (NFL) of gaming franchises. They actually put one W in the books with Mania.

Reactions: zoogie and NatsumiX

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Always thought Sonic Forces looked like a long overdue Generations DLC.. What Iv'e seen so far hasn't changed my mind :P

Sonic Mania was great though :)

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair in all Sonic games you either hold one direction and then jump when ever you need to.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To be fair in all Sonic games you either hold one direction and then jump when ever you need to.
It's a little more complicated than that in 2D Sonic. There are sections where you have to go medium speed, slow speed, stop, or spin dash. Even Generations was more involved than that.

NatsumiX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair in all Sonic games you either hold one direction and then jump whe
n ever you need to.
Eh i dunno, Classic had a lot of platforming, take a look at S3 and Mania. Many different paths, lots of exploring and platforming.
Sometimes you had to time your jumps or spindashes to be rewarded.

Sure, there are moments where you only hold forward, but really, those moments are there to build speed to get to higher paths and getting time bonuses.

Then there's Adventure, which did Classic gameplay in 3D just right. Sonic wasn't limited to a scripted spline except when he went through loops.

Honestly, Sega should get a new team for their sonic games, at least modern.
Take a look at fangames that are made by 2-3 people, lets say Utopia.
It's just a sandbox demo at the moment but already feels and plays better than everything sega has made in the past 10 years.

Also, i really wish sega would stop using Havok for physic, it just doesn't work.

What levels are available in this demo? If its either Sunset Heights, Green Hill, or Park Avenue then it shouldn't count, its just the first level.
Green Hill Modern, Green Hill Boss for Classic and the Chemical Plant zone for Avatar.
Might be the first zones in the game but everything that got shown already looks the same.

Last edited by NatsumiX,

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh i dunno, Classic had a lot of platforming, take a look at S3 and Mania. Many different paths, lots of exploring and platforming.
Sometimes you had to time your jumps or spindashes to be rewarded.

Sure, there are moments where you only hold forward, but really, those moments are there to build speed to get to higher paths and etc.

Then there's Adventure, which did Classic gameplay in 3D just right. Sonic wasn't limited to a scripted spline except when he went through loops.

Honestly, Sega should get a new team for their sonic games, at least modern.
Take a look at fangames that are made by 2-3 people, lets say Utopia.
It's just a sandbox demo at the moment but already feels and plays better than everything sega has made in the past 10 years.

Green Hill Modern, Green Hill Boss for Classic and the Chemical Plant zone for Avatar.
Ah makes sense, still its only 60 seconds of play time. Utopia tbh is very bland its just praised because it was 3D and not by SEGA. Look at Green Hill Paradise Act 2. It looked like someone got a model and just enlarged it in 3DSMax. Mania, even tho many people will bash me for this, seemed like a let down for me tbh, and I got bored right after Press Garden. As someone who personally loves Sonic, I feel like SA2 was also bad tbh. The physics were horrible and the graphics were kinda bad, choosing photographed textures instead of making new ones with a fitting aesthetic. Every where SA1 excelled it beat SA2 and vice versa. That makes those duo of games seem very flawed. Sonic Heroes and Shadow games personally were better (except for the part of Shadow using guns) Sonic Unleashed imo is the definitive Modern Sonic experience with S3K being the best classic game.

Reactions: NatsumiX
D

Deleted User

GameExplain just did a video, that 1 minute time limit in each stage is fucking HILARIOUS! Who in their right mind thought THAT counted as a fucking DEMO?!

Reactions: rileysrjay and Xzi

NatsumiX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah makes sense, still its only 60 seconds of play time. Utopia tbh is very bland its just praised because it was 3D and not by SEGA. Look at Green Hill Paradise Act 2. It looked like someone got a model and just enlarged it in 3DSMax. Mania, even tho many people will bash me for this, seemed like a let down for me tbh, and I got bored right after Press Garden. As someone who personally loves Sonic, I feel like SA2 was also bad tbh. The physics were horrible and the graphics were kinda bad, choosing photographed textures instead of making new ones with a fitting aesthetic. Every where SA1 excelled it beat SA2 and vice versa. That makes those duo of games seem very flawed. Sonic Heroes and Shadow games personally were better (except for the part of Shadow using guns) Sonic Unleashed imo is the definitive Modern Sonic experience with S3K being the best classic game.
Mania was also a big let down for me... also because it's just a prelude to forces.
It was Generations 2, Forces is just Generations 3.

About Utopia, yeah it was bland but like i said, it was merely a sandbox demo to test physics.
Green Hill Act 2 is just every single UDK/GDK mess.

Unleashed, is still my favorite modern sonic game, it was just fun.. except the werehog battle music that repeats every second, fuck that.

i like sonic but this thing is trash, it looks like a mobile game wtf
*cough*
https://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/sonic-forces-speed-battle/id1262362476?mt=8

Reactions: BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mania was also a big let down for me... also because it's just a prelude to forces.
It was Generations 2, Forces is just Generations 3.

About Utopia, yeah it was bland but like i said, it was merely a sandbox demo to test physics.
Green Hill Act 2 is just every single UDK/GDK mess.

Unleashed, is still my favorite modern sonic game, it was just fun.. except the werehog battle music that repeats every second, fuck that.

*cough*
https://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/sonic-forces-speed-battle/id1262362476?mt=8
exaclty

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a little more complicated than that in 2D Sonic. There are sections where you have to go medium speed, slow speed, stop, or spin dash. Even Generations was more involved than that.
Thank you for telling these people that. I think since most 3D sonic games have reputation for doing what the previous person said, that why people think that. 2D SONIC is about Solid level design and challenging platforming that is broken down into different sections in a huge level featured in each of the act/zones. Is not about just going one way. Yes in 2D a general rule would be to go from left to right but is not all that simple. Is that way so you don't get lost. Unlike metroid where they give you a map and you could get lost.

Directly from the official Sonic Mania Manual itself, even tells the player that this is intended. "There are many possible routes through each act. Routes vary in difficulty, as well as reward." Depending how you progress through the stage, you can find it challenging and difficult with some good payoff at the end (either some useful items or taking huge shortcuts) or easier way that can be the simple and casual way and make progress longer.

011.jpg

sv3z23.png

This has been how all 2D sonic games are, is only the 3D sonic games where is more linear than it should have been, even though they tried to keep it interesting with those power up items like light speed dash, and such. You would figure good things come from most 3D games, bigger environment, bigger places to explore, some cool secret areas, but I guess sega didn't really know what to do with a 3D sonic game. Look at these maps, 2D sonic was like leagues above most things at the time. Is anything but simple. :P

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That 1 minute limit was sad. You could barely do a full blink and your time already ended. It's literally a demo of the demo :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @realtimesave why did you get several MIG?