Sonic 3D Blast Director's Cut Released

Jon Burton, founder of Traveller's Tales and a leading figure behind many of its games, has just released a patch for Sonic 3D Blast (or Sonic 3D Flickies' Island, if you're living over in Europe) title "Sonic 3D Blast: Director's Cut." This patch includes multiple improvements over the original game, touting better controls, a world map, and Super Sonic, among other features.

Prior to release, Burton has documented the development of the patch for quite some time, originally announcing it in a 25,000 Subscribers video on his GameHut YouTube channel. Improvements to the game were announced as development gradually progressed.

The patch is available (in XDELTA format) on here. Do keep in mind that this is a patch, and does not contain any of the original ROM data.

Happy playing, and a big thanks to Jon Burton for making this all possible!

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why did you hate it?

One of the main reasons this patch exists - janky ass controls and camera movement. Game play is a bit dry but that's OK, not really a huge issue. But when you can't keep track of the level boss because you're sliding all over the place, the camera angle is terrible and doesn't do any favors to help track the boss, it makes for a really underwhelming and even frustrating experience.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Throwing in my two cents. I actually liked Sonic 3D Blast...for the Saturn. Honestly, I didn't mind the slower pacing of the game per se but did get frustrated with the collision detection. I also like the Saturn music better, so I can't really see if the Genesis music is more appropriate or not. Oh, and I also liked Sonic R, so *shrug* on my taste in Sonic games.

As for the hate? I'd say at least 50% of it is simply the way in which it's "Sonic Themed" 3D Blast more than really "Sonic" 3D Blast. Same thing with Sonic R. If you can take a step back and view it that way--and try to ignore the way it looks like a cash grab on the Sonic name--, you might have a chance at enjoying it. The other 50% of course is the actual gameplay since it really is rather hard to control, has janky controls, and questionable camera movement.

It's really hard to make a fair review of it for me now, though. I used to be a lot more tolerant of such games. Now, I'd probably just pass on and move to another game. Having said that, playing the game now with the patch so far, it does play a lot better. It's still too slippery, though. :/

Reactions: DarthDub

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn