Sonic 3D Blast Director's Cut Released

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N, Nov 21, 2017.

1. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    I was wondering when someone was gonna make a post about this lol. Posted to shoutbox few days ago.

2. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    One of the main reasons this patch exists - janky ass controls and camera movement. Game play is a bit dry but that's OK, not really a huge issue. But when you can't keep track of the level boss because you're sliding all over the place, the camera angle is terrible and doesn't do any favors to help track the boss, it makes for a really underwhelming and even frustrating experience.

3. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Throwing in my two cents. I actually liked Sonic 3D Blast...for the Saturn. Honestly, I didn't mind the slower pacing of the game per se but did get frustrated with the collision detection. I also like the Saturn music better, so I can't really see if the Genesis music is more appropriate or not. Oh, and I also liked Sonic R, so *shrug* on my taste in Sonic games.

As for the hate? I'd say at least 50% of it is simply the way in which it's "Sonic Themed" 3D Blast more than really "Sonic" 3D Blast. Same thing with Sonic R. If you can take a step back and view it that way--and try to ignore the way it looks like a cash grab on the Sonic name--, you might have a chance at enjoying it. The other 50% of course is the actual gameplay since it really is rather hard to control, has janky controls, and questionable camera movement.

It's really hard to make a fair review of it for me now, though. I used to be a lot more tolerant of such games. Now, I'd probably just pass on and move to another game. Having said that, playing the game now with the patch so far, it does play a lot better. It's still too slippery, though. :/

DarthDub likes this.
  4. jimmyj

jimmyj Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj

May 26, 2017
    Italy
    Hyrule
    so is the sonic 3d blast source code public???

5. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    No it's not.
    The guy is one of the founders of Traveller's Tales, the company who made the Genesis port, so I assume he worked on the hack via the source code, but he didn't distribute it.

6. Termer

Termer Offensive Memelord Programmer

Apr 26, 2017
    United States
    Kekistan
    I always thought the game was cool. I used to play it a lot on my laptop.

7. Infinity7

Infinity7 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2017
    United States
    I'm excited, the beta worked really well.