Suggestion Something needs to be done about spam.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Lately there have been some malicious users spamming the site, but even before, occasionally there is 'generic' spam, like most forums get.
Can we not make the first 5, the first 10 posts of a user hidden and need to be approved by a mod to be shown?
So, other users will see nothing, or simply see 'awaiting moderation'.
And once a mod comes along and looks in the list, they can either approve the user/post or ban them.

It seems other forums have some things like this, why can't we have it here?
Is it too much work or something?

I just hate seeing people post junk here :)

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted User

Agreed. Whats funny is, im watching people in this thread formulate the idea of having a custom group for slightly elivated members. An idea I've pitched to staff a few times but they refuse to consider. To much work to set up or something.
I can see why it'd be considered too hard. I've used XenForo a little bit and the permissions system sucks major ass.

Reactions: Queno138 and WeedZ
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You know what really needs to be done? People need to start getting warnings/suspensions for bumping spam. There doesn't seem to be any real punishment, either that or the same people just don't care and keep doing it.
Not only that it bumps spam, but it gives the spammer more motivation to continue doing whatever he's doing.

Reactions: Deleted User

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what really needs to be done? People need to start getting warnings/suspensions for bumping spam. There doesn't seem to be any real punishment, either that or the same people just don't care and keep doing it.
Well, the spammer is pretty much absolved of all punishment, why should they fear punishment that they see isn't working? Imagine being able to teleport and change identities at will. Jail isn't so scary now, is it?

Reactions: Queno138

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, the spammer is pretty much absolved of all punishment, why should they fear punishment that they see isn't working? Imagine being able to teleport and change identities at will. Jail isn't so scary now, is it?
The thing is, bumping spam is against the rules, thus doing it should come with a punishment. And it actually might slow some spammers down. The person doing these recent attacks are obviously doing it for attention. Take that attention away and they will get bored and leave. The more people keep feeding them, the more likely they will keep posting.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Not only that it bumps spam, but it gives the spammer more motivation to continue doing whatever he's doing.
I don't think it matters. People see it and get annoyed and that's probably good enough for the troll. In fact, this reaction thread alone probably fuels him as well.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, bumping spam is against the rules, thus doing it should come with a punishment. And it actually might slow some spammers down. The person doing these recent attacks are obviously doing it for attention. Take that attention away and they will get bored and leave. The more people keep feeding them, the more likely they will keep posting.
Fuckin a

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think it matters. People see it and get annoyed and that's probably good enough for the troll. In fact, this reaction thread alone probably fuels him as well.

Agreed. However, the fact that so many members here have been giving him so much attention is the main reason why he's still going on with his spamming game.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Refer to my previous post

But we could take away from this thread that at least the community is trying. There's a problem and the community wants to address it. It's nice to know that the community cares enough to actually try.

Last edited by The Catboy,

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The easiest way to prevent spam is to hit the report button, write in "spam thread" or "known spammer" and whatever you do, don't reply.

Some people will have to learn this the hard way. It is against the rules to bump spam.

Moreover, people that post multiple times in a spam thread, adding fuel to the shitstorm engine should definitely be receiving some sort of negative repercussions. I don't think that every person that replies should be handed a warning or suspension necessarily, obviously it's going to need some sort of disgression applied to make sure you're hitting the right people, but I do think that more people need to be hit. There's a reason p1ngpong made a thread in all caps called "DO NOT BUMP SPAM", is what I'm saying. These posts have no value, and only serve to feed the troll and by bumping it, draw more attention to the thread, and thus, feed the troll more.

Basically, it's time to stop. Let the troll die.

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Small idea.
The community works together to control the first 10 posts of every account.
Anyone with 1000+ posts can approve/deny the posts, and 5 people need to agree on a ruling for it to go through.
Just pissing in the wind here.
If soemone is obviously trolling, take the privileges away.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The easiest way to prevent spam is to hit the report button, write in "spam thread" or "known spammer" and whatever you do, don't reply.

Some people will have to learn this the hard way. It is against the rules to bump spam.

Moreover, people that post multiple times in a spam thread, adding fuel to the shitstorm engine should definitely be receiving some sort of negative repercussions. I don't think that every person that replies should be handed a warning or suspension necessarily, obviously it's going to need some sort of disgression applied to make sure you're hitting the right people, but I do think that more people need to be hit. There's a reason p1ngpong made a thread in all caps called "DO NOT BUMP SPAM", is what I'm saying. These posts have no value, and only serve to feed the troll and by bumping it, draw more attention to the thread, and thus, feed the troll more.

Basically, it's time to stop. Let the troll die.
My thought is, how you going to convince people to not reply to it. Any reprimand from staff against people just posting is likely to create more of these spammers and general unease. Accusations of abusive staff and whatnot.

I agree that there are things that the community can't avoid, and that we should change how we react to spammers, noobs, etc. to keep it in check. But again, how do you get everyone one the same page?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Small idea.
The community works together to control the first 10 posts of every account.
Anyone with 1000+ posts can approve/deny the posts, and 5 people need to agree on a ruling for it to go through.
Just pissing in the wind here.
If soemone is obviously trolling, take the privileges away.
I think that's more burdensome to the community than you realize.

A good idea might be to have mod approval for thread-making on < 50 post accounts and no profile posts during that period as well.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
My thought is, how you going to convince people to not reply to it. Any reprimand from staff against people just posting is likely to create more of these spammers and general unease. Accusations of abusive staff and whatnot.

I agree that there are things that the community can't avoid, and that we should change how we react to spammers, noobs, etc. to keep it in check. But again, how do you get everyone one the same page?
Enforce the rules, and quit making exceptions.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Spamming can be an issue here; but it doesn't happen all the time, it happens on every forum. You can't just expect there not to be spam, there will be spam; and eventually a mod will delete it. Sure, there may be some posts that should be hidden right when it's posted, but for now--all you can do is report it. It's up to the staff to delete it and decide who else should come on board to the staff train to delete that mess. We need to build a wall between GBAtemp and the ones who are annoying. #MakeGBATempGreatAgain #MakeGBAtempSafeAgain

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...