Someone gave me an original modded Xbox.. now what? 0_0

GM Otomon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ah right. I've not used Avalaunch, but ftp settings tend to be much the same across all the dashboards.

Are you connecting directly between the xbox and pc? Not through a router? A lot of the old guides assume you are making a direct connection. You really shouldn't have to change anything pc side if you are going through a router, only stuff on the xbox side.

Anyway. It looks like avalunch sets most of it's stuff via an .xml config with no option to adjust from avalunch itself, which is a bit shit.

Does avalaunch show an ip at all in the bottom corner when it has booted? It should be easy enough to get it working, once we know where we stand (direct connection/router, showing ip or not etc).

I actually figured it out! I used this guide in case anyone ever has this problem:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?/topic/183856-networking-your-xbox-the-best-guide-so-far/

The only problem thus far... whne I load the emulators, instead of showing the emulator in the middle of the screen, it shows them on the top left and off screen... so all I see is -oms and ystem below that on that top left... no idea why! I am loading the emulators by using Avlaunchers File Manager instead of the Emulator option, since they do not show up there, am I supossed to put em on a specific folder?

EDIT: I also noticed gaves wont save :(

Last edited by GM Otomon,

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
3)Can I run PAL games in my NTSC system? I know softmodded Wii bypasses region but not sure with Xbox

I believe so. Just buy a genuine import disc (for testing purposes), then play it without any ripping or burning.

Some PAL games might contain undocumented 480p support.
But I'm not sure what 50hz-only games do on an NTSC system.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I actually figured it out! I used this guide in case anyone ever has this problem:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?/topic/183856-networking-your-xbox-the-best-guide-so-far/

The only problem thus far... whne I load the emulators, instead of showing the emulator in the middle of the screen, it shows them on the top left and off screen... so all I see is -oms and ystem below that on that top left... no idea why! I am loading the emulators by using Avlaunchers File Manager instead of the Emulator option, since they do not show up there, am I supossed to put em on a specific folder?

EDIT: I also noticed gaves wont save :(

If you've been stuffing E: full of stuff, it's possible you are out of space as that's where saves normally are.

Emulators, not showing as you won't have set up a directory for them in the avalaunch.xml file. It may have a default which will normally be E:\emulators and f:\emultors. Try ftping in and making an emulator folder on E: and then putting the different emulator folders in there. If not, ftp in and pull the avalaunch.xml file off and see where it expects them, if there's no folder set, you'll have to set it there.

I believe so. Just buy a genuine import disc (for testing purposes), then play it without any ripping or burning.

Some PAL games might contain undocumented 480p support.
But I'm not sure what 50hz-only games do on an NTSC system.

IIRC it depends on the game and how you've set the system up. Most of the dashboards can be set to switch the video mode as needed, so will just display it correctly at 50Hz. Of course that's assuming NTSCs aren't still shit and ntsc only, rather than multi-format.

If it's the former and you force them to 60, then it depends on the game. Halo (PAL version is shockingly 50Hz only) will stutter and glitch, others will just black screen and refuse to play.

GM Otomon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you've been stuffing E: full of stuff, it's possible you are out of space as that's where saves normally are.

Emulators, not showing as you won't have set up a directory for them in the avalaunch.xml file. It may have a default which will normally be E:\emulators and f:\emultors. Try ftping in and making an emulator folder on E: and then putting the different emulator folders in there. If not, ftp in and pull the avalaunch.xml file off and see where it expects them, if there's no folder set, you'll have to set it there.

I did as you said, and the emulators finally show up after setting them on the right folder. But the problem of one of the emulators showing everything on the top left persists, it may because its an all in one emulator, going to try a specific emulator for each system instead...and no the Xbox is not even half full, so i dont think that is the problem of why its not saving, it may have been cause the emulator was in the wrong folder, im gonna try another emulator and see if problem is fixed.

GM Otomon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay so I managed to figure out how to save, you just need to have the right folders set up, which none of the emulators tell you to do... the instructions are always just dump everything on your E drive lol so now I can play games and save :) Although FCE Nintendo emulator wont do regular saves but only save states, the emulator is set to default to automatically load latest save state, so Im guessing it was done on purpose.

Anyways I pretty much achieved what I wanted to do. I am just curious why everytime I boot the Xbox, it tells me "Your F drive is running low on memory" I havent put any files on that partition.. in fact on Avalaunch File manager, its just shows as an Error 0_0 Also... I installed Avalaunch without "unistalling" EvoX, any idea how to go about doing this? I am guessing it is taking up space, do I just delete files on C drive or what?

Last edited by GM Otomon,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyways I pretty much achieved what I wanted to do. I am just curious why everytime I boot the Xbox, it tells me "Your F drive is running low on memory" I havent put any files on that partition.. in fact on Avalaunch File manager, its just shows as an Error 0_0 Also... I installed Avalaunch without "unistalling" EvoX, any idea how to go about doing this? I am guessing it is taking up space, do I just delete files on C drive or what?

F: is not a standard partition on a stock xbox hdd.

So it's either complaining about low space, because the previous owner unlocked the extra 2GB on that drive (which becomes F:) and it's full. If you don't see F: when you ftp in, then it's not this.

If there is no F:, then it's just complaining because F: doesn't exist so it thinks it is low. There's probably an option either in avalanch or it's .xml file to stop it looking for F:.

evox you can just just delete the evoxdash.xbe + any other files relating to it. I would leave it though. It won't be taking up that much space and the bios has a boot order of .xbe to look for. If avalaunch is booting, then it's first in the boot order, so I would leave evox. That way if you ever fuck up avalaunch it will fall back to booting evox and at least you have ftp etc to fix whatever you broke.

Last edited by Armadillo,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For playing out of region games, at least burned copies of games, you should be able to make the iso of the original xbox game region free by using a program called Qwix or c-xbox tool and Dexbe. I remember doing that a while back to make a pal region copy of conker live and reloaded work on my ntsc original xbox by making it region free before burning it to a disc.

Last edited by cvskid,

GM Otomon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
F: is not a standard partition on a stock xbox hdd.

So it's either complaining about low space, because the previous owner unlocked the extra 2GB on that drive (which becomes F:) and it's full. If you don't see F: when you ftp in, then it's not this.

If there is no F:, then it's just complaining because F: doesn't exist so it thinks it is low. There's probably an option either in avalanch or it's .xml file to stop it looking for F:.

evox you can just just delete the evoxdash.xbe + any other files relating to it. I would leave it though. It won't be taking up that much space and the bios has a boot order of .xbe to look for. If avalaunch is booting, then it's first in the boot order, so I would leave evox. That way if you ever fuck up avalaunch it will fall back to booting evox and at least you have ftp etc to fix whatever you broke.

Oh that is a good idea, guess I will keep it :) And I did as you said and deactivated Drive F.. no more errors! Been testing out a few roms in different emulators, and they all work perfectly! :)

For playing out of region games, at least burned copies of games, you should be able to make the iso of the original xbox game region free by using a program called Qwix or c-xbox tool and Dexbe. I remember doing that a while back to make a pal region copy of conker live and reloaded work on my ntsc original xbox by making it region free before burning it to a disc.

As I managed to install Avalaunch on my Xbox, I will running games off my HDD... I noticed there is an option to change region, will give it a shot next time I download a PAL game.

Anyways thanks so much to everyone who posted on this topic! I am really happy with the results, let see how long the actual Xbox lasts lol... good thing I can at least backup my saves using FTP! :)

Reactions: cvskid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup